1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Your alternatives for Starbound OST

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Mr Brightside, Sep 21, 2017.

?

What do you think about chiptune (8-bit music) being used in Starbound Soundtrack?

1. It does fit!

2. Neah, it doesn't fit.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mr Brightside

Mr Brightside Void-Bound Voyager

First of all, I want to say that I deeply love Starbound Soundtrack (well, most of the songs at least, especially the Ruin's Surface theme). But let's be honest, after a long time of exploring, farming and helping your ungrateful colonists (got a seed for killing a criminal, nice) the soundtrack becomes a bit... dull, monotonous and predictable. So, I'd like to ask you: what songs from different games and genres would fit (in your opinion) into Starbound Universe? What songs and melodies would you like to listen to while doing casual stuff like mining and building or fighting with bosses and pirates in space?
    For example, what do you think about chiptune (8-bit music) being used in Starbound Soundtrack? The game itself is pixelized, it gives me those sega genesis, super nintendo vibes of good old childhood and chiptune music just makes it all better (IMHO).

2. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you're talking about muting the music for the game and listening to something else, back when Starbound was in Beta I'd mute the music and listen to Apollo Justice's Cornered Theme a lot.

3. Mr Brightside

Yeah, something like muting, I guess.

4. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There was once an old game I used to play called Well of Souls. This game allowed for the player to change everything. You could custom design your own character sprites, you could replace the music as long as you named it the same thing in the music folder, you could replace the sound effects the same way.

I suppose mods are kind of the same thing, but it'd be nice if the actual Vanilla Starbound let you use your own personal music tracks if you wanted to.

5. Mr Brightside

Well, music mods work pretty much the same, except for the standalone ones, but I mean the replacers. But yeah, it isn't that easy and requires a bit of programming. Would be nice to be able to easily change things in game like HUD or sound effects to fit your own character, mood, playstyle. I remember you could put custom music in special radiostation in many GTAs, something like that would be nice, I think.

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Changing music is pretty simple, and zero programming is required. You can change virtually anything in Starbound.

7. Mr Brightside

Yeah, but it's still not that friendly towards normal players who don't unpack files of games and search for music files, textures and stuff. Making a new weapon will take some time, especially with new sounds, changing the music may take a bit less time, but it's still not that... practical as it could be. There are now Weapons, Clothes or Music editor (creator) as a feature or a programme.

8. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You mean... modding... modding isn't practical? We have literal access to the game assets, which is a godsend for modding.

Those weapon and armor creators take advantage of the spawnitem command. That isn't modding.

D.M.G. likes this.
  9. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Buddy, are you on the GOG version of Starbound?

10. Mr Brightside

Eh, I think that modding itself isn't comfortable as it is.

11. Mr Brightside

Nope, the Steam version, I'm sure. What's the GOG version?

12. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

(Don't double post, s'il te plaît)
    Welp, there's a handfull of music replacement mods on the Workshop, you should check it out

13. Mr Brightside

Thanks for advice, I will! (Sorry for double-posting)