With no settlements for novakids, why not have them spawn in other race's?

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Ludovic, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Basically as it was confirmed some time back that no settlement were planed for the novakids I found myself wondering....

... why not just make them spawns in the settlements that DO exists: Those of other race's.

Novakids, with their noted wanderlust and fiercely individualist nature always struck me as a race of (somewhat) carefree nomads rather than the kind that would plonk down anywhere to spend the rest of their life in any village surrounded only by their own kind.
    If anything, such a thing feels like it'd be fated to implode because pretty much everyone would eventually get bored of each others and no one would cooperate on anything anyway.

So the "traditional novakid home" in a way always felt to me like it would be their ship in the first place. Even lore seems to imply such when discussing their skill at reverse engineering. How a kid watching their parent work on their personal starship might develop the inspiration to make their own.
    That line always struck me that most novakids would thus spend the majority of their lives within their own ship and that as a result the largest novakid "social unit" would thus be a family that would stay together only as long as the kid would take to build their own ships and (quite literally) fly through space on the power of their own wings(or in this case, space train).

Thus I never really thought of them as a "village" type.

However... them not being a type to build villages STILL leaves a lot of potential for novakids NPCs.

Namely, embracing their identity as space nomads actually put them in the very interesting position where they could be the one race with the most logical explanation to see them spawn in the village of OTHER races.

Maybe they're a novakid who decided to settle down and sell their latest invention to fund their next trip. Or they decided to relax(for a bit) by running a small saloon in an hylotl underwater city or Glitch village.

Maybe they're just passing by, like the player, and staying at one of the empty houses of the village in the meanwhile.

It also make them perfect for "wandering merchants" encounters where a novakid could plunk down in the middle of nowhere with crates of their wares because why the hell not? It looked like a good idea at the time!

And not only that, but with a lot of their bandito/desperado-themed gear... they also make perfect outlaws encounters and bounty-hunting quests.

So there is still a LOT of potential for novakid NPCs that doesn't ever require to even make any "village" for them. They can still have a "novakid identity". But wanderers and individualist as they are... it just means that their "identity" is that of an ever-wandering diaspora of individuals rather than that of a people that would ever settle down long enough to start a nation let alone even just a village.

2. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

That would make them more unique.
    They could also spawn randomly in Player settlements and sell random items and buy items at a higher price than normal, but only stay for a short period of time, similarily to the Travelling Merchant from Terraria.

Iceball457 likes this.
  3. Joft

Joft Orbital Explorer

This. This please. I'm genuinely upset by the utter lack of inclusion Novakids got from most of the other races, so something that made them interesting to find and give them a presence in the universe rather than just being a tenant in ONE FURNITURE SET.

Pingeh likes this.
  4. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

If anything, present game lore(codexes for humans, and ending for the novakid) lay out nicely a lot of good reasons why content is a bit lacking for both races atm but why we may also have lots of chances to see more some time after release.

(without culturally changing novakids.... some implications of the ending might be enough to maybe motivate at least "some" to do a bit more "researches" about the "past"..... at least for a bit).

Edit: and damn, now I have actual ideas for Novakids "settlements" mods and/or potential official content <.<

It might be interesting to try these out as mod first though.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016