what's the chance for the Midnight Carp to bite?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by endly, Jan 20, 2020.

1. endly

endly Void-Bound Voyager

i literally wasted almost a thousand baits just to try to catch the damn insomniac carp.
    not really "wasted" though, at least the Smallmouth Basses are now my main ingredient for fish dishes.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Try the mountain lake, right outside the entrance to the mines. You shouldn't be catching any smallmouth

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

They have a specific season and time to show up, I got mine without problem, the only fish that is hard to show up (at least to me) is the lava Eel, sometimes I spent the entire day fishing without a single bite.
        [​IMG]

• endly

endly Void-Bound Voyager

ofc i have visited the wiki, but it doesn't mention about the bite chance, although the wiki is veeeery detailed on chances about anything else, like monster drop chance, secret events etc. it's mid-Winter now in my game, still trying to find that carp every night, now the Pikes join the Basses in my fridge.
          well, at least the good thing is that i can have so many provisions to bring to the Skull Cavern.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
          • Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Try switching to the mountain lake instead? The chance may be higher there. I've gotten two midnight carp there and both times it took less than one night to get one.

As for the exact chances, it's pretty complicated and depends on a) the fish, b) what water depth (how far from shore) you're fishing at, and c) what other fish are in the water at the time. So I guess it's too complicated to put on the wiki?

Honeywell likes this.
            • Honeywell

Honeywell Phantasmal Quasar

The mountain lake sounds like the place to go--I caught midnight carp the first night there too.

• endly

endly Void-Bound Voyager

still trying, and still haven't caught one, the Winter is ending soon.
                if the "Legend" is a legendary fish, then this carp is mythical to me.
                DARN CARP IS A MYTH !! *sob* :catcry:

• Anhaga

Anhaga Master Chief

You are fishing in the *mountain* lake not the forest lake, right? The midnight carp come up pretty regularly in the mountain lake.

• endly

endly Void-Bound Voyager

i tried both places, in Fall i tried mostly in the forest pond because it's not far, and in Winter (following suggestions) i tried mostly in the mountain lake.
                    i guess i was just very unlucky, never been lucky in RNG thingy in most games anyway.
                    it's already Spring now, at least i'm glad the fish only counts towards achievement, if it's needed for the Community Center, then i don't know what i'd feel about it.
                    i hope i'll catch it on next Fall/Winter, and when i do, i'd toss the darn carp in the pond and force it to make babies. oh, and thank you guys for the suggestions. cheers