What Exactly can the Mixed Seeds grow?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hearth Home Farm, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Hearth Home Farm

Hearth Home Farm Void-Bound Voyager

On the wiki it states "Mixed Seeds are a type of seed. When planted, they become random seeds capable of growing in the current season."

Does this include the festival seeds like Strawberries?

• TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

I've never gotten strawberries. It might just be no berries, though I haven't planted it enough in summer or fall to confirm that.

I've also not gotten any garlic or rhubarb from them from planting in the first spring. I HAVE gotten green beans though, so it can do trellis plants.

Gabaw likes this.
      • Hearth Home Farm

Ya, I didn't think that it was a possibility but I just wanted to double check with the vast knowledge of the Elders of the Internet.

• Snurtsnurgle

Snurtsnurgle Star Wrangler

I just have gotten forageable items myself from them, so I just assumed it gave out wild plants. Interesting to know it can do things like green beans. Might have to do a mass planting to see what happens, I found 50 mixed seeds scattered in a bunch of chests. Spring is tomorrow, so I'll report back what I get when they grow.

Edit: I got wheat from it, which is not a forageable item. :facepalm:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
            Borodin and Gabaw like this.
          • MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

i usually get the lower-tier crops that only need like 4-6 days to grow, like parsnips and potatoes in spring for example. but i have gotten some things like corn before so it is completely possible to get some other plants that continue to produce fruit/veggies

i don't think you get flowers from them or any special exclusive crop

edit: whoops i meant parsnips not turnips, sorry lol

ChaosAzeroth, Borodin and Gabaw like this.
            • sketchunter

sketchunter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have gotten artichokes from mixed seeds in year 1, although it is a second year crop. Some say it's a bug, I don't know.

Can you really get green beans? Must be really rare then because I have never gotten them.

• Snurtsnurgle

This spring I got Parsnips, potatoes and cauliflower from the mixed seeds.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Best way to test them is to do a mass planting in the Greenhouse; you'll get a little of everything mixed seeds can grow all at once. I can confirm from my own experiments corn, tomatoes, peppers, wheat, artichokes, pumpkins, radishes, cauliflower, parsnips, potatoes, melons, and eggplants. No berries, no trellis crops (hops, beans, grapes), and no flowers, at least not when I tried filling the Greenhouse with mixed seeds. (I /thought/ I had a strawberry coming up; turned out not to be.) I never got any garlic, amaranth, bok choy, yams, or cabbage, but that might just have been bad luck, some of the crops seem rarer than others-- I got tons of wheat, for example, but only one pumpkin. It also does not seem to include the special crops you get from Sandy in the desert, but, without more testing I can't be sure. (And I'm outta Mixed Seeds now, it took me a few years just to gather enough to fill the Greenhouse once.)

ChaosAzeroth and Borodin like this.
                  • NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

I usually just get foragable plants, and sometimes random low-tier plants

• TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

You two are thinking of Wild Seeds, not mixed seeds. Wild seeds come from the forage bundles and crafting foraged items, mixed seeds come from destroying weeds (and occasionally from the seed maker). I've never gotten any forage from mixed seeds.
                      I've planted a lot of them, and only ever got the one green bean. So I would say it's rare. I definitely notice mixed seeds favoring certain plants over others, though.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                      • Snurtsnurgle

I was coming on now to add an edit my post to correct this, because this is so embarrassing, and I feel really really dumb. Why is it I always remember this stuff when I wake up in the morning? :facepalm:

When I just started out in this game, I planted them next to wild seed in the fall, and I got wheat from the mixed seed. I honestly thought at the time wheat was a wild plant since it looked like grass when it was growing. I learned that they were not wild plants soon after, but it made me remember it that way. :notworthy: I thought it was worth correcting since the information was not right, and it didn't make me feel good not to correct it.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                        • StardewPally

StardewPally Big Damn Hero

The vast majority of the time you'll get forage items, but you can also get seasonal crops. I've never seen any berry plants, but I've gotten hot peppers, radishes, potatoes, cauliflower, wheat, etc.

• jeebie234

jeebie234 Space Hobo

I typically only get the forageable fruit from the particular season (e.g. Autumn = hazelnut, blackberry, etc.)

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I still think people are confusing /Mixed/ Seeds for /Wild/ Seeds. I have never gotten any forage from /Mixed/ seeds, only domesticated crops (i.e. the same as you can buy from Pierre). Wild seeds produce matching forage for the season of their source, which is not random-- you can't get winter crops from summer seeds. Mixed seeds produce random domesticated crops for the season in which you plant them, or any of the three growing seasons at all if you put them in the Greenhouse.

MagicallyClueless and Borodin like this.
                              • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I tried once by accident to plant some wild seeds, only to discover nothing happened--because they were for the wrong season. Wild seeds typically come in packets marked for the appropriate season. Mixed seeds have an unpacked, seeds-sprinkled-randomly icon.

• Hearth Home Farm

Thank you all for the insight. I am attempting to come up with a challenge for stardew and was checking to see if it is viable to beat the game without ever buying seeds and only using what you can aquire for free.

More testing is needed.