1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial Windows Stand Alone Dedicated Server Setup( v. Enraged Koala )

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Sven2157, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supernet2

supernet2 Existential Complex

Out of curiosity... i seen this same bypass but it was a simple .bat script that bypasses steam DRM, im assuming this is sorta similar but more so legal i suppose. (?) And i dont see anyone red flagging this so ill assume its fine. :D thanks again. Seriously though thanks
    You are correct... theirs already been a way thats been developed to go around this but yeah.. Thats how i run my servers now. VMwaring them.

2. Sven2157

Sven2157 Space Penguin Leader

If I read the agreements correctly, then this( my guide way ) is perfectly legal. There should be no infringement whatsoever. The files you are copying, are the bare files the server executable needs. Since there is no User interface/GUI with the server, you still technically, only have one instance of your game running when you run both. The only issue I could possibly see, is the ASSETS folder. I am not sure you are suppose to copy that. I can't imagine that Chucklefish would object to this, until they release an actual dedicated server package; but I have seen a lot worse for a lot less.

When they release a patch, all you have to do is run that BAT file again, and overwrite the old server files. Your Universe should remain intact! Unless of course the make some real significant changes.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    supernet2 likes this.
  3. Radish

Radish Poptop Tamer

Finally I've installed the server on linux machine and it's good.
    With windows the serveur exe crash, cause it is in conflict with VM, but I think
    that will change in next update. ;)

supernet2 likes this.
  4. Coded-Dude

Coded-Dude Void-Bound Voyager

Do you have to overwrite all files or just some after a patch?

5. Sven2157

Yes. However, it is still only half the size of the full install. If you use SteamCMD, it may download the full 2.2GB again. The batch( .BAT ) file, should make the process a bit easier.

When the patch comes out, I will see if I can modify the batch file to grab only the newly dated/modified files in the list. Hopefully, when they release a true dedicated server, the dependencies on the image and sound files should be removed; thus making the total file size way smaller.

6. Coded-Dude

Thanks again. I am copying from linux, so I will have to write my own, similar shell script to automate the copy. I imagine the assets folder while change drastically this time around. Hopefully the changes should be gradual after that(fewer and smaller files to copy; until a dedicated binary).

7. Sven2157

Are you running a Windows client? If you are, you can use this same batch file for Linux. All you need to change is the win32 to either linux-32( <-- stupid smilies, no dash in there ) or linux64. All other files are the same. Then just move the folder to your linux server.

If you are on a Linux system with your client, you could use something like this, from within the Starbound root folder:
    Code:
    mkdir -p StarboundServer/assets/ && cp -R assets/ StarboundServer/assets/
    mkdir -p StarboundServer/mods/ && cp -R mods/ StarboundServer/mods/
    mkdir -p StarboundServer/linux32/ && cp -R linux32/ StarboundServer/linux32/
    zip -r StarboundServer.zip StarboundServer/
    rm -rf StarboundServer

If you are planning on Linux 64, then be sure to change the 32 to 64 in the script above ...
    Hope that helps ...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  8. Coded-Dude

I am running Ubuntu on an HP Chromebook. Moving the server files to my old windows laptop to run a lan server. I am pretty Linux savvy so the script will be easy. I'll play around with it this weekend and share it here in case anyone else is interested.

9. Sven2157

Ok. Starbound just updated, and it looks like you will need to do some overhauling. They have changed the assets folder, pretty dramatically. I suggest that you:
    1. Make a backup of your UNIVERSE folder, and starbound.config.
    2. Remove( delete ) the entire server folder.
    3. Download( I made changes ) and run the BATCH file, again.
    4. Move folders/files to server computer.
    5. Run the server, to create a new starbound.config
      • I just checked, and they should be the same format - use your old one
    6. Compare the new starbound.config with the old one.
      • MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE QUOTES( " ) AROUND THE maxPlayers NUMBER! They changed it to an integer, rather a string.
    7. When everything is set, start your server up again.
    You could also try to copy your universe back into the main server directory. I have not tried this, but you could see how it goes. It may very well, does crash the whole game, as it was saved in a different format, from this new build's readability.

Any information you have, or would like to report, would be greatly appreciated. Good Luck!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  10. Drunkenhero

Drunkenhero Poptop Tamer

When I restarted the windows private server I had to add the following files to make it work:

lua52.dll
    pcre3.dll

This is after i completely rebuilt the server as per the instructions here in this thread. I tested it and it works fine. 64.4.98.61 if anyone wants to test it out.

11. Sven2157

As noted above ...
    Not sure what this means?
    I only made a simple batch file to aide in file copying. The 'software' is Chuckle Fish's.

12. Drunkenhero

Drunkenhero Poptop Tamer

Cool I just read the last post and replied. Guess I'll learn to read more then post.

13. Sven2157

;) Glad it is working! Wait 'til you see my control panel for it!

14. Coded-Dude

I see they added assets to the database, does that shrink the copy at all? I am gonna play now and mess with the server later today.

15. Sven2157

No. They took everything in the assets folder and added it to one file: packed.pak.

I am not sure if this is an archive, however even if it is, it does not compress at all. There is a very small change to the file size( smaller ~1.03GB from ~1.11GB ), but to me, that is really no change. They, as already pointed out above, also added two ne DLL files. Make sure that you grab the new BAT file, or the code for it, when you proceed with your update.

Let me know if there is anything I can do! ;)

16. Ephemerality

Ephemerality Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for this, was very handy.

Sven2157 likes this.
  17. Paladwyn

Paladwyn Intergalactic Tourist

What about updates? When new updates come out, what do I need to do?

By the way, I tried the SteamCMD, and it got kinda complex, I tried looking for a rundown of what somebody needed to do with it, and was hard to find one, then I found this...seemed simple. Run a BAT file and copy to your new computer and run it? Seems pretty easy actually. He's done all the work in figuring out what files you need to copy, all you gotta do is move those new ones to a new computer and run them? Can't think of anything more simple than that.

I'd try SteamCMD if: #1 there was an actual rundown of what needed to be done. and #2: It wasn't a hassle to log in and out.
    Actually, if either one of those were solved, I'd try it again.

Regardless...back to my question, about updates? When a new one comes out...and so forth.

18. Sven2157

Updating would be something like:
    Letting Steam update your Game. Then, just run the BAT file again, and overwriting the files in your current server directory - I would imagine.

Since I bought the game during v. Angry Koala, I can't really say. Today's patch, caused me to make a couple changes to the BAT file, to include the two new DLL files. But it was no big deal.

Patching should be just fixing current code, then re-compiling, and sending out. Adding new content, would require you to add the new content to the server as well. They need to compile the starbound_server.exe without the dependencies on the audio and graphics files, though. However, now, it would seem you just need to transfer the new pack.pak 'database' of assets.

Hope that helps, and doesn't confuse...

19. Deathomen

Deathomen Orbital Explorer

You updated the batch file but it looks like the two addition files need to be listed in the manual method as well. I followed the manual instructions and when I tried to start the server I was told I was missing two other files and had to copy them over as well.

Sven2157 likes this.
  20. Sven2157

Crap! Thanks, man! ;) Good Looking... Changing it now.

*** EDIT ***
    Done. Added to change post( #2 ) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.