Warning! Location Unstable!

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Sly_Guy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Sly_Guy

Sly_Guy Void-Bound Voyager

Unstable Planets/Worlds & Solar Systems
    • When a planet/world is generated, it will have the possibility of gaining the state Unstable
      • Examples:
        • Highly Volcanic Planet
          • A planet would have many volcanoes and would actually have something close to lava seas.
          • When the disaster native to this state of instability occurs, the sea levels will begin to rise to the point where no land is visible. This disaster actually doesn't destroy the planet but more along the lines of make it "unusable" and in-explorable for a temporary period of time.
        • High Tectonic Plate Activity on a Planet
          • A planet would experience small tremors often and full blown earthquakes periodically.
          • When the mini disaster native to this state of instability occurs, a massive earthquake will destroy structures and geographic formations will be destroyed or created depending on the specific formation (ex: overhanging cliff = destroyed, valley/ravine = created).
          • When the disaster native to this state of instability occurs, the planet will basically rip itself apart. This disaster destroys the planet. This could also be a way of creating asteroid fields and things of the like.
        • Highly Damaged Space Station/Ship
          • A space station/planet would have many structural damages causing it to slowly fall apart.
          • When the disaster native to this state of instability occurs, the space station/ship will quickly begin to fall apart or begin exploding. This disaster destroys the space station/ship.
    • When a solar system is generated, it will have the possibility of gaining the state Unstable
      • Examples:
        • Dieing Star
          • When the disaster native to this state of instability occurs, the star will die and the solar system will either be destroyed with it or will simply become dark and cold.
    There would be a tool you could carry around warning you of how dangerous the state of the planet/world/solar system is at the current time. A small amount of time before a disaster, this tool would begin to warn you of the great danger about to occur and that you should leave or seek appropriate shelter.

2. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

Would also be a quite good way to integrate these things into some quests, like rescueing people from a planet or space station that is falling apart, or saving a couple of species of animals that would go extinct if you don't save them. Or you would be send on such a planet to investigate and analyze the causes of the disruption.

3. Space Sphere

Space Sphere Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If this were to happen, perhaps higher difficulty planets and star systems have a higher chance of these events occuring?
    Because I can imagine some ragequit when you accidentally build your base in an earthquake zone.

4. Red Space Monkey

I would say that such events are premade, which means that a planet always starts off as an unstable location, so you're always aware of the danger. Those planets would be prohibited from becoming your homeworld to prevent anger about a destroyed base.

5. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Big Damn Hero

YES! My stronghold/fortress that took me 1337 hours to build is finally finished! *Tremors* FUUUU

6. Sly_Guy

Sly_Guy Void-Bound Voyager

Red Space Monkey is correct. The planet/world/solar system is in a state of instability from the beginning after its generation. I like the idea of prohibiting building on the planet but how about more like greatly warning the player before they try and do any building of any sort but prohibiting home world building only. Also, no disasters or mini disasters would occur while the player is out of the solar system the planet/world belonged to. This is to avoid unexplainable miss happens.

7. Red Space Monkey

True that, this way the player is not unnecessarily blocked in his creativity or style of playing. Maybe he wants to feel the challenge that everytime he visits his home world everything could be turned to dust. This would be especially cool for people like me, who like to tell a story with the way they play a game.