Viable Throwable Weapons

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by EchoesOfRain, Feb 3, 2014.

1. EchoesOfRain

EchoesOfRain Big Damn Hero

Throwable weapons, such as kunai, needles, shuriken, etc. could really use a bit of a buff. I see them as an alternate weapon type, along with guns and swords, but they basically have no use right now, for a couple of reasons;

1. They are weak. You won't be doing any viable damage to anything in the X sector
    2. They are consumable. Once you throw a kunai, that's a kunai lost. As opposed to guns, throwables actually do have an ammo system; Once used, its gone
    3. Rarity and stacking. If you are lucky enough to find some throwables, not only do they come in sets of only about 2 or 3, but there are several sorts of throwables that can't stack with each others, so combat with them can be very awkward if u have to use a couple kunai, switch to a few shuriken, then a needle or two. That's a lot of valuable space taken up in your inventory

My suggestion (just a suggestion, not necessarily the best...);
    1.make throwables a single weapon type with unlimited uses.
    2.The damage they deal is not a set amount of dps, but they scale off of target health. Each throwable type has different target health%:attack speed ratios, just like different guns and swords do, so needles will fire much faster than a throwing axe, but deal much less target hp%.
    3. Holding left mouse button fires like a gun would, but holding right click charges it up, doing some sort of special action at the cost of energy. Needles and kunai could shoot 3 times in one shot, axes could make the projectile faster and stronger, and shuriken could fire 3 in an outwards cone.

BONUS: attacks on enemies that haven't targeted you do a bit extra damage

With these changes, I feel like throwable weapons could become a viable weapon choice. It's different enough from guns, swords, and bows in that an alpha throwable could be just as viable in late game due to target hp% damage, but it would need to keep a very low % damage to balance them.

Thoughts?

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  2. Spacebear Cube

Spacebear Cube Poptop Tamer

This makes it a bit too OP, so I would recommend just making them craftable. They should have to be found before you can create them, but you should be able to craft them after you do. It would be like finding flesh or bone; it unlocks new blueprints. They would require pixels to make in order for them to be fair.

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  3. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

Or, leave the damage, but have them more tactically useful. It might be interesting to make a mod where you can craft more tiered versions of each throwable, where each level instead of increasing the damage they do they'd instead become better versions of themselves. The "Throwing Boulder II" would have a buffed throwback. The "Molotov Cocktail II" would have an increase radius that fire would spawn, and the Bomb II would have an increased radius that it exploads, maybe leaving behind a Molotov cocktail fire as well.

Also, there was a mod way back that made each throwable retrievable. That really made them much more viable just with that.

4. Jappards

Jappards Void-Bound Voyager

Having them work as a weapon with unlimited uses would be pretty OP, but I do agree that the current throwable weapons aren't viable because they are consumables. I have a different way of reworking them to solve the consumable problem(I don't know about their weakness though):

Throwable weapons would have charges(this would also mean that you only need 1 item, as opposed to a stack). Throwing a certain weapon would remove 1-3 charges, depending on the weapon. Charges would be replenished every 15-30s, depending on the weapon. Having no charges would mean that you can't throw anything, but the item would stay in your inventory. There would also be throwable packs, consumables that replenish charges of a certain throwable.

5. LostSeeker

LostSeeker Subatomic Cosmonaut

I dunno, when I go exploring, I get a crapton of the things to throw. Sometimes, I'll simply slot them cause they're there and I have so many of em.

Biggest advantage to them is that they don't use energy, so you can just sit there (or hang from the ceiling via grapple hook) and throw them nonstop. Compared to the current top tier weapons (that have a higher damage to energy usage ratio), they can deal pretty consistent damage, provided you're accurate. As it is, Energy javelins aren't too different from hurling semi-trucks at monsters and people. Don't get me started on Molotovs, those things freaking HURT.

I DO eventually run out, but then I cycle onto something different like throwing axes. Usually my inventory has about 3 to 4 kinds of throwables in it at a time from my travels.

6. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

This is a great weapon, much better than the failed firearms.

7. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

I dunno, shuriken are pretty good, even late game. Almost always come in stacks of 40, and almost no waiting required before throwing the next one. You can unload them into mobs pretty quickly, and the way they stun enemies i dont even have to worry about getting hit.

I do think that a damage bonus for hitting unwary opponents would be a neat touch tho.

8. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

Making them take away a certain percent of the target's HP would probably make them pretty OP in boss fights. I'd say just make their damage scale with the player's armor tier, just like pets and normal weapons.