Visit Sol (Our Solar System)

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Teletric, May 16, 2014.

?

Good Idea?

1. Yes (as is.)

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Yes (as Easter Egg.)

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. No

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Teletric

Teletric Void-Bound Voyager

I realize that Earth has been devoured by a giant space tentacle monster but why should that stop us from visiting other planets in our solar system? What I am suggesting is that we should be able to visit our solar system. This could be an Easter Egg with hidden coordinates, it doesn't really matter to me. What matters is that we get this in the game!

Planets
    Mercury - Volcano Planet, filled only with volcanos
    Venus - Arid Planet w/ Poison Water and Acid Rain
    Earth - Barren planet w/ Tentacle Biome, Destroyed Human Settlements or Asteroid Field w/ Tentacle Biome
    Mars - Normal Desert Planet w/ red sand
    Asteroid Field - Between Mars and Jupiter
    Jupiter - Gas Giant; Can't land
    Saturn - Gas Giant w/ Rings; Can't land
    Uranus - Gas Giant w/ Rings; Can't land
    Neptune - Gas Giant; Can't land
    Pluto - Individual Moon drifting in space. Can't call it Dwarf Planet anymore. (Thanks International Astronomical Union!)

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  2. Lord Bit

Lord Bit Space Penguin Leader

Ooh! This gave me an idea, but it'd only be a visual idea. Rings for planets? I haven't played Starbound in a bit so sorry if they're already in, but it'd be cool to see some of the bigger planets with rings; of course most of them would be gas giants.

Jeoshua likes this.
  3. wolfboyft

wolfboyft Pangalactic Porcupine

CORRECTION! Sol, or The Solar System, our Star System.

4. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

That would be really awesome, especially if Earth could be part of the endgame human quest, and you could save it and then live there.

5. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

I don't think that Sol would be a good place to visit, what with how the game actually generates all locations procedurally. But I do think that using our Solar system as a point of reference to check out how the randomly generated planetary systems stack up is a good idea... and Starbound is found lacking, in my mind.

The way the system is set up right now, we would never get a planetary system the slightest bit like our own, with small rocky planets sitting close to the star, a big asteroid belt with a few planetoids, several gas giants with many, many moons, and on the edge another field of icy planetoids like Pluto, Eris, Makemake, Haumea, etc. The system just would never generate anything that detailed and realistic, and that, in my opinion, is one of the biggest things about planetary systems that needs to be changed. If the system will never generate anything remotely similar to any example of a real planetary system that we know of, it's not a very good system, is it?

(Oh, and Pluto isn't a solitary moon, that doesn't even compute. It's a Kuiper Belt Object, along with the ones mentioned above. They are frozen planetoids, in the Kuiper Belt, beyond the orbit of Neptune. They're the outer-system equivalent of the Asteroid Belt objects like Ceres and Vesta)

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  6. Teletric

Teletric Void-Bound Voyager

I know it isn't, but there aren't any "Dwarf Planets" in Starbound. The closest thing would be a moon.
    Also, I liked Pluto when it was a planet. >:-(
    Some Gas Giants already have rings in Starbound. If you haven't seen them, you are probably having bad luck. :p

7. wolfboyft

wolfboyft Pangalactic Porcupine

Visit ALL the home planets!

8. BurningSprite

BurningSprite Big Damn Hero

Can I be a Glitch and go to Earth and be like "All your planets are belong to us"? If so, you have my support, also could we land on Saturn and Uranus's rings? They could be like asteroid fields with balls of ice
    BTW: The lore says the USCM are planning on taking back Earth and currently they are living on Mars, so maybe they could help in the human end-game quest?

9. Oguzomlet

Oguzomlet Intergalactic Tourist

Small correction:venus is the hottest planet so it should be the volcano one

10. Guapito23456

Guapito23456 Yeah, You!

Jupiter and Neptune have Rings in Real Life. What is the Coordinates to the Sol System?

11. Guapito23456

Guapito23456 Yeah, You!

The Tentacle Monster is called The Ruin