[WebApp] Stardew Predictor -- Gaze into the future of your farm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MouseyPounds, Feb 23, 2018.

1. GhostfireCS

GhostfireCS Poptop Tamer

Hey, it's me again. Is it possible to predict the weather with the available data and maybe even what we can expect to find in the quarry? Would be pretty nice :)

Edit: Quarry*

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

Both weather and quarry generation are based on the primary Game1 RNG which includes number of steps taken in the seed. So neither are predictable long-term.

• Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

Nice icons!
        I was wondering, is it possible to show the geode list of farmhands too?

• Tyndel

Tyndel Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, I just want to say thanks for this script, it really helps to know the first few Traveler Cart items.

I want to ask about overnight events. Are the location checks for them also predetermined by the GameID and their date? If yes, would it be possible to show them on the app?

• MouseyPounds

It may be, but I don't really have a good way to test multiplayer. The one thing I do know is that each person's "geodes opened" is tracked separately. If you can co-ordinate with one of your farmhands to do an experiment, it'd be useful to find out if they both go off the same list (i.e. the host's gameID) in which case the current prediction would work as long as you follow the right count.

The location checks are generally picking a random spot (or spots) on the farm and seeing if there is a suitable crop to grow, or a coop with an empty spot, etc. While it is somewhat possible to simulate that check on the current day, it isn't possible to do so for future days and so really isn't suitable for "prediction."

• Tyndel

Does that mean reloading a save from ~2 days ago may give a different result on the night of the event?

• MouseyPounds

In some cases it might; it depends on the event. Quoting Claranon from earlier: "I was at first worried when a fairy was predicted and didn't fire, but I reverted the save and planted a huge field of crops and then the fairy came just fine." I've tried seeing if I could at least pinpoint the target tile so there is some guideline on what might need to change on the farm, but so far I have been unable to reproduce the exact spot.

• Tyndel

Hmm, I'm currently trying to figure out if a meteorite on the very first day is predetermined. There is a mod that fixes the GameID, so I guess I can test that with e.g 187118130

edit: Yeah, so this GameID will always spawn a meteorite in the same spot on day 1. So at least on this first day, it entirely depends on GameID and farm layout.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
                  • MouseyPounds

Yeah, perhaps I wasn't clear before. The location chosen should be predictable because the random seed is still just based on gameID & daysPlayed, but the variability of the actual farm layout is what keeps this from being reliable to predict long-term. If you keep the same layout, the event will reliably trigger (or not trigger) on that day.

That said, my attempts to fortell that exact location are not working, which is why it is not in the app. For example, on the Stone Owl & Strange Capsule test saves I posted earlier, the item appears at 32,11 but my attempts to simulate the target currently come up with 40,11.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
                    • shadow1fire

shadow1fire Space Hobo

Love the app (and the other one as well for checking achievements) and I was wondering if you were able to add other things to this such as what appears in artifact spots, when special floors appear in skull caverns, and what appears in fishing chests?

I would assume the last one (fishing chests) is too difficult and skull caverns might be unreliable as well when compared to the normal mines being more static but I would think artifact spots could be doable. You've probably already checked all of these and seen they're too unpredictable but figured I'd ask anyway, thanks for all the work!

• MouseyPounds

Only some things are predictable ahead of time because they explicitly seed the random number generator with a known value. Fishing results and the Skull Cavern levels are not seeded like that so they are not predictable.

Artifact results are predictable, but they depend in part on the coordinates of the dig spot, which cannot be known more than a day in advance. I try and restrict this app to things which can be predicted far in advance, so that doesn't quite fit what I want to do. However, the author of the Stardew Valley Helpers app uses the RNG simulator from Stardew Predictor to do exactly that; try running your save through that app's "Artifact Finder."

• shadow1fire

shadow1fire Space Hobo

Dang, that's upsetting, but neat knowing the artifact thing already exists, thanks for the heads up!

• Saraneth

Saraneth Big Damn Hero

Heyo. ^_^ Checking in to see how the update is coming for 1.3.

I've just run into an issue with the geodes, game ID 193646546. Geodes 1 through 12 opened as expected. I saved my one Omni Geode for #13 for the Fire Quartz, but instead received the Earth Crystal.

I will report again if I find any further differences. Thank you again for your work!

• MouseyPounds

Aside from this geode issue, the Predictor should be working just fine for 1.3. The main change was supporting the Night Market on the Travenling Cart page and that was done pretty early in the beta period. I tried a test save using your ID and can confirm that omni geode #13 was an Earth Crystal for me too. Interestingly, the Geode Info menu mod which gives an in-game prediction for geode results also inaccurately predicted Fire Quartz so I'll have to do some further digging to see what's up. Thanks for the report.

EDIT: Geode predictions should be fixed, but Winter Star predictions are apparently broken. :cry:

EDIT #2: Winter Star should now be fixed and was changed to show just 1 year at a time since it lists all players on MP saves.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
                                Saraneth likes this.
                              • margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

I don't think this is said often enough: @MouseyPounds, you are a stone cold genius. I give you virtual hugs for your apps (again)!

MouseyPounds, Saraneth and BentFX like this.
                                • MouseyPounds

Someone on GitHub had suggested the idea of adding Krobus' shop inventory (he has a random fish on Wed and random cooked dish on Sat) and I added that tab today along with some bugfixes. As far as I know, the app has fully incorporated SDV 1.3 changes so I also bumped the version up to 2.0.

Sleeping Fox, margotbean and Saraneth like this.
                                  • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

@MouseyPounds

It might just be coincidence, but twice now I've opened the predictor when the game is running, and subsequently experienced an end of day crash. I can't recall it happening before, and I also don't usually use this tool, but I really wanted an early CC finish in this farm so I've used it this time. I haven't the faintest idea whether it is even possible that your predictor could cause this, what do you think? Is there something in this, or did I just start running bad?

EDIT: I'm on PC looking at save files, and the crash seems to be caused by obstructing one of the _old files from being replaced, requiring administrator permission. Instead a temporary file is created, so at least the day's progress can still be recovered with some renaming, once the predictor window is closed. I rather think now that it might be somehow related, but I really am clueless with this sort of stuff, so I have no idea how or why. And unreserved apologies if I'm wrong.

SECOND EDIT: Yeah, I really think it must be this. I remember now, previously I would just type the game ID in the address bar, without browsing for the file, and use the buttons to move through the dates from the beginning for the merchant cart, but that's not possible now after a recent change, so you actually have to access the file, and suddenly the game crashes

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
                                    • MouseyPounds

@One More Day : That's really strange. I use both apps like that all the time and never have any problems. What web browser and OS version do you use?

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I don't want to squash what you're saying, but that is my job here. :D

No, but really... To me it sounds like a stretch that the Predictor site would be causing the problem. It appears it's just using the standard file upload functionality of the web browser which is sandboxed to only be allowed read access to files you select. If there is some sort of read/write collision going on the OS or disk controller should handle that properly since it's an issue that could be present in any disk activity.

As an aside, I do agree It would be very nice if the Predictor could use an ID, or other info in the URL to create a permalink to basic RNG information. As an alternate to persistent URLs it would be nice, at the least, if links within the Predictor loaded in blank tabs, so that if a user inadvertently clicks a link it doesn't require a reload of the game file.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

When I said I'm clueless with this sort of stuff, I really did mean it.

I'm the gray side of 40, so I didn't grow up with computers, and although I learned specific pieces of software, I never really had to learn how they work "behind the scenes"; as far as I'm concerned they are magic boxes that are not for the likes of me to fathom out, and I literally didn't understand at least half of what you just said, even though I suspect you used the easiest words to explain it :(

If I'm wrong then so be it, I'm sorry, maybe the problem really is my end and what happened really was just a coincidence .

Internet Explorer 11 and Windows 10 version 1803

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018