Your ship as a vehicle

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by bk3k, Dec 2, 2015.

1. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

So we have a new vehicle system coming. I don't know all that much about the new system, but I'll tinker around with it once it is implemented. I do know vehicles won't be techs anymore, but actual persistent objects in the world. Of course I'm excited for this. So I have a suggestion... make the ships themselves into vehicles rather than just essentially small dungeons.

I'm not sure how practical an idea this is(I suspect not very). I do know it would be a lot of work even if it is possible. Sadly I don't think you could add blocks like platforms or objects like doors and chests to a vehicle(or can you?). But still this would be very, very cool to allow us to actually fly around our ship, and maybe land it if there is a suitable (perhaps we built it) landing area. Fly it through an asteroid field and try not to crash it too much.

Make the guns more than decorations too. It has been said by Chucklefish that they'd like to do space combat... well this is how you get to that point.

It would then be possible to have your ship take damage, or be totally destroyed. If damaged, you can repair it. If destroyed, you spawn in an escape capsule located on the nearest planet. Until you have a real ship again, you'll spawn there each time. You'll have to build your way back up. The prospect is easier if you have a teleporter on you and presumably a base somewhere with your stuff. You could need to mine stuff and build a small space-worthy craft - yes probably even smaller than your starter ship. That piece of junk ship can't travel systems, but can get you around the system and to the outpost - where you can build a proper ship. You'll need to re-upgrade it again to the point that you have reached.

Yes when you ship is destroyed, you'd loose your stuff on it. Yes it would suck. Yes you could come back from your loss and seek revenge.

An improvement that could enhance this idea would be proper power generation. We already have fuel, but this would be completely seperate. Mods can do it, but this should be vanilla. Your shields will require power. Navigation outside of FTL usage would require power. Your weapons require power(or perhaps ammunition). Without power, you don't have air for long. If temperature mechanics return, your ship will be a cold place absent power.

PabloElPuas and toby109tt like this.