Notice Warning Points Changes

Discussion in 'Forum Info & Announcements' started by Katzeus, Jan 17, 2017.

1. You need a plugin. https://xenforo.com/community/resources/warning-improvements-by-xon.4156/

There may be a way to change it in the Admin CP too, but only those with system permissions would be able to access it -- not the aesthetic permissions moderators have.

The tab is also only visible if there are warnings to see to begin with. A user with 0 warnings won't have a warning tab in their profile. (I think you can change this too in the Admin CP/Plugin as well)

Typically the public page will display a brief description of the warning, date the warning was issued, number of points for the warning, the expiration date for that warning, and a link (unless it was deleted) to the post/thread showing the content that earned the warning. Pretty similar to the moderation view, but with a few less controls (obvi).

It's a quality of life implementation for users that someone recommended years ago.

[​IMG]

Jonesy and EchoMania like this.
  2. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

How many points i have
    I remember 2 or 3 but i think those expired over the last years

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

None at the moment. But previous warnings will be taken into account, even if the points have expired.

4. Jilly Bob the Third

Jilly Bob the Third Star Wrangler

Could an admin start with a gentle warning, then a stern warning then go to a ban?

Cuz if I were a moderator I wouldn't go to banning so quickly, I think it's harsh and not necessary unless the rule breaker goes far off the rails and won't listen even then I'd start with a minor ban and go to permanent only if the rule breaker starts being dangerous or can't get him to listen even after a week ban.

5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

That's... how it already works...

Assuming it's a minor offense, most users won't even receive a warning point the first time around. But if the behavior repeats, they start to get warning points, leading to a temporary ban of a short length. They'll have received at least a couple of warnings before that, and have plenty of opportunity to improve. The exception is for more severe offenses, but those are clearly listed in the forum rules and are comparatively rare besides.

At the end of the day, registering an account here is an automatic agreement to follow the rules. Most users never receive a single warning, and any that do will be for a minor slip-up that doesn't lead to anything. Very few people get banned in a short amount of time, and in my experience they're no great loss to the community.

6. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

If we feel like something is only worth a talking to, then that's what we do. But if people keep wrongdoing then we get tougher with our actions. We only ban members if its necessary.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  7. Mr. the dude

Mr. the dude Intergalactic Tourist

I kinda wonder:
    Who was the first to get banned here?

8. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Wait, have I've been warned? I know I had a comment removed because it was a reply to a spam comment that got removed, but have I actually been in trouble?

9. Hel

Not from what I can see...

10. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

That is good. I try to make an effort at not being that guy.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  11. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Jonesy mentioned it before, if you really mess up and do get a warning point you get a PM explaining why. I thought I'd messed up before but that wasn't the case. I like how the mods here are pretty... well, lenient is probably the wrong word but I'mma use it anyway, on one-time offenses. Really adds to the chill, friendly athmosphere we've got here I value so much.

12. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

Excuse me, I've gotten 2 warnings in my time being here, and both were for incredibly minor things (such as making a 'one word post'). Do these still count as warning points? 'Cause I don't think I got banned or anything..

13. Hel

This is something really I don't think should be discussed publically. I'll let you know in a PM

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  14. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

Huzzah! I has no points!