Mob Worm ball (worm clew)

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by muxaun, May 16, 2013.

1. muxaun

muxaun Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. Introduction
    Meet the hollow worm
    dead_worm.png
    • It is hollow like a hose.
    • It can stretch
    • It can bite
    • It can quickly retract after attack

Studies have shown that the worm is not an independent creature - it is actually a tentacle of a worm ball (or maybe worm clew).

The creature itself is more like a fungi - it infests vegetables and grows in them:
    seed.png

Over time it will grow up short tentacles
    halfGrown.png

Then it forms a worm ball (clew) - usually consisting of 5-20 worm-tentacles tightly braided with each other.
    mature.png

Such a balls are usually found underground - the creature uses worm-tentacles to hunt its prey far away from its nest.
    hunt.png
    Tentacles are hunting separately, but they can help each other if they encounter tough enemy.
    Hunt2_1.png

2. Details
    Drops/Loot
    Worm skin. can be used as elastic cords or made into a rope. 3-7 per ball. Worm body is stretchy - it can be used in many ways.
    Small creature bones. They can be scattered around the ball.
    Worm teeth - small, but tough. Use it as a calcium source. Or as an abrasive.
    Seeds of the vegetable the ball has spawned on.
    Rotten vegetable - for young worm balls

Environment/Habitat, Spawn Rate/Spawning Conditions
    It likes underground caves. Usually with lots of small burrows.
    Spawns in groups - thus forming areas infested with worm balls.
    It hunts small prey, but it can pose a threat to an adventurer 'cause it's difficult to reach the ball itself.

Health/Mana/Energy/Armor
    It is not tough. But it cannot be killed by attacking tentacles.

Movement
    Luckily they don't move.
    How does it get around does it crawl? does it walk? does it roll? does it fly? Explain how it moves

Attacks/Damage
    Melee. Can be poisonous. Damage is low, but annoying. If one tentacle of the ball is attacked then the others will go protect it.

Pictures
    Up there.

Attached Files:

2. Affero

Affero Contributor

Creepy, but I like it

3. Scary! It would require madness of scripts to animate it, but it looks very nice. :lolwut:

Jedesis likes this.
  4. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

this is the stuff nightmares are made of

Jedesis likes this.
  5. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

I freaking LOVE IT! I love the pixel art, I love the description, I love everything about it! I LOVE IT

Jedesis likes this.
  6. harnackam

harnackam Ketchup Robot

Looks scary, and cool.

Jedesis likes this.
  7. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

nice idea, but did you know earth worms aren't stated from male or female and have more then one heart? which making statement your creating a scary chimera you beast that thing doesn't die if we link it as a worm which it maybe moving but still it still move back into the dirt and live another day!

Jedesis likes this.
  8. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

The perfect enemy for the tentacle biome...

Jedesis likes this.
  9. Noisy

Noisy 2.7182818284590...

cant imagine how you would fight something like this :)

Jedesis likes this.
  10. joshmusic95

joshmusic95 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love it!

Jedesis likes this.
  11. Knivez5

Knivez5 Aquatic Astronaut

This is awesome,good job,but I think you need to make the graphics a little worse.

Jedesis likes this.
  12. shyfulReverie

shyfulReverie Phantasmal Quasar

This looks like great game for me to hunt, could be quite the challenge!

Jedesis likes this.
  13. Saiya Darkfire

Saiya Darkfire Industrial Terraformer

nice!

Jedesis likes this.
  14. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

man...thinking about it, step in mine field of worms ball nest..ooooohhh! someone bring the bombing, napalm bombing as well. This thing is a living nightmare to men and mostly women if anyone get it :chucklefish:.

Jedesis and muxaun like this.
  15. ThePhail

ThePhail Subatomic Cosmonaut

Depends on how it would be animated. If it would be like it is in the picture (Which is a bit much) then it would probably requre a bunch of script, but there are other very easy ways y'know. And I think they would go for the easy approach as that is how most do it these days. Plus, it fits the game better.

Jedesis likes this.
  16. The way everything is animated in the game already shows how madness such thing is. Like the Tentacle Biome, it ended up being a static background at the moment, :rolleyes:

Jedesis likes this.
  17. muxaun

Tectacle biome has too beautiful images. And it is hard to animate them maintaining image quality.

Animating worms shall be much simplier - there were worms in terraria - they are composed of static sections. Like a chain. The same approach could be used for worm-tentacles.

Jedesis and Bacon like this.
  18. Gentleraptor

Gentleraptor Pangalactic Porcupine

Quite the interesting enemy! Given the game's random nature, it might not work out too well, but hey, they could always add in unique enemies.

Jedesis likes this.
  19. muxaun

I think unique monsters have to be implemented.
    Knowing that all monsters are just random-generated creatures decreases immersion and feeling of discovery.

Some monsters are too damn cool - they have to be implemented as they are. Like Alot from this thread

Jedesis likes this.
  20. Gentleraptor

Gentleraptor Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah I just kind of remembered that there already are some (Remember the Poptart?).

Jedesis likes this.