Wipe your feet on the way in...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by WelshPixie, Feb 28, 2012.

1. macodelo

macodelo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Cool thread. So do we roleplay here or something?

2. It's for writers to introduce themselves and talk about their story or whatever. A chat thread for fanfiction writers, I guess, although the Literature subforum does this job a lot better imo.

3. macodelo

macodelo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

OH, well in that case let me introduce myself.

My name is macodelo, and I am writing an ongoing fanfic of my adventures in Starbound. My protagonist and actual permadeath character, an Apex rebel named Beardleon (for better lack of a name), is one of the many that escaped the wrath of the Miniknog threat after a failed attempt to overthrow Big Ape. Well we all know what happens next, just like any space explorer of Starbound, but for Beardleon he decided to record his adventures in a log book. His (my) adventures are based on my gameplay experiences, but it is quite remarkable that despite what I do, the story tend to fall into place, therefore, bloom like the story itself is its own organism.

It is my first fanfic attempt, and perhaps going to be my only one so far unless: my character dies, a wipe (ugh), or someone (something) decides to smash my computer. Otherwise, permadeath makes an excellent experience because survival with rewards are what fuels my story.

Feel free to read it here at the link, and please critique it however you like (keep it peachy):

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/first-flight-to-the-beta-sector.79611/

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    nababoo likes this.
  4. PrinceRex

PrinceRex Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, believe me, I've learned my lesson.
    Anyways, Ava'yorn.
    I'm fairly new to writing, as I've only just started this 'year,' (not even a full 365 days) but, I figured, this place, or the place where I actually upload my stories, would be good locations to receive constructive criticism. (The best kind of criticism) It's a pleasure to meet you all, and I cannot wait to see what you all come up with.

5. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Keep up the nice work here. Lots of promising stories and a great environment to practice your writing skills. Congratulations to all mods and posters in this section. @nababoo is correct! Do not type a large story in this small text field. Use wordpad, or word if you have it.

Many wonderful ideas and much genius prose have been lost to the world through accidentally deleting or closing a window prematurely. Do it outwith the forum and always remember to backup what you are writing.

6. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One nice tool I like to use when writing my poems is "WriteMonkey". Really full-screen editor - nothing there to cause distractions <3

Oh and to introduce myself: I am Ralf from Germany, somewhat old now (52) and I have started to write poems in 2006. Most of my poems are in German (which is my own language) and about a sad subject (pregnancy/infant loss). From time to time of course there are other things I like to write about - like Starbound ;). Writing in English is challenging, but fun. And it is a good chance to improve my English skill.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    nababoo likes this.
  7. Starbug

Starbug Guest

@ Skydart.. Thanks for your post. Always interesting to hear the backgrounds of the forum members. I am old, but like you, not too old to enjoy this experience.

Sorry to hear about your sad subject. A very difficult thing to deal with. If you can articulate that in poetry, I salute your courage and hope that this touches other affected. I don't know how poetry translates from German to English, but you would never guess you were not a native English speaker. Good work!

8. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you for your nice words!

Simply translating poems from German to English wouldn't work well, so when I tried to translate some of my poems, it was like writing it new. So it is always a nice way for trying to think in English :)

Starbug likes this.
  9. Starbug

Starbug Guest

hehe.. Yes, indeed! It is great practice. Your English is very good!

10. Peaceful Floran

Peaceful Floran Phantasmal Quasar

Is it illegal to add illustrations next to your writing?

11. You can synthesize however many forms of media you desire into your work.

12. Zaisher

Zaisher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Rule #11 STOP FRIKKIN TAUNTING THE FLORANS FOR BEING PLANTS eventually your gonna hit the teleport button too late and both of you will be on the ship and now everyones been eaten GJ idoit
    Rule #12 Avoid interactions near the AI as eventually it will get jealous and poop us all into space
    Rule# 13 do NOT bring anything alien with you onto the ship as it will probably tun out to be another beast and now another home world is destroyed you moron
    Rule #14 forget all previous rules as you are a failure of life and will probably die anyways and you should've moved out of your moms basement before the apoclypse AND I NEVER WANTED TO HAVE YOU AS A CHIL-....... hey look a........thing...

13. ButNobodyCame

ButNobodyCame Void-Bound Voyager

Is this thread dead? Because it doesn't look like it had a shortage of interesting posts, but then all of a sudden no one posted anything.