Modding Discussion Weather FPS increase mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by ToddAndChips, Apr 14, 2018.

1. ToddAndChips

ToddAndChips Tentacle Wrangler

Hi folks,

I made a very quick weather mod that reduces the amount of particles on screen when it's raining, snowing, stormy, and various other weather types. It also reduces the lifetime of the falling particles. For me, it makes a difference of about 12 FPS in the rain (I don't have a particularly slow PC, but it used to drop my frames surprisingly heavily whenever there's a lot of rain on screen).

If anybody has had similar FPS issues and/or anybody would like to test it out in various locations, I would welcome all feedback! Bear in mind it's a performance mod and not built for appearance (most weather types are reduced in density by about 75-80%), so feedback about improvements in performance or, of course, diminished performance would be gratefully accepted.

Note: I haven't played a massive amount of Starbound, so I think the only weather I've experienced are normal types of rain and storm, falling snow, and possibly a sandstorm. Feedback on other weather types is especially appreciated!

Attached is a .7z archive containing the weatheroptimiser.pak, which should work as a patch when placed in /Starbound/mods

Thanks to anybody who can help!

Todd

Attached Files:

2. Kulu

Kulu Space Hobo

Ty♥