Music Youtubers copyright strike for an ingame ambient sound

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Forcedminer, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Pangalactic Porcupine

I was chatting with a gal today and she asked if i'd pass the info on to raise awareness about it on these forums.

she uploaded a video which was the glitch barron mission where you fight all the cultists.
    when she uploaded it, it had a few copyright strikes from the ambient bird sounds.

now, no worries there she said she can easily remove them using that youtube beta thing.

the bird sounds linked to this video which was released this year.
    listen to just the intro and you should know its the usual forest/jungle kinda ambience

I don't know the bird sounds but i can only assume they were like royalty free or something to make it easy on the starbound devs while they were making the game,
    but i got a bad feeling this song might of accidentally copyrighted those bird sounds and if so other starbound youtubers might be getting these copyright warning strikes as well.

possibly streamers too if it reaches that far.

i don't plan to do anything about this other than post it here and attempt to raise awareness about it.

DemChanges likes this.
  2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I understand if it's song or music. But this is absurd. It's just a bird sound. Why in the world would people want to copyright a sound coming from a bird that can be heard anywhere on Earth?

Anyway, I don't think I want to argue with it, but again, perhaps you should address this to Chucklefish. Probably they can sort it out, and to avoid further conflict.

3. DemChanges

DemChanges Void-Bound Voyager

This reminded me of one time. My friend and me had copyright strike on seaguls that barely could be even heard in one game gameplay video yet YouTube picked it up. My friend did a research turns out the copyright doesn't even exist on it and somehow YT bot picked it up as a thing on false response. We regained ownership after he filed a despute through his lawyer, mind you this was before there was a option to do so directly on YT. It took couple of months to be resolves we got back the videos but we lost the share boost and everything related to it. Basically the videos remained ghosted like it doesn't exist thanks to this. Eventually we deleted the videos and he never reaupload it and I got sick of YT and closed down my account.

This sound effect you talk about is a free sample that people can use, it's on loop through the entire thing, somehow through the music piece it gets picked up. What needs to be done is that this person need to record it's own soundeffect and release his song again with new sample. Other then that I think this needs to be resolved through the platform that copyrights this. But then again if the person ignores it and no one press charges then I am afraid this sound effect is claimed by him through the song.

On another note, yes I am sick of these parasitic copyrights and how flawed everything is. One thing is protecting your property another is abusing it all.
    Someone spent time making these sounds and providing to us for free next thing you know some clown copyrights it. That is sick.

Genevra likes this.