Race Vagga (concept)

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by RoboticRavenMage, Feb 20, 2014.

?

Do you want to see the Vagga in starbound?

1. Yes! I want to be a mountain of a man/woman.

25.0%
  2. No, i'd rather not.

75.0%
  1. RoboticRavenMage

RoboticRavenMage Subatomic Cosmonaut

This thread is a CONCEPT. I am going to see how the community reacts to this idea before putting time and effort into art, sprites, etc.

Basic concept
    Hyper intelligent plats take over piles of rocks, and using their roots, transform them into humanoid forms.

Biology
    The Vagga (i believe that's rock in swedish) are a race of hyper intelligent plant-based life forms. They have the ability to move their roots extremely quickly and with great dexterity. The roots originally evolved this ability to get the most nutrients out of an area, by moving the roots around to collect the most water possible. Then, being the hyper intelligent plant- based life forms that they are, they collected piles of rocks and formed them into humanoid shapes to move to different locations and combat predators who wish to access the extremely nutritious sap contained within the small trees. The rocks used are a very special kind of rocks, they are rocks that have spectreem crystals growing on them. Spectreem crystals are very beneficial to plant growth, and can be tilted to reflect light into an opponents eye to blind them momentarily. Spectreem crystals come in all colors and are often used in stained glass windows for their ability to let almost all of the light through.

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Going purely off what you've provided, I'd say the main issue with the race would be comparison to the Florans. After all, they are also a plant-based race. That doesn't necessarily mean that there couldn't be room for two, but you would need to make the race sufficiently different to keep them interesting.

Pixelstomp likes this.
  3. RoboticRavenMage

Yes, i think that if the race were implemented, people would refer to them as: "the rock race". Although the plant is the actual living thing, the idea was based off of stone people.

4. Malachai18

Malachai18 Tentacle Wrangler

I like it. Maybe you could make the blinding thing their armor ability, using the armor as just a technological improvement to their crystals. I can already invision the revival idea. What are their alien relations?

5. RoboticRavenMage

Yes, light will definitely become a big part of the weapons and armor of this race. Lightsabers anyone?

6. Malachai18

Light based weapons might make it hard for it to use another race's weapons (ex: my avian keeps a glitch crossbow for hunting). Why would they need meat as food our even need a humanoid frame in their world. And how did they become super intelligent.

Again, foreign relations policies, anyone?

7. Malachai18

Sorry if that last part sounded cruel. I tend to be a bit hard headed (eh? Eh?... [sigh] never mind)

8. RoboticRavenMage

It's okay. Yes, i realize that there are some plot holes and stuff in the story. Im working on it.

9. GreyJack

GreyJack Aquatic Astronaut

I'm sorry my friend but i believe you are confusing "a rock" with "to rock", you know like you rock a baby. That's what "vagga" means anyway.
    It is also used for the word "cradle".

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014