Your Playstyle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WMoose, Mar 17, 2013.

1. WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Whether you like to scrape by with bare minimum, or are a hardcore completionist, what is your playing style?

When playing similar games, I always wanted everything fenced, certain shaped land plots, etc. I always try to overlevel in games, like full stacks of object, hold onto potions for boss fights only, and like to map every little bit and corner in any game I play. :)

I don't even know where I'm going to begin with this game, there is so much to do! Do I mess with relationships or explore underground? Plant or harvest materials? It's all so exciting. >_<

• Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Woo all the girls!

WoxandWarf likes this.
      • WMoose

A harem would be interesting. An entirely separate house teeming with girls? Nothing would ever get done.

WoxandWarf likes this.
        • oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

Hardcore completionist here

• WMoose

Save, explore, reload, ignore dead ends, get loot.

Thank you Ys series.

• MrXIX

MrXIX Void-Bound Voyager

I like playing to experience the most complete story

• WMoose

Do you end up seeing every ending, good or bad? I loved Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for that.

• Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

I go for all endings in Visual novels usually. But not video games, damn pikmin...

• WMoose

I loved Pikmin, but it could be frustrating because of RNG with your small army.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

The thing is though, with completionism and myself, it's hard to do with Harvest Moon games, especially ones like HMDS. That was ridiculous to do and I doubt anyone 100% completed it.

MrXIX likes this.
                      • WMoose

It was possible on the SNES Harvest Moon to do EVERYTHING, but only if you had already done a full playthrough once. It was well worth seeing twice though, plus the differences in spouses were entertaining. It feels like as time moves along and newer games are developed, I am gravitating towards indie game more and more. I guess it's the familiarity or retro feel that makes me feel at home with those games.

• Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

100% complete #MLG #XxQu1ck5c0p3xX #EliteNoobSlayerArticSkullWolfFoxHound #AWP #ClanFallowedByUnderscore #SergentOfTheMasterSergentsMostImportaintPersonOfExtremeSergentsToTheMax

edit: yah im propley going to try to 100% it lol

• KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I got the "Milk your horse in the stable until you pass out" and "bump into a rock that corrupts your save" achievement in that game, does that count?

With Metroidvania platformers, RPGs, Zelda-like games, and generally games with an ending, I like to go for 100%, but with sandbox games of any kind, I usually am more lax.

• WMoose

Heh, I used to spend untold hours on FPS's till I got into WoW. Scout Servers 24/7 on Counter Strike, and it's also where I got the nickname "Shottyninja" because I could embarass people with the Shotgun.

On an unrelated note, 3D Dot Game Heroes is a fantastic game for anyone that enjoys retro style games, and is a completionists dream come true.

• WMoose

Oh god, I am so there. The one that defines it for me is Symphony of the Night. It's timeless! I play through it once a year, and it just never gets old. The last game that brought me that much enjoyment was Katamari Damacy.

• KazeSkyfox

Game that scratches that itch for me is Spyro, the very first one. Shame there aren't many games like it today. (3D platformers are more like hallways and boosters now.)

• WMoose

I agree, it seems like the focus is on skill instead of enjoyment. A lot of bland similar textured rooms with a slight variance or different theme, yet no individuality. I really liked Portal 2 for challenging that unfortunate traditon. It made you think, and you could solve things in ways the creators didn't even comprehend, yet was still challenging enough to appeal to all gamer types.

• KazeSkyfox

I swear I broke one of Portal 2's puzzles because I don't think I was supposed to solve it by walking across any surface with collision detection and making extremely tight jumps to get across a pit of acid but I like that the option was still there.

Seemed right at the time though, or maybe I just played too much Crash 2 as a kid where that same breaking the game style was an intended mechanic.

• WMoose

What about games within games? I played the heck out of Triple Triad in FF8 until I had every card collected, even went with random as a rule at one point because I had ran out of other things to do and I was young. Heh.

• Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

My first two months are usually spent upgrading tools to increase efficiency. Once that's out of the way, I have more free time during the day to do more stuff. I generally move on to the wooing shortly afterwards, while I get more upgrades.

I'm more of a farmer than a rancher.