WIP Welcome to the Rice Fields Mod

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by SgtPineapple1st, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Ultimuh

Ultimuh Phantasmal Quasar

A small idea started forming in my head this morning: Smoked fish. (or anything that could be smoked really.)
    Would anything like that be of use?

Also, I though of some sort of drying machine as well, but it seems like Syndoku got that covered with the dehydrator.
    (Suddenly, I got the cravings for dried cod.)

edit: Also, mead. Why is mead not a thing in this game? (honey+keg+time=mead)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    • Syndoku

Syndoku Poptop Tamer

• Ultimuh

Ultimuh Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah I noticed that. Kind of dumb of me to skim through texts without actually reading stuff.

• Lead_poisoning

Lead_poisoning Void-Bound Voyager

This looks awesome! Sorry about your API difficulties but I love all the ideas pitched so far so I hope you're able to get past these issues. I have a little experience with spriting and would be willing to contribute, though I've never done plants before so it will take some practice.

SgtPineapple1st likes this.
          • Drogean

Drogean Scruffy Nerf-Herder

• WirlWind

WirlWind Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not sure if this was ever fully explained:

He's talking about the super crops you get when (for ex) you plant cauliflower in a 3x3 area. It has a chance of growing into a GIANT cauliflower that's only harvest-able with an axe and drops a ton of produce.

Also, my 2c on pricing:

While game balance is something you should strive for, I also think that having some of the cheapest staples in farming (like rice) cost a TON of cash for seeds is a little weird imo.

SOME realism would be nice, don't try too hard to be realistic, but also don't stray TOO far from reality. For ex: I think that rice seeds should be cheap and have low profits, instead making money through high bonus items while harvesting. Harder to grow stuff / rarer seeds should be worth more etc.

• Syndoku

Syndoku Poptop Tamer

Surprise, surprise, I'm female - just to clarify. I'm fairly certain that I explained that I was told "mutant crop" by a friend that plays, but had since Googled and skimmed a post and found a heading calling them "Super Crops".

I'd also like to note that I've since added to my Google doc. (tyvm Ultimuh!) and that anyone with the link is free to edit it.

• themaddoctor

themaddoctor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

so @SgtPineapple1st question, i know your wanting to add more rl crops but have you thought about maybe adding like ore crops?
                like not a crop you buy at the store but like (20 stone + 1 coal = 1 coal seed) copper, iron, and gold, so than you planted it wait a few days, ie 5 or 10 and the just have farmable ore.
                but make them take after blueberries as in that after it grows you'd get about 3 ore from 1 plant. just a idea i had.

• SgtPineapple1st

SgtPineapple1st Subatomic Cosmonaut

I will probably not go into ore crops. I plan to do strictly plants and products.

• SgtPineapple1st

I had a new idea that I want to pass across the forum. Rather than having all my crops available from the start, I want to implement an event each summer in which a merchant arrives in town and unlocks a random line-up of crops with each visit. These crops stay purchasable in Pierre's shop for the rest of the game. I feel this will allow users to grow into the mod without having 46 new crops shoved into their face from the start. I will also have a version in which all the crops are available from the get go to appease those who do not want to wait.

Just an idea.

• SgtPineapple1st

Ok ladies and gentlemen... bad news... there has been literally no progress on Storm since last week in the areas I needed it to progress in. It's a good thing I know jack about C#. I know Java and every once in a while I see patterns in storm's code, but then I try to understand it and I'm confused... this mod may take... a long time. I'm starting to feel like my mod will never be possible... gotta keep a positive mindset though... :nod:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
                      • themaddoctor

themaddoctor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

well than if you dont mind and are able to get your mod up and running (when the time comes for storm to let you.) than i guess ill ask you for your help with making it than. that is if you dont mind

• Syndoku

Syndoku Poptop Tamer

To address this, I was thinking of asking of placing a disclaimer on the front with the mod "***WARNING: Wait until Winter, Year 1 before installing!***". This gives players time to build the funds necessary while not being deprived of either Winter Crops nor the full list of possibilities you plan to implement.

Hoping and praying that Storm gets to where you need it. Falling short of that, either the developer of Storm lends you a hand in understanding how to utilize it so that you may finish your mod, or a modder familiar enough with Storm can step up and lend you a hand.

• SgtPineapple1st

I'd gladly help!

themaddoctor likes this.
                            • Lead_poisoning

Lead_poisoning Void-Bound Voyager

I love this idea.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Any chance of a link to a list of content separated by "Implemented," "In Progress," "To Do," and "No?" Or something like one? Just because it would be nice to be able to double check if something has been suggested and either accepted or rejected, as well as what has already been done, what is in progress, and maybe even a section labeled, "Seeking Help With" for thing that need done that haven't been gotten around to and aren't a priority to straighten out or just need help with?

Superior_s likes this.
                                • SgtPineapple1st

I will do this!

• SgtPineapple1st

Superior_s likes this.
                                  • SgtPineapple1st

None of you will understand this, but Operation Taco of Justice is a go.

• Flother

Flother Big Damn Hero

Definitely going to follow this mod. Although everything in Stardew Valley works in perfect harmony, that's what makes the game so endearing. New crops would be nice, but all of it should work altogether with vanilla SV.
                                      Overall I'm interested in having more different crops, despite the fact that I only plant one kind for every season. X3