1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Wiring help needed

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Amegatron, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Amegatron

Amegatron Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello everybody. Can anyone help me with implementing the following logic, preferrably using as less switches as possible.

I'll try to explain what I need. Imagine I have two or more persistent switches (PS), lest take two for simplicity. When the input wire (set) of one of these switches is on, it should also turn on but only when all others are off. So, the main idea is that only the PS wich was turned on the first should be the only that is on, no matter when other PS are attempted to be turned on. I hope I could explain clearly enough. This task itself is not so difficult for me and I implemented it with additional NOT and AND switches: all PS output to a single NOT, each PS has its own AND gate, though wich the initial setting signal goes through, that NOT switch outputs to those AND gates.

This solution works well when input signals to PSs come separated in time. But it does not work when incoming signals come simultaneously, cause they all are caluculated at the same "wiring tick" (when NOT is still outputing 1, thus not closing the AND gates).

Can onyone suggest a solution for this situation? I could theoretically separate all the incoming signals by time, so when initial signals come simultaneously, PS#1 gets it's immediately, PS#2 gets it's with 1 tick delay and so on ... But I'm not sure now that it will not spoil the logic, cause if the original signal to PS#1 itself comes in 1 tick delay relative to singnal for PS#2, they will again come simulateneously.

Thanks in advance!

UPD; So, it seems I found some kind of a solution which I think will suit me (thanks to Discrod for inspiration :)). The preliminary idea is to treat the input signals as a set of bits and take the MSB/LSB (most significant bit) to resolve the concurrency, in conjunction with the logic described in the previous post (NOT+ANDs). The scheme for taking MSB is quite simple: https://circuitverse.org/users/3695/projects/9591

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  2. sirguylittle

sirguylittle Void-Bound Voyager

I'm just trying to get to grips with logic myself in Starbound so I am not sure I can help (yet) with your problem.
    However during my experiments discussed in this thread:
    https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/timed-door-opening-help.152075/
    I came across a mod called Macrochip which I wonder if you might be interested in. It makes possible far more sophisticated logic circuits and provides additional components to enable them.
    https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/macrochip-and-logic-upgrades.3420/

Hope you find that useful :)

(You could even implement the circuit you linked to inside a single macrochip and would be able to lay out the wiring just as drawn.)

Edit 2: That CircuitVerse site looks interesting, so thanks for helping me discover it. I think it will help me with my Starbound Macrochip projects!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  3. Amegatron

Amegatron Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Unfortunately not :) I play only vannilla :) Also, all other complex circuits are possible with "default" gates :) You see, these basic gates is what all modern digital devices are composed of. Even computer is built upon all these logic gates. So, it's at least another interesting challenge to build any logic using just these basic gates. But thanks anyway for posting the links, I think I'll have a look at them some moments later :)