1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are Florans and Novakid so popular?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FloomRide, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

Like the title says, I've noticed that Florans and Novakid are exceedingly popular compared to the other races in Starbound, at least in my home country of Steam client. I can understand the reason behind Novakid's popularity (being relatively new, cowboys), but the popularity of Florans eludes me. I just don't get it. They don't feel all that fun to play as or build with (using their race-related blocks). The most frustrating part of playing Floran for me is that I never get to look at my beautiful flower hat/hair/head because I always have to cover it up with armor.

So, all of you Floran and Novakid fans out there, what do you think makes them so popular in our community?

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I wonder if people are jussssst looking for an excussssse to ussssse more 'sssss'sssss to make their possssstsssss harder to read.

3. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

I feel the general population enjoys the floran race due to the expansion of their lore compared to the others. The floran race seems to have quirks a lot of people find funny or enjoyable. Anything ranging from their cannibalism, lisps concerning the letter s, and general reverse engineering gives the floran race greater depth than the other races.

Frostfall likes this.
  4. lars911

lars911 Void-Bound Voyager

Because the florans are the elf of Starbound ! beautiful and elegance ! i just ware cosmetic in my head part to view my pretty hair flower :3

also their appearance is just so magical...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

The clash between the archetype for plant creatures in sci-fi/fantasy, which is "peaceful serene etc", and the Florans' actual nature as vicious, omnivorous murder machines has a certain appeal, as does their kinda childish personality.

I envision my Floran character as this kind of wide-eyed goofus, exploring the galaxy with a magpie's eye for shiny/gaudy things to grab, and a pitbull's joy, exuberance, energy, and viciousness towards anyone who hurts someone they like.

6. yclatious

yclatious Guest

They are likeable, strong, adaptable, and generally, well developed and not narcisistic presumptuous dicks.

They don't go for unnecessary stuff, and they are just solid, interesting, and fun to play.Both races are kinda similar, but oposite, but both share these qualities, and they are just fun to play around, ya know?

Glitch come in 2nd, due to mostly similar, but not quite as developed, atleast in my opinion.

Unlike a race of presumptuous frog spawn that cant do jack shit, a race of chicken legs that praise non existant berd Jesus or plain old, undeveloped stereotyped, basic destroyed earth Hoomans.

Seriously playing humans in Starbound is like playing like a sword nord in Skyrim.

Frostfall, Kerghan, vanella and 5 others like this.
  7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

In the case of florans, it is because they are basically a deconstruction of the archetype of humanoid plants, which are usually portrayed as very peaceful, with the reason why they ar a deconstruction of that is because IRL, plants are actually very agressive and competitive. In fact, that is why some plants can´t be put near other plants at all (Or near other particular species): If you try to, they begin to produce chemical toxins in order to kill said plants; meaning that, logically, a plant that were to become able to move and eat would be a voracious predator that would eat anything as long as it isn´t toxic. There is also the fact that, between their appareance, speech patterns (They accentuate the "s"s, meaning that they would say "Starbound" as "Ssstarbound", they always refer to themselves in the third person, and tend towards short, choppy sentences, with the sole exception of a NPC in the outpost), and the playable floran´s tendency to have amusing descriptions.
    In the case of the novakids, they are ADHD star space cowboys.

Axe Garian and Zlyvr like this.
  8. LadenSwallow

LadenSwallow Void-Bound Voyager

To paraphrase: If floran misbehave, floran eat floran. Floran confused.

9. AoiYami

AoiYami Starship Captain

I like novakid becuase it's one of the races with the whole smarter then most of the other races thing going on, minus the not aesthetically pleasing look. Honestly I'm not a fan of the cowboy thing, but generating and getting some clothes to make it not so cowboyish isn't hard. Novakid also just has a general way of commenting (when using the little investigate/comment (keybind n) feature) that I honestly really like. Its interesting, much like apex or glitch, but its said in a way that I like, instead of some annoying way of speaking. Despite not liking florans though, I can see why they are liked, despite having a simpler way of speaking they have points in what they are saying and honestly make interesting comments, even if they have bad grammar and more s's then needed, and I'd suppose for those who like them the s's and grammar are a personality thing.

10. Narks

Narks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's because everyone likes to see Florans as the misunderstood outcast from his evil bretheren.

11. Kufell

Kufell Pangalactic Porcupine

For me personally, the main appeal of the Floran was what is known of their culture and what can be assumed from what we know. I generally find I enjoy the story of the more tribal races, more so when they have accents or vocal quirks, such as Trolls in WoW.

12. KaZe_DaRKWIND

KaZe_DaRKWIND Big Damn Hero

I honestly don't know. I kinda like how plants are generally seen as a symbol of peace and the florans are the most violent things in the universe. I also think they are unique, I like how they are a more primitive species in space, and I like their personality.

I also saw this picture.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• gbpk.png
      gbpk.png
      File size:
      495.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    The_Singularity likes this.
  13. DJ-Hyrul3

DJ-Hyrul3 Void-Bound Voyager

When I started playing Starbound (back before the big winter update) I gravitated to the Florans just cause they looked aesthetically appealing to me (cause who goes with the boring, bland Hoomans first AmIRight?)

...then I started reading into they're lore and personalities and immediately said "Holy Crap these things are Barbarian-esque cannibals? Bitchin!
    cause I honestly fell for the "Plants are Peaceful" stereotype and the stark contrast was just hilarious, plus I'm a sucker for they're ssssspeech patternssss (had to :rofl:)

Novakids are pretty swag too, I'm a huge sucker for Cowboy motifs, plus...come on, your playing a big load of space gas compressed into a humanoid shape...wearing cowboy cloths

HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THAT?!

(plus I really dig the Floran and Novakid ships, the Novakid is obvious (ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!) and personally I love the jungle feel of the Floran's ship)

yclatious likes this.
  14. Purple shawl

Purple shawl Tentacle Wrangler

apex and hylotl seem cooler to me, then again im weird i suppose.

15. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

While i like the hylotl's asian theme they at the same time seem to be arrogant pricks :p (they allways know better then every other race).

Apex are nice'ish. But i cant manage making a male char that looks good.

Op:

I just find florans appealing. They are evil'ish with a feasible explanation for being evil'ish instead of just "becuse im evil so i do jerk things" (their dissregard for meat based life and hunter culture).

16. Moon Star

Moon Star Cosmic Narwhal

Cute plant people and silly fire people.

17. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Hmm... Lore, cuteness, building materials, equipment, and general personality. I am just an odd one when playing a floran. I think of them as the tribal in relation to native americans. Well similar, as the americans at the time called them savages. I have always like plants & nature in general. So that could play a part in my liking them, and also one reason I like their building materials as well. Then again I use building materials from all things available.

In other words I don't just make houses with just their materials alone sometimes. I mix it up. Building has more to it then just using a races' building materials they have in their designs. I have not read much of the lore, but what I have does peak my interest. They are the ones with the most it seems in that category, or talked about a lot. Glitch being a close second on that one.

Far as novakids go... They don't interest me much, and might not ever make one. I use to enjoy western movies, but over time my interests shifted. Now the cowboy type of the wild west, does not really appeal to me much. Their personality is decent. I may eventually have one just so I can have one with that ship.

I guess in ways resemblance or relating to in a degree could be a basis for liking. Especially with novakids. It seems quite a few can relate to a degree, especially if they are young. Youth only has so much relation though, as not all people can.

I love the floran ship. So that is another reason. I also love the novakid ship, which would be reason enough for me to eventually make one. Although I might make a few of the other races before hand.:)

Crashguy2 likes this.
  18. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I DON'T like those races for the reasons others have mentioned for liking them. I prefer the Glitch, because robots, and Hylotl because they are similar in nature to the Tau from Warhammer 40K, and I absolutly love the Tau.

Kaede Grimwater and Beatrice like this.
  19. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Floran are quirky and funny, and brutally savage.

Also, butts.

[​IMG]

Lintton, Jonesy and Dust like this.
  20. DivineMalevolence

DivineMalevolence Big Damn Hero

Isss becaussse Floran and Nova interesssting race.
    Human normal. Monkey normal. Bird religiousss normal. Fissshy orient normal.

Glitch medieval quirky. Hasss odd thing of sssaying intention before ssspeak, overall fun.
    Floran naive sssavage. Have lisssp, act ssstrange, have fun biology. Overall fun.
    Nova forget. Nova sssociety bassse off sssevere ADD. Literal gasssbag. Overall fun.

Nova, Glitch, and Floran jussst have persssonality that isss sssligtly lacking in other.
    Fissshy closssest, though. Full of ssself and annoy, they.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.