Mob What Starbound Mobs should have that Terraria doesn't

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Mazeman911, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Mazeman911

Mazeman911 2.7182818284590...

no one too rad about the virus idea?
    [​IMG]
    Edit: OMG i just noticed im seal broken :sneaky: awesome sauce

2. Mazeman911

i dont understand how you can use temporarily removing certain species of monsters as a griefing tool please explain

3. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

Food bearing monsters, grindables and fish. It'd be rather difficult if these types where removed for just for a whole day

Clockwork likes this.
  4. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

How is it temporary? Whoever kills them gets the egg, and why would they use it if they wanted to kill the species.

Also what autzome said.

5. GhideonVakarian

GhideonVakarian Big Damn Hero

In multi, this could lead to a total fauna annihilation, aka no farm for the colony and the players settled there.
    Quite not cool, don't you think?

6. Sirfailalot

Sirfailalot Void-Bound Voyager

They have combat and non combat creatures right? I'd assume any literal farm would be using non combat creatures. Maybe those can't go extinct >.> Just an idea. And honestly if someone is griefing that hard boot him from the server and blacklist him. (I'm assuming these servers work like Terraria ones as in player controlled, not dedicated Chucklefish handled servers. If I'm wrong I'd really like to know.)

7. GhideonVakarian

GhideonVakarian Big Damn Hero

If you're farming low-tier components, maybe, but how about high-tier one, the ones that need a challenge to be acquaired?
    Still OP IMHO.

8. Sirfailalot

Sirfailalot Void-Bound Voyager

Eh, I'd like to see it as an option maybe. A box you can tick off. I'd REALLY like to be able to drive a species that annoyed me immensely extinct. Though I think it should require a bit more than a virus. Kill about a hundred in a set time and they begin to retreat from you. A alpha or queen or something spawns on the planet and if you kill too many of THOSE they go entirely extinct on that planet. Just because an option is griefable doesn't mean it shouldn't be in. Just look at explosives and using them to blow player housing to chunks. Maybe allow players to restart a population via a cloning device of some type rather than some egg only one person gets. Also Griefable, but less so given you'd really only be driving weaker species into extinction.

9. Mazeman911

prob should give the virus-option to everyone on LAN, you on single player, and the server admin on multiplayer ?

10. Nintendo_Play

Nintendo_Play Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Taking an idea from another sandbox game, SurvivalCraft for the iOS and Android, it manages to make you scared of the night even with the most powerful weapons. Why? Because the game has no armor, and the most powerful mob can kill you in four hits. A normally passive-hostile mob becomes fully hostile and large amounts of them are spawned at night. Usually it is best to stay somewhere where they cannot get you and sleep until morning.
    Starbound is obviously going to have armor though. :unsure: Possibly at night, the enemies get much stronger and more of them appear. There was also the Bad Moon idea of a mob that is only active and hostile during the night. There could be multiple mobs that, while strong, are either not active or hostile during the day, but make it dangerous to go out at night without strong gear.

Mazeman911 likes this.
  11. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Seems pointless. The tier planet you're on will always be hard as long as you have armor from that tier. Having combat only happen at night would just be annoying.

12. Nintendo_Play

I guess I did not explain it enough. :facepalm:
    There would be mobs at all times of the day, however, the mobs during the day are weaker and are the so called "annoyances". The mobs that are exclusively active at night are much tougher to fight and usually are to be avoided, making it dangerous to go outside at night. After all, this thread was about Mazeman's anger that in Terraria, the mobs become weak compared to you later on and the night is not as much of a danger as it should be.

Mazeman911 likes this.
  13. Mazeman911

Exactly.
    i feel the game would have more charm and comfort that way, i mean look at it this way:
    what feels more right:
    1: sitting alone at home, fixing up your house, watching comfortably as you are safe from the outside demons
    OR
    2: rampaging through all of them 1-shotting them

im talking about that feeling you get when theres a rainstorm/blizzard outside and you are sitting indoors, all warm and cozy around a fire in a blanket drinking cocao, compared to the feeling of going outside in 3 layers of jackets rampaging through the storm.
    that pretty much sums up what im trying to get across here.

14. DracoHandsome

DracoHandsome Tentacle Wrangler

Okay look there's a critical flaw with this whole "terrible monsters at night" thing.

It's really

really

BORING

to stay inside all night doing NOTHING until dawn breaks, unable to just exit the game and come back later because it will not progress to day if you're not playing.

It's just not fun.

Clockwork likes this.
  15. Nintendo_Play

Beds? :idea:

16. DracoHandsome

What is the point of including the night and its special mechanics if you can instantly skip it?

17. Nintendo_Play

Tell that to Minecraft. :sarcasm:

Mazeman911 likes this.
  18. Mazeman911

the point is not to have the player inside all night long, the point is to have the player's home be an icon of safety, arrival, homecoming.

you should be able to risk going outside, but not stay outside at night as if it were daytime and the monsters were just one-click annoyances.

besides even if you were to stay in your home all night, there are crap-tons of things to do as u saw in the home-building trailer for starbound.

if you are not going to go into your home other than for storage and crafting purposes, then what's the point of decorating it, giving it charm, making it look pretty?
    why not just make your home a giant box filled with chests and crafting areas?

homes should be a place that represents....well.... home. not just a clunky pile of chests and crafting tools.
    you get what im saying? give the home a sentimental value, it helps ALOT. more than you think.
    in fact, giving a sentimental value to your home was pretty much the only reason people like minecraft (other than the adventure/rpg like elements.)

19. Mazeman911

he didnt say combat at night only, i think this is what he is trying to say:
    in the morning the combat would be similar to Terraria's combat at night.
    at night the combat would be like, lets say, Terraria's Blood-moon combat on crack.

20. DracoHandsome

Minecraft only exists for people to make giant ponies out of cotton.

Nobody actually /plays/ Minecraft. They use it as a creative tool because, as a game, Minecraft blows and everyone knows it.

I mean how long has it been out and it only has two bosses, both of which are fought by standing in one place and spamming attack?