1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Water Cave Area (Originated from a dream O.O)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Fox0427, May 17, 2013.

1. Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

I had a dream. A really weird one. But it was freaking awesome! In the dream, I watched PaperBatVG (If you don't know him, he's a really cool guy on YouTube.) play Risk of Rain. It was in a dream though, so it wasn't normal Risk of Rain. Not even close. The first level, was in three dimensions for some reason. It had the same goal and enemies though. The area was islands instead of the normal too, but that doesn't matter. Well, maybe it does, maybe it means Risk of Rain will one day be a really cool 3D game, but that isn't what I came to talk about. I'm here to talk about the area after that: The Water Cave. From the commentary and game play, this is what I gathered: First of all, there's water. No duh. But it isn't like Mega Man water, you actually swim in it. Second of all, instead of a teleporter, there's a door. Why? Because... Finally, the door leads to a room which is no doubt, the coolest part. You're on a ledge, hanging over a straight down pit to the teleporter, and it's filled with water. What do you do? You jump in, and survive waves of different jellyfish, as well as a boss, for 90 seconds. The screen scrolls down constantly. At the bottom is the teleporter, and when you reach it you'll have to kill the remaining boss and enemies, of course. The boss I saw was a half-squid half-crab, with no name apparently. It had a few attacks: One, it used its huge pincers to try and hit you. Two, it swam from top to bottom, bottom to top twice, trying to ram into you. Last, he shoots lasers at you while moving back and forth at the top of the screen... Yeah I don't know about that last attack. Also, the name of this place should probably be changed. That's it, just thought this was cool and should totally be added in.

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

I usually love how creative dreams can be, and that you managed to catch one and post it here is great.

bounding star likes this.
      • Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

Thanks! I think that my mind is awesome for making a dream like this, and also that it would be awesome for something like that to be in game! Imagine it, going down a huge pit of water while fighting a giant half-squid half-crab. Would that not be awesome!? Also, I don't think I can really credit myself for thinking of this idea, can I? I mean, technically I did, but technically I didn't...

Treadlight likes this.
        • Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

Game dreams that introduce "new" mechanics are really cool. I haven't had any for RoR yet, but I've had them for a lot of others, including games I haven't even played... WoW, LoL, DotA2, Terraria, Dark Souls... It's only a matter of time, I guess.

Thanks for sharing yours! It's really cool sounding and would make for a neat level if Game Maker could manage it!

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

I'm pretty sure it would be manageable in Game Maker.

• Engio

Engio Space Penguin Leader

You could simulate water with heavily reduced gravity and two way motion. Although spriting swimming sprites and underwater versions of every attack might be a little much.

If I might say what does seem particularly cool is the idea of elevators. Having a moving screen and surviving on them.

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

Yeah, I guess it would be much... But it would be worth it to make the game even more amazing!

Treadlight likes this.
                • Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

Water levels never sit well with me, drowning and/or giant underwater fish/monsters :<
                  But that aside, seems like it could be interesting to have something like in the game, I can image it being pretty pretty :3

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

Well, according to this dream you can't drown in the water there. I mean, how else would you swim down for 90 seconds? Giant underwater fish/monsters sound awesome to me. Yep, it would be pretty pretty!

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

Useless Comment