Maplestrip's Starboundsprites

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Maplestrip, Feb 27, 2012.

?

You like 'em?

1. Yes :)

37 vote(s)
    88.1%
  2. No :(

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Maplestrip

Maplestrip Existential Complex

You may request whatever you want. I read them and I decide if I want to do them or not, but I don't make any promises. Also, I work quite slow, so I'm probably not starting on your request any time soon. I hope you enjoy my art and I always like criticism. And yes, I know I suck at doing hair. I'm working on it.
    My char.png This is me.

Merchant.png Request done for Merch.

Nurse.png The Nurse, part two of my mision to change the npc's. Yes, it looks terrible, but still =)

Zebri.png Request from Zebri. Here I found out that I'm extremely bad in doing hair. It isn't my worst, but I don't like how it turned out :S I will change his hair someday.

Rainwanderer.png Rainwanderer! I made her both with and without a Pheonix Blaster, just because I was bored and thought I'd include a phoenix blaster ; ) Hope you like it!

Moh-ammad.png Moh-ammad! I hope you like it, and I hope the colors match a bit... I hope you don't mind I added a belt just so the transition from the purple pants to the black suit would be a bit better. Enjoy!

I'm planning to do more npc's, Next... I'm not sure...

Other sprites:

Rai-bot.png The Rai-bot, my submission to the big monster contest. It's the biggest and probably best sprite I've ever made. I hope you liked it.

This is all made in Mspaint =P

Axe Garian, Epicface, FN7 and 6 others like this.
  2. Wargod

Wargod Pangalactic Porcupine

It's a nice start!
    A little tip: try not using black, especially not inside the sprites. But also I've noticed that starbound sprites tend to not have so dark outlines.
    Wanna see more so keep at it!

3. Maplestrip

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Especially the beard jumps out... And my helmet...
    Thanks though =D

4. pheonix1901

pheonix1901 Zero Gravity Genie

Hey these look good! keep up the good work!

5. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

It's unsurprising that there are complications that arise from trying to combine Terraria and Starbound sprites.

I think he did a good job despite the difficulties.

6. doused

doused Scruffy Nerf-Herder

these are not bad at all. wish i could sprite like this.

7. Maplestrip

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I wil try to make the Nurse soon, though I'm having a little problem with the default sprite I used. It's gone :S
    This won't affect the quality of my sprites, though. Don't worry =)

8. Maplestrip

New content, I've finnishes with the Nurse. From now on, all my sprites will be made a little smaller (official Starbound size) and it looks like the outlines look terrible on a darker background. Yes, there is more then enough wrong about this sprite, but I hope you will enjoy it anyway ; )

pheonix1901 likes this.
  9. pheonix1901

Hey I can't find much wrong with the nurse, your progression in pixel art is going great! The size looks like the Starbound size, but always feel free to create your own style of works as well! If you would like to, I wouldn't mind seeing more variations in pixel styles in the forums.

Anyways great job, and I look forward to seeing more! :D

10. Maplestrip

Well, you are right about the variation, it's all pretty much the same on this forum... I just got a new template, though, which is the same size as the actual Starbound sprites. They're actually harder to make as there's no brish the size of these pixels in paint, but that doesn't matter much.
    I can probably make other things too. Maybe I'll make a re-color of a mech sometime, or something like that. I can't make much complicated stuff, though :S

11. pheonix1901

What I've found for Microsoft paint is if you want the brush size to be the same as the Starbound Sprites, use the smallest brush size then increase the picture size (Resize) by 200 x 200. That is the best way I've found so far.

12. Maplestrip

Yes, the problem is, the quality isn't effected if you double the size of the picture, but it is effected by halfing it. I'm now using the 2 by 2 bruch, which I also use for Terraria sprites, though I have to ad a pixel in every direction... It is possible to color 4 by 4 using the smallest erasor, which I used with the other sprites here.

13. pheonix1901

Hmm well if I find something easier to work with i'll let you know, unless you're content with paint. It's an adequate program in my opinion. Someone on the forums reccommended GraphicsGale to me, so I might check that out.

Anyways good luck! The sprites are turning out great!

14. Maplestrip

Nah, I'm fine, don't worry about me. It doesn't really matter anyway =)

15. Nightblade

Nightblade Master Chief

Could you make a guy with Clockwork/Steamounk armour and visor with a matching helm?

16. Maplestrip

Not taking any requests at the moment as I have a really busy life, but I'll consider it when that time comes =)

17. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Oooh...Can I request one for my char too, whenever you have time? =D

18. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

It's a unique style, I really like it!

19. Maplestrip

Will be a hard character to resist. When I open requests, I might consider it ; )
    Thanks, Bam = )

20. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

I will request too when the time comes ;)