1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

what year does starbound take place in?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SeaworthySponge, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Cryptoid

Cryptoid Pangalactic Porcupine

Completely forgot about the gifts from the Cultivator. This would explain their rapid evolution in technology.

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. 500 years ago a computer would be considered magic but they're literally everywhere today. Technology for teleportation and the MM are reasonable if FTL travel is possible. So it seems that it does take place in the future.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  3. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Technology is limited to the physically possible and is constrained by laws such as conservation of energy. These technologies would require the energy equivalent of entire stars or more in a package you can hold in your hand. There's no amount of scientific knowledge you can attain that will allow you to do that. It's magic.

Also mechanical computers are a lot older than 500 years. Modern computers are incredibly powerful by comparison but the logic behind them would be comprehensible to a person from the distant past.

Pangaea and Cryptoid like this.
  4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Understanding of physics changes a lot. Just because we don't understand something today doesn't mean we wouldn't understand it in 1000, or even 100, years. I'm sure if you went back far enough there would be no amount of scientific knowledge attainable that would allow humans to land on the moon.

Sure. Analogue computers are thousands of years old. But I didn't mean simple logic gates. They wouldn't understand the electricity of computers or the material makeup of components. Certainly they wouldn't be able to understand having a conversation on a forum using the internet. It would be magic to them.

So to bring it back to topic, Starbound must take place in the distant future based on the tech they have available. How far in the future I don't think we can say. Like I said in my original post, it's anywhere from centuries to millennia.

5. Masiakasaurus

Again, no amount of knowledge will allow us to create technology that breaks fundamental physical laws like conservation of energy. It's fantasy.

6. Cryptoid

Telluric Interchanger. Theoretical/slightly improbable to us, but possible in starbound's universe.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  7. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

What I'm trying to say is that, given enough time, our understanding of fundamental physical laws could change in such a way as to disobey current understanding. Maybe something we think is impossible isn't really impossible. Maybe something like dark energy or anti-matter could be used for FTL travel. Perhaps quantum entanglement could be harnessed to allow teleportation. Who knows. In ancient times the fundamental understanding of health and temperament was humorism. Today we know that's non-sense. I'm not trying to say humans (or anyone else) will break current physical laws. Just that it might be possible in the future.

Definitely. It's a fantasy game. But it's fun to think about possibilities, right?

8. Cryptoid

I like how this went from "What year is Starbound in?" to "What are the fundamental laws of physics?"

9. Masiakasaurus

It's possible that something might be discovered that upends our understanding of physics to that extent, but it's really, really unlikely. Any new discovery that does replace it would also need to explain how, for instance, nuclear physics works despite being based on fundamentally flawed premises, so it's not a get out of jail free card, either. Just as relativity is a refinement of Newtonian physics, any new explanation will be a refinement, not a total replacement, of our existing theories.

And to be clear I'm not saying Starbound should be a physics simulator. I like the magic just fine. I just don't think it's useful to speculate about what year it takes place in because it's clearly not rooted in reality. Any answer you can give will ultimately be arbitrary.

Pangaea likes this.
  10. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Basically it is just a game. Not all parts of the game must be based on logic, although a little logic is needed in a game.

Pangaea likes this.
  11. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Okay so you know what I was trying to say. Sorry if I wasn't very clear.

Agreed! I wasn't trying to say it's not magic. Just that it could be tech. And just because it's not useful doesn't mean it's not fun.

12. VampERRus

VampERRus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, one thing I know for sure, it is past 10417-10419 year. The Warning Poster https://starbounder.org/Warning_Poster has that number and this is the only number that looks like a year to me. Considering how people from 1980s saw the future in 2010s with flying cars, robots and teleportation devices it's safe to say this number seems quite real. Our technologies develop fast, but not fast enough. I'm pretty sure we in 2077 will be laughing at what we can see in Cyberpunk 2077 now. Too bad there is no info anywhere about this topic and the number 10417 might either be one of those "abstract art pieces" Hylotls make (the Poster is usually found in Hylotl cities, but I remember finding it in Novakid villages too, so I don't stick to that theory much) or it might mean basically anything else: "10417 - the amount of people injured from a recent accident, be careful!" or something like that.

13. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

the warning poster sprite is too vague to really be a string of numbers, those large symbols likely are hylotl characters for the word "warning" anyways. Now, I don't think you're that far off in how far in the future SB is set. If one asks me, it's at least a thousand years into the future, especially since the apparent failed human colony on aurania had been there for at least a thousand years in wargroove's lore, wargroove being part of a shared universe with SB.