World Specific Bosses

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by TheMurumasa, Feb 24, 2012.

1. TheMurumasa

TheMurumasa Existential Complex

First of all, I dont know if this has been suggested before, and if it has then im sorry.

When I began thinking about bosses I thought how awesome it would be for them to be generated on the fly, like the guns. But then I realised how hard it would be to implement, I also think it would take away from the whole "OMG I finally found "--------"" as nobody will find bosses that were exactly the same.

Then I thought about the idea of bosses being unique to the world they inhabit, and for them to be the point where you think "Right I have finished on this planet, time to move on." An example of a world boss would be a giant octopus on the tentacle planet, or an Ice Troll on the frozen planet.

I also think that it would a good idea for the world to change somehow once the world boss has been killed and its presence has been removed (kind of like killing the wall of flesh in Terraria) this would make you want to explore the world even more after you have killed the boss. The changes that occur can either be small, like changing the background of the tentacle planet or pretty major like switching all the enemy mobs for friendly ones because their "evil leader" is dead. This idea can be developed so much, here a few examples of what could change after a world boss is killed.

Tentacle World - Octopus Boss - Background changes to be less "Tentacally".
    Ice world - Ice Troll - Planet gets warmer, less snow/more grass.
    Sandy World - Sphinx Boss - Slaves are freed, pop up all over the place thanking you.
    Grass World - Lead tribesman - Become the tribes leader, they worship you and build statues of you.

(Obviously the boss names would be different.)

2. Zeldo

Zeldo Big Damn Hero

Fantastic idea. I think it'd be so cool if the planet changed once you killed the boss. Bringing peace to the galaxy, one planet at a time.
    I think generated bosses could be possible, and it'd add so much more to the game. If this was done, the boss should be generated to accommodate your equipment and level and such. Wouldn't be much fun killing a giant demonic lord with a single punch.

3. Vaidred

Vaidred Phantasmal Quasar

VERY impressive idea. I would enjoy this... A LOT.

4. TheMurumasa

Glad you guys like the idea :)

5. Zman12380

Zman12380 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I support, although the last 2 "rewards" are a bit too ridiculous...

6. Wuzhles

Wuzhles Cosmic Narwhal

I agree with everything but that, a troll isn't making a place much colder, is it? However, if there was to be a lower enemy rate...

7. TheMurumasa

They are just examples, feel free to add your own.

8. doused

doused Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I cannot freaking wait for this game. one of my favorite things in video games are traversing different worlds. take ratchet and clank. literally the best game series to exist. Each world unique. I would love to see Desert alien races and everything. its just endless what they could do!

9. Drayo10

Drayo10 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes. Please.
    Someone had asked for living planets in another forum, and your idea of altering the world after defeating it's boss ties in with that gloriously.
    I'll leave it up to your imagination about what the "Boss" would be and what would happen after defeating it.

But anyway, different bosses for each planet is an awesome idea. Living planet or not.
    Especially the idea of after-boss effects.

10. HighWarlordBob

HighWarlordBob Void-Bound Voyager

I have an idea that's very similar to this. Just made a post of it just a little bit ago actually. You and I were right on with bosses being generated according to the theme of their planet. Go check it out and let me know what you think :D

11. weirdee

weirdee Big Damn Hero

An addendum: some planets might have bosses that are actually tied to the planet's ecosystem in a positive way, and if you disrupt that balance, this would be reflected in the changes.

Latiz and Wuzhles like this.