1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Closed Wife Penny breaks promise not to "touch your chests"

Discussion in 'Support' started by FickleRhubarb, Feb 8, 2020.

1. FickleRhubarb

FickleRhubarb Subatomic Cosmonaut

Some time after marriage (at 14 hearts for me), Penny promises not to "touch your chests" while redecorating our bedroom. I have no chests in the bedroom, but it's packed full of kegs. I leave them there planning to politely remove them as soon as their contents are ready . A few days later I awake to a redecorated bedroom and my kegs and contents have disappeared. After stewing about divorcing Penny for this abusive betrayal, I decide it's just a bug, and I rewind to the previous "contents ready" state for the kegs. I remove them from the bedroom after emptying them, and soon Penny brings up the redecoration "again" (groundhog day). I make a note that she says she wants to redecorate our bedroom, then there is a choice of types of decor plus a "Don't change anything!" reply (Of course I'm not going to say that!). After the choice of decor, she promises "again" not to "touch your chests".

In the fantasy world of the game, this is a major marriage betrayal from an apparently guileless NPC. So I assume it's a bug. Here are some ideas for a fix:

1. (Easier to program) Change Penny's initial and final "redecoration" comments to clearly indicate she will clear the room destructively.
    a) Initial: "I want to clear out our bedroom and redecorate."
    b) Final: "I will clear out everything but the bed in a few days then."

2. (Better solution) Allow a "Postpone" behavior
    a) Initial NPC: "I want to clear out our bedroom and redecorate."
    c) Player response: "I love that! I need some time to clear out the bedroom. Can you check again in a week?"
    b) Final NPC: "I'm happy that you want me to do this. I will check with you in a week."

Tom

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    • minervamaga

minervamaga Pangalactic Porcupine

• FickleRhubarb

Thanks!
      Tom

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

considering penny is the same character who will knock you back three hearts for not wanting a boatload of babies like she does and pushes george around like a doll without his consent i'm not surprised she thoughtlessly trashes the place when given a chance. she isn't exactly considerate of others

• FickleRhubarb

I wouldn't knock her for being hurt when you don't want kids. If she's at 14 hearts, three down still leaves her at 11, and she'll feel better in no time. That's a natural reaction, not a betrayal like destroying your kegs.

I am ambivalent about the George thing. But I can't say I completely disagree with you there.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

if i am correct it is the eightheart event(or maybe it is six? i stopped trying to be friends with her when that happened so i cannot recall the exact number). i can understand how your perspective would differ from mine though. i know a couple irl pennys and a lack of interest in making babies is generally seen as a personal attack by those sorts

if it helps i did read the george event is supposed to be improved from the original since so many people were unhappy about it? no idea though since i have been working on mod corrects and mod creating since the update

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
            • FickleRhubarb

It turns out Penny did put the kegs in a chest, even with the product. Granted, the product was lost on placement in a new location, but it's like she tried. A dialogue "I put your things in a chest in our bedroom, Honey." would help.

Oh. You mean her pre-marriage kids talk? I do vaguely remember that.

Yeah. I have learned there really is such a thing as compatibility that is the fault of nobody. You need people you can relate to happily.

Tom