WIP Welcome to the Rice Fields Mod

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by SgtPineapple1st, Mar 4, 2016.

1. WirlWind

WirlWind Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awesome, can't wait to see all of these in the game :)

SgtPineapple1st likes this.
    • SgtPineapple1st

SgtPineapple1st Subatomic Cosmonaut

Doing all the descriptions now.

• Whiteshade

Whiteshade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm excited to watch this mod progress, excellent ideas!

• SgtPineapple1st

So... apparently xnb is no longer something to be modded... meaning I have to scrap this entire fucking mod and wait for the API.

• Sithgrim

Sithgrim Big Damn Hero

Sorry to hear that. I can only imagine the pain of having to re-code everything. I will definitely be following this mod should you chose to continue it. Maybe while you wait for the modding API to become more solid and standard you could work on more art assets and crunch numbers for additional crops you have planned? Do you plan to balance these crops around the crops already in the game or are you going to re-balance those crops as well? I was also wondering as you are already making crops would it be possible to make a grass/feed crop to better control feed for animals and make them more viable as a whole?

• SgtPineapple1st

I will look into that. I'm not the best at balancing things, but trial and error is good to me.

• Skydruid

Skydruid Aquatic Astronaut

Cotton is definitely needed. Spinning it to cloth would be awesome. And looking forward to making Sake with your Rice. Just wish I could make my Mead in this game...

• SgtPineapple1st

That is also a thought of mine.

• SgtPineapple1st

I just discovered that Hemp is Industrial Cannabis...

• Neephington

Neephington Aquatic Astronaut

It's a legetimate crop, it's everywhere are it's really useful. It is used in a lot of stuff as ropes, fibers, oils and plastic. It's a relative to the cannabis plant but it's not to be confused with it as it does not have the amount of THC content to be considered a drug.
                      They were selling Hemp seed in the store in Sweden where I live as a bird feed, which is the main product at the moment which the seeds are solds as.

Trying to get high on hemp is like trying to get high by eating poppy seed bagels.

• SgtPineapple1st

Lol yeah, I know. It was just a surprise. I didn't know what half the crops I was adding were. I knew they existed, but that's it.

• Acrimonia

Acrimonia Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm still doing my mods by XNB. Storm won't obviate 'simple' mods like this, just allow for more complexities. You'll need it for the industrial and mechanical stuff most likely (or maybe not, it depends on how complex you want the interactions to be), so unless you're set on packaging it as a .dll, it's safe to keep going on XNBs.
                          Anyway, even if I'm wrong, getting placeholder dialogue up, spriting, planning et all is never time wasted.
                          And I'll definitely help out later, but again - I've gotta finish up my portraitwork and a proof-of-concept first.

• SgtPineapple1st

I know that the API is required for my mechanical changes, but the current process for add crops through the API is very... clunky and time consuming from what I've seen. The issue is that XNB requires extraction and repacking every time the game updates while API mods claim that game updates aren't an issue. I am continuing my XNB stuff though and the spriting.

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

I am right now making a Sprinkler mod.

I plan later in helping with crops and industry mod, specially because I want to add some obvious products (Mead from Honey, Bourbon from Corn, Sake if you have this rice mod installed, and so on).

BlushingCreep likes this.
                              • Galebourn

Galebourn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You know what would be awesome? Making fishing nets from hemp, but I guess that would be way too difficult... well, maybe someone could mod crab baskets to work like fishing nets and resprite it.
                                At least hemp oil is a must.

• Acrimonia

It is indeed a concern. I raised it over the main thread, but the concern seems to be the power level of the API rather then intuitiveness. That's a decision and it's fine, but it is my hope that eventually the process is rendered less time consuming, because I'd rather pack and re-pack XNBs then deal with a process that will take me more time then the actual ground work. Anyway, hoping to have a proof-of-concept for Thelma up by the end of the week at the latest; do you have specific crops you'd like to start seeing sprites for, or can I just go in any order I like?

Honestly, I'd love to see 'Naval Rigging' as an artisan good, since the world of Stardew Valley seems to be set in a weird hybrid of modernity and the recent past. Complex to create, probably involving other artisan goods, but quite pricey.
                                  Also, fishing nets could basically be crab pots, but with different yields. Not sure how to make them balanced, but it'd be cool.

• SgtPineapple1st

Mead is actually one of the things I'm planning to add along with a brewery station to allow players to flavor fermented drinks with Vanilla Beans, Oranges, etc. to make them more valuable.

Acrimonia likes this.
                                    • SgtPineapple1st

I compiled a Google Doc with all my crops on it. I can share that with you if you'd like.

Acrimonia likes this.
                                      • SgtPineapple1st

• Acrimonia

This is looking absolutely fantastic. Irrigation shovel for terrace farming could be cool for a lot of other things, too; one of the late-game 'problems' people face is having too mcuh room and not enough space.
                                        More crops = more thought on what to plant, but having a whole other type of soil? That's a good balance idea, too. You might want to mention it over at the game revamp thread sometime...
                                        I'll crunch some ideas for prices if you'd like; what's more true to your vision for the mod, in-game 'balance' or trying to match up stuff to real-world pricing? (Or some other option?)