Least favorite characters?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gummywyrms, May 28, 2017.

1. Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

I don't like quite a few people.

Morris - obvious.

Pierre - He is all about money. I can't express how much I hate this attitude.

Pam - She doesn't care about her daughter (no, her melancholic phrases don't count, because you can talk a lot, but you also need to do something) or the safety while driving.

Shane - He is nasty and I would never ever want him to be the father of my pixel kids. One alcoholic dad was enough for me.

Alex - He is a sexist and it doesn't stop. Even at your 10 heart scene you need to eat salad while he eats a steak. Because you are a woman and need to stay skinny.

Haley - Warming up after a time doesn't make an excuse for being a snob. Taking photos is not the kind of hobby which shows your deep personality.

Demetrius - He treats Maru like some kind of treausure. And Sebastian like shit.

Sebastian (sometimes) - He is always complaining. A.l.w.a.y.s. And on my first save he literally just stood in front of his "vase" 3 out of 4 weeks.

Clint - Always complaining, always in self pitty.

Lewis - He is a jerk.

Marnie a bit - She just drowns in self pitty instead of doing something.

Jodi is kind of flat - she only cares about the household. And Robin doesn't seem to care about her family problems.

I know, my list is very long and I tend to have only a few friends in the game because of this. A few of my favourite characters are Gus, because he is friendly from the beginning and not a jerk or Elliott, who works for his dream and doesn't give up. I can live with his strange behavior because we all have our mistakes. I just can't stand people who just drown in self pitty.
    Ok, rant over. Sorry!

Yoseiri and ChaosAzeroth like this.
    • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Souns like a standard, average disfunctional family. :)

Yoseiri and Rauchschwalbe like this.
      • HarvestDew

HarvestDew Space Hobo

caroline, jodi, pierre, and the 2 kids. Because I never remember what they like and end up handing them their hated gifts

• Aytie

Aytie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]
          Penny.

Here's why:

• She's monotonous
          • She has no ambition
          • Her favorite gift is diamonds (appreciate some damn grapes, woman.)
          • She hates beer/wine
          I could go on.
          Have you ever met someone in real life who is so utterly dull that it's annoying? That's Penny.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
            lyiall likes this.
          • Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I didn't mind Alex that much because I started off playing as a dude so no salads for me, I got mushroom risotto which sounded pretty baller. :D
            It's hard for me to really pick a disliked villager because part of me cannot deny there is an aspect of the game where it was designed to make some folks more frustrating to friendship than others. I mean I love how Maru and Elliot are really nice to you convo wise right from the get-go, but if everyone in the village had that sweet temperament I'd probably think I walked into the Stepford wives. :rofl:

I'd probably in terms of least fav chars if I had to pick it'd be Abigail and Sam. And I fully realize that is fully on me and my personal outlooks on life.

worldstraveller likes this.
            • La Chair

La Chair Big Damn Hero

I have to come to the defense of Demetrius and Shane.

Shane is not an alcoholic, he is a drunk. His drinking is a result of hiding deeper problems. Once he gets some professional help he straightens out his life and only drinks occasionally.

As for Demetrius, He's in a tough spot being a step-dad. At least he is trying based on the books in his room. As for being over protective of Maru, what father that loves his daughter isn't, especially when it comes to suitors, especially with male suitors. See, Dads remember what they were like when they were young and what they wanted at that age.

sunlite likes this.
              • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

But cmon. Demetrius doesn't want Maru talking to me in case of something more serious, but in game I'm married!

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                • Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't dislike them, but at age 31, some of the immaturity really rubs me the wrong way--especially how Sam practically sulks about being asked to do one single task during the fish dinner event. He reminds me of full-grown adults who still don't know how to do their own laundry. That said, I'm glad that there is some degree of age diversity among the singles (although the women still feel like they skew younger).

Agreed about Shane. There's a difference between being an alcoholic and using alcohol as a bad coping mechanism. Sure, the two can overlap, but I don't see that being the case for him (no indication of physical addiction, and he drastically cuts back when he starts treating his depression). To be clear, I think it's 100% reasonable for people who don't like drinking to avoid him--I feel y'all regarding alcoholics in the family. However, I think the drinking overshadows what the core of his character is actually about: living with depression, anxiety, and feelings of isolation. (I know I get stuck on this point a lot, but it's a really important issue to me for real-life reasons. I appreciate that this game makes a space for thinking about these kinds of issues.)

Demetrius, though... I feel like he gave up a long time ago if he ever did really try to have a good relationship with Seb. And Maru is an adult with her own life--something Demetrius has to get over. It's also disrespectful that he talks about her behind her back and seems to have decided what he wants her future to be (IIRC we hear it from him, but not from her). He's lucky that Maru doesn't seem to care too much, because being an overbearing parent can drive your kids away (like in Abigail's situation).

...Which reminds me, I can add Pierre to my list. I don't hate him, but I do hate the way he tries to force Abby to behave "like a young lady" and steals credit for your produce if you sell it to him.

eveeisme, WilliamZ and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                  • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Pierre's not on my hate list, but he sure gets annoying. I know he's got a competitor that wants to force him out, but geez man, pay more attention to your family. He seems to be all about money money money and doesn't have a clue what his daughter likes...

I never viewed Shane as an alcoholic, just using drink for a coping mechanism. Clearly he hates the job at Joja but feels trapped.

I think outside of Shane the only other character that I really dislike is Haley when you first meet her. *Haley is ignoring you*

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                    • Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Oh yeah. Like when I say dislike it is honestly more in the realm of "if I had to tier characters they'd be on the bottom of the list" but really I kind of enjoy everyone for who they are.

I never really got that miffed about Demetrius' and the 2 heart thing with Maru because like the next conversation I had with Demetrius was him apologizing for being kind of overbearing back there. So I was like cool, you apologized...that's actually pretty mature of you. And since there was never a repeat I just called things square. But man I think it would be neat if there was like...variations depending on your own relationship scale with some folks. Like with that being the scene in the event of you having only like 0-2 hearts with Dimetrius but if you had like 8-10 hearts the scene played out different because you are like super friends. But that's probably way more complications than a game code could handle. :rofl:

Cause it is always weird when you have a situation where you are like hecka married +1 kid already and are trying to just get folks to the 8 stars and having to go through some of their various cutscenes. X_x

• sunlite

I gave Demetrius a gold bar for his birthday and he got mad.....what?

• sunlite

Elliott tried kissing me while I was married. Let's just say we kept our distance after that, lmao.

• RashleyToff

RashleyToff Void-Bound Voyager

I'm used to everything. And I'm usually not an annoying character, annoying little things.
                            For example, I do not like a magician, because it's far away, and I'm too lazy to give him gifts. I do not like Kent, because he appears later and even with this in mind, he has very few dialogues. :( My husband Sam and the number of his father's dialogues really upset me.

I sometimes do not understand the farmer. Why does he choose things in someone else's house. For example, Pierre's event with the application. It really looks very strange.
                            Sorry for the bad english.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Awww, but M. Rasmodius is so cool though! :D

By the way, don't worry about the English. Its just fine.

Borodin likes this.
                              • AureusWolf

AureusWolf Subatomic Cosmonaut

She hates alcohol because her mother Pam is a severe alcoholic. I guess she hates it because it turned her mother into something she doesn't want her to be or something like that. I do agree its dumb she hates grapes though, I hate wine too but I LOVE grapes. They're one of my favorite fruits.

sunlite likes this.
                                • sunlite

Ooh, I love grapes too! My guess is she doesn't like grapes because wine is typically made of grapes?

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

[​IMG]
                                    I just... I don't like him, and I never will.
                                    He's like the type of person with whom you have to try your hardest to be polite. He's way too greedy, too much of a capitalist, and he doesn't spend his time (and money, because I have a theory that the stash he's hiding is a TON of cash he keeps just for himself!), with his family. It's always the shop, the shop, the shop... He doesn't seem to look at other NPC's in the valley as people but as costumers. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference between Pierre and Morris. And I find Morris more entertaining, at least.
                                    I just can't deal with Pierre, meh.

[​IMG]
                                    Second it would be Lewis, but I'll give him a break, since he's old and all. And the affair he has with Marnie (whom I adore), although I can't agree with how he treats her, it's between them both. They're adults, they know what they're doing-ish.

Seismothesaurus and ChaosAzeroth like this.
                                    • AureusWolf

AureusWolf Subatomic Cosmonaut

That's what I am also assuming as well, but still, it's stupid. Hating a drink shouldn't mean you hate what item it's made of.

The grapes themselves don't get you drunk, it's the fermentation that does that.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
                                        ChaosAzeroth and sunlite like this.
                                      • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Bearing in mind that all we know of these sketchy characters are a few bits and pieces that we extrapolate into lives and careers--it's a smart technique for forcing us to fill in the blanks.

That said, I like Lewis least. He does nothing except lead festivals, ignores the state of the Community Center, and prates about how no one has run against him--as though that were an indication of excellence. He also treats Marnie poorly.

I'm also not fond of Morris. Of course, we're supposed to dislike him. That's why he actually shows up inside Pierre's shop, offering a reduced price tag, in a gambit that would be illegal in plenty of cities and considered in really bad taste in nearly all.

I suspect the best treatment for Lewis would be removing him from office. Morris, on the other hand, should be fed to a duggy. Though it would, admittedly, be inhumane to the duggy.

Seismothesaurus and sunlite like this.
                                        • Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

I don't like Harvey, it may just be because Maru is my favorite. He just seems like a creep to me. I dislike guys that hire girls and then use that platform to pursue a relationship.

Seismothesaurus likes this.