1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback What do you think of CONTACT DAMAGE for Glad Giraffe?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by roman.stanash, Jan 12, 2016.

?

Do you want contact damage or do you not want contact damage?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2016.
  1. YES contact damage

13.9%
  2. NO contact damage

69.6%
  3. no preference

16.5%
  1. roman.stanash

roman.stanash Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think you should take damage after a certain time limit when touching a monster.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Gav Featherbeak likes this.
  2. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

Generally, I don't mind contact damage. The game is easy enough in melee and/or short range weapons that I never die from monsters. (I don't use guns for various reasons).

However, I will say that I DON'T like contact damage for very short range weapons like gauntlets & daggers. One has to be so very close to a constantly-moving monster that contact damage is very punishing in that situation. The solution is either make the range of these weapons slightly longer, or remove contact damage.

Otherwise, I really have no preference. (You should add that option to your poll...)

Corraidhín and Toporonin like this.
  3. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

I think it is bad.

4. shampoo

shampoo Orbital Explorer

The game's mechanics aren't the most complex. And by that I mean it's just really simple gameplay, so in that sense I don't mind contact damage. But in general I'm against it for scripted monsters at least. I don't really know how the random ones work to give a better solution.

5. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I explained this in another thread, but I'll put it here too. I don't mind contact damage, but I don't like the default monster attack being occupy the same space as the player. Keep the contact damage, but keep the smarter monster ai of previous versions. The contact damage will be there to prevent the player exploit of occupying the same space as a monster attacking it outside the monster's reach.

6. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

It could be good, but it isn't.
    Needs monsters with actual movement patterns to work.
    Needs players to have decent mobility to work.

roman.stanash likes this.
  7. Gav Featherbeak

Gav Featherbeak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it's most annoying that contact damage is still a thing when you're riding a hoverbike! It would be fine if they couldn't break, but unfortunately they can. Now every time I want to pass a monster I have to get out of my hoverbike, retrieve it, either jump over or kill the monster, and then redeploy it and carry on for about 5 seconds before another monster appears. I realise that autochips are kinda cheap but it's still a hassle to have to take damage from monsters if you decide to just go through them.

8. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Contact damage is icky poo-poo. I want to use these taser gauntlets I made, but the envelope to avoid damage is just too small.

Leif want to punch Bobfae in Bobfaccce, but touching hurtsss Leif for sssome reason.

Gav Featherbeak likes this.
  9. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Il just sneak in these quotes from Tiy on reddit on why contact damage was added:

A quote from Tiy (Tiyuri) on reddit:
    Further explanation in answer to another post asking what he meant:
    Another post by Tiy (Do note that this is taken slightly out of context, the full message talks a bit more about them taking player feedback into account (but not allways agreeing with said feedback) as answer to someone asking):
    Also, theres a rather active 6 page (at this time) thread thats about contact damage http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/contact-damage-why-should-i-like-this.103369/

10. roman.stanash

roman.stanash Subatomic Cosmonaut

Environmental Protection Packs

Armagon has been working on a more satisfying replacement for the nano-skins, that provide protection against the range of biome hazards. Not only are these new wearable protection packs craftable, you can customise them with augmentations that bestow the player with useful buffs. They can also be used in conjunction with your Techs! ( this is cited from 13th January – My backpack is augmented starbound post)
    Do you think it will improve contact damage or do you think that they should still get rid of contact damage?

11. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

I've seen a few of the buffs already and it's just stuff like extra jump height, faster running/swimming speed, that sort of thing. There might be interesting ones in the future, but currently it's just basic things. They should get rid of touch damage, in my opinion.

12. BillMcD

BillMcD Void-Bound Voyager

I think the problem with Contact damage boils down mostly to some weapons being so close range and with so little stagger/damage that attempting to fight with them is just frustrating, IE fist weapons and daggers. Either these weapons would need to disable contact damage for a brief period to allow a few hits, or the whole "fast hits low damage" thing needs to go away. Removing contact damage is a bit on the far end of solutions, and has ramifications for other playstyles. As for contact damaging vehicles while trying to cross the planet, it can be frustrating, but I feel thats an intended cost to just skipping over everything. On the flip side, I wish the hover car took less environmental damage, it seems rather random and difficult to predict.

my 2 cents. Picked the game up over the holidays and have only played on the Glad Giraffe patch.

13. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

I think it makes a lot of sense to have contact damage in regards to hostile monsters. I mean, you're basically in the process of getting mauled in that situation. Even the ranged critters are likely to be taking swipes at you with claws or teeth or some such.

That said, when using a combination of spear and guns being in close like that with a fast monster is a rough situation to get into and quickly leads to death. Course, I'd pick a combination that has a glaring weakness like that >.>

14. Zlyvr

Zlyvr Phantasmal Quasar

Contact damage is gamebreaking feature.
    I'm not going play Starbound without mod that removes it.

Variant and endertrot like this.
  15. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

It's hardly game-breaking. True, it can be annoying in some situations, but TBH, combat in Starbound is not terribly difficult. If you are having trouble, perhaps try a different type of weapon or weapon combo? (I like 2-h swords, or fire/cold boomerangs, or neo-chakram + fire boomerang; spears are also cool with the flurry feature).

16. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I think contact damage is fine, more close range weaponry could probably do with reduced contact damage, but I like the concept, and mixing it in with further monster attacks would be a good idea. :)

I think the question itself is a bit loaded, no one likes things impeding their progress or preventing them from killing a monster with minimal fuss, but fighting beforehand had many exploits found by just running through the target.

Tamorr likes this.
  17. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Personally, I think vehicles should hurt monsters. Running them over and all. Although, hitting an adult Poptop with a hoverbike would realistically probably damage the bike.

18. dareddevil7

dareddevil7 Pangalactic Porcupine

But that was perfect, it's called the F**K it adjustment, fight the thing? NOPE!

19. MetalArrow

MetalArrow Subatomic Cosmonaut

For me, the big problem is the ones who facehug you. Also, there seem to be a lot more monsters on-screen at a given time in this version, which in and of itself isn't bad, but with contact damage is near-impossible to dodge sometimes. It's really irritating.

Variant likes this.
  20. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Agreed, if anything... they could add a little "shockwave" to the punches and daggers, like a little slashing effect a step or two in front of the player, that would dramatically decrease the ammount of times one gets hit using those weapons... and would make their fancy fists way more viable too!

KatherineOfSky likes this.