1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are there no mushroom seeds?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tanek, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

Has there been any reason given for the removal of mushroom seeds from the game? (Well, they are apparently still in the files, but no longer available in the game itself.)

As far as I can tell, mushroom and thorny fruit are the only crops I can't bring back to my farm.

Thanks.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Because mushrooms are a fungus and don't have seeds?

The real reason is they are simply not coded to drop any.

3. Tanek

Fine, spores. :p

Basically, some way to farm/cultivate mushrooms would be nice.

4. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

If you go to mushroom biomes, the large mushroom trees should drop mushrooms as well as mushroom tree saplings for you to farm mushroom. As for thorny plants, none of them drop saplings, so your best bet is to find a decent-sized patch of them in a desert, pop down a flag or teleporter next to them and just harvest them from time to time.

Or, if you dont mind spawning items in, this is the seed youd want : http://starbounder.org/Thorny_Plant

5. Tanek

Mushroom trees is a good idea. Thank you. I'll bring a couple of those back to the farm

As for the thorn fruit, I don't know why I thought those "bushes" could only be harvested once. I'll give it a try. :)

edit: found another outlier. Kelp. It seems kelp from ocean planets does not drop saplings, but kelp from poison oceans does. And those saplings can be grown on land like regular trees.

Is one or both of these an error? I like having a renewable supply of kelp, but this just seems strange.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Woah, really? I never knew that. Looking at the toxic biome page on the wikie (http://starbounder.org/Toxic) i guess it does mention that kelp there does indeed drop saplings, but no comment on whether this is a bug or intentional design.