1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else worried?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by lee246, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

One of the problems with unreleased games is we're all imagining it being our perfect game, the definition of which will be different for everyone. So it won't be as perfect as we imagine it.. Unless you're Tiy or something.

2. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

I'm trying to expect little of the game, so when it comes out, it will be more amazing. But that's hard to do. BECAUSE IT'S GONNA BE EPIK!!!1 AAAGHHHHH. Hopefully. ._.

3. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

There is absolutely no reason to say that the game is not going to be completed, or to claim that it isn't really in production. I have spent almost a month so far speaking with the developers on a daily basis, and I'm here to tell you they are not quitting, "fizzling out" or otherwise. The game, according to Tiy himself, is "quite far along." The team have already done extensive testing behind the scenes, and just because its not all done in the public eye, that doesn't mean it isn't happening. I think its quite unfair to the team in general to suggest that they're lying about Starbound being everything they have designed it to be.

Dementia, Cacame, Rekalty and 2 others like this.
  4. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

No, See: Minecraft.

5. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

We weren't suggesting that they would, but that the game wouldn't live up to expectations. (which is surely not going to happen ;))

6. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

From what i've seen so far, the only way this game could "fizzle out" is if they WANTED it to. And let's be honest, why would they do that.;)

7. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

This game isn't "fizzling out" If anything it is picking up steam.
    They just implemented the new lighting yesterday, and apparently they are very far along in development.
    One of the reasons we haven't seen proper gameplay, is because Tiy wants a certain standard of things to be in place before he starts showing what they have,

The thing you need to understand is, This is a team of perfectionists. They don't lower the bar to appease the fans.
    Now if we all wait patiently, we will be rewarded handsomely with our hearts delight.

FelixFB and Dementia like this.
  8. merlin.violet

merlin.violet Void-Bound Voyager

Have you not seen the lighting video? All of these features are already implemented! And the idea that the Developers are just going to quit when they have already done so much is very unlikely. They are working constantly to get the work done. Just because the release date is far in the future does not mean we have to doubt its existence!

9. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Hi guys,

You don't need to worry about that happening.
    Not only is the game pretty far along, but myself and the other devs are super dedicated.

For me, this is my day job. Some of the other devs have quit their day jobs to work on it :)

The thing about Starbound is that it has a really strange development cycle.

Usually game development is relatively linear. Let's say you create a set of levels, worlds, maps.. whatever. Often you complete one level and move on to the next (though you probably come back to polish them later).
    This means you can show off the completed levels whilst you work on the others.

Because of it's procedurally generated nature, Starbound works completely differently. Once we implement a feature.. lets say Terrain generation. Then suddenly every single planet gets procedurally generated terrain. However, on the flip side.. if we haven't implemented a feature yet, let's say the sky? Then NONE of the planets will have a sky. What this means is that until we're done (or close to done) with every part of planet generation. Every planet will look a little unfinished. This is the reason we're holding off on showing the first game play video. But we're almost there :) Most of the difficult parts of planet gen are done. We want to show you guys something sexy and polished for the first gameplay vid, so we're waiting for a few more planet gen features to be complete before we record something. All the big ones are done, so not long to wait now!

Moonbear, Sarzael, Aramadon and 27 others like this.
  10. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

I'm not too worried. Even if they run out of money to develop it most of us are already throwing our money at the screen. We'd probably triple whatever amount they needed.

And Tiy, we are willing to wait as long as that time is being used effectively. Some of us are willing to wait even if you are playing XBox in your office.

11. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

They need to set something up for us to donate to them.:) Im sure alot of people would.

12. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

Not worried. The Lighting video shows how far into development this game really is, its going to be great.

13. Etalyx

Etalyx Void-Bound Voyager

I have no doubt I'll love the game, but I do share some concerns that some of the features it has promised (since there are so, so many) may not be as big and great as our imaginations may stretch them out to be. But who knows, every single bit may be incredible. I'm naturally skeptical though and more of a visual person, so I won't love it til I try it myself :)

14. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

To be honest, it sounds and looks so AWESOME but I'm worried as to whether they can do it. It's definitely gunna be awesome, but will it be THAT awesome?

15. Emberleaf

Emberleaf Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm not afraid. I'm pretty confident that it'll turn out well. I mean, look at the lighting system. Did that disappoint?
    Also, what Tiy said above seems true. Stay tuned on the gameplay videos and you can see if it's really your "dream game."

16. Zenuel

Zenuel Cosmic Narwhal

Seconded, there's a lot of passion here and with how closely Chucklefish is working with the community and updating us with details, I doubt we'll have any unreasonable expectations. I think more than anything with the way games have been going as of late we're all just a bit worried our game will become the next Duke Nukem, or Brink, and that's completely justified, but personally I believe when a team holds something like this so close to their hearts, it's less about making the game a product, and more about making it an experience and a culture.

Skarn likes this.
  17. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

I am not really worried. I know that some on this forum will get their hopes up so high that nothing will ever satisfy them, that's just immaturity.
    If the game is created with similarities to Terraria, but with planets in space, it will sell quite well and the developers will make a handsome profit.

18. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

I still hold to the notion that the game is already playable to some extent
    even if they have to stop (which they wont) they could just produce what they have and we would still pay for it most likely

19. merlin.violet

merlin.violet Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah the game already looks like a revolutionary platformer, there is no reason why the code would just fall apart. It isn't a building that will crumble from wear, and I don't think the developers are going to ragequit and delete all their work.

20. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

This increased my faith tremendously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.