1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

New Picture by TIY! (Biomes)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sarzael, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marokutai

Marokutai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Honestly i know i will get flame from this but it reminds me a lot of Terraria, in good and bad ways, the good ways is that from these pictures it is looking excellent and i do love it but they need to have some varying factors i know its only the biome so i cant really say much now, but i really need to see sand and etc before i can really complete my judgement
    (i realise this is a jumbled mess of writing but im sick and dont feel like going through and making it better)

2. BeenieWeenie

BeenieWeenie Star Wrangler

I commented on the front page from my Twitter, but I'll paste it here too.

-Do you like what you see? Is it pretty?
    Looks good, with the exception of the tops of the trees in the first shot (it's easy to tell where the tops of the trees begin, they look completely different than the trunks in some cases, though I bet this is just because it's alpha footage). I especially like the "twisted" design of those trees in the second shot.

-Is there enough variety from planet to planet?
    The trees themselves look very different in several ways. The only lack of variety I see is stuff that you just said isn't implemented yet; I.E. the backgrounds, grass.

-Do the forests feel cohesive in design?
    They all feel like forests, though this is largely due to the wooded backgrounds. I think the biomes could use a few more trees per screen, but other than that they are easily recognizable as forests and they seem to follow a common theme from the limited information I see here.

Great work, keep it up!

Dementia likes this.
  3. Teanji

Teanji Void-Bound Voyager

Very nice update, I think the only thing that needs changing is the backgrounds needing a little more polish. I don't know exactly why, but, they just don't fit the stuff in the foreground (even though by themselves the are amazing).

The variety is amazing, I'm loving the alien feel that each planet has. Though I'm not sure why each one has pyramids (or, at least something very similar to pyramids in the first and last screens).

4. Bismuth

Bismuth Cosmic Narwhal

If you've noticed, Tiy is a professional, he knows what he's doing. He especially doesn't need your fancy texturing guide. :zzz:

5. nomotog

nomotog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. I love how they look. They are quite beautiful.

2. They could be more varied. It seems like they are made up of a straight trunk and a leaf style. All about the same size too.

3. The trees don't match the grass. That dosen't feel right to me. You can do it, but I think it should be the exception rather then the rule.

6. Varn

Varn Subatomic Cosmonaut

well then, it is absolutely flawless

Dementia likes this.
  7. TheLickers39

TheLickers39 Star Wrangler

I feel as though there should be more trees and some kind of acid rain that hurts depending on the planet, maybe even taller trees. :p

8. Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie Cosmic Narwhal

It's awesome, go away.

SHUN THE NON BELIEVER, SHUUUUUUUUN!

Johhny39, Mianso and EpicTurdle like this.
  9. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i love the images
    i know the background trees (the pine trees) are placeholders so i cant wait to see the full thing

10. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

Damn it, my analysis video is incomplete because the homepage post didn't have that first picture xD

~ockpii

11. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

I was thinking about that Lol.

12. FN7

FN7 Big Damn Hero

It looks great only I think it needs more alpha blending.

13. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

1) They look great!

2)I think the variation is adequate. They have distinctive colors and leaf types.

What would really be super though, would be if there could be a few different "forms-" for lack of a better word- of trees. I.E. some trees grow very tall and only branch out above half-height, some have longer branches toward the bottom and shorter towards the top, some branch out all at once with almost no trunk but can still grow to a large size, etc. etc.

3) Well get the backgrounds matched and it should be good.

Other comments:

-Would it be possible for trees to gradually become taller/larger the longer they were allowed to live, as space allowed? Obviously this wouldn't be a constant growth, but maybe when each piece of terrain is getting loaded the game could check tree age and allow them to increase on whatever conditions.

-I assume wood will be a resource. Since there are different tree types, will there be different wood types? Just having a few different colors would be cool: light, grey, red, dark.

Dementia likes this.
  14. Cobalt16

Cobalt16 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm just glad the backdrop and the foreground tiles sort of match each other. I thought it would be unrealistic in that the foreground grass would be pink and the backgrounds grass would be green. So, Tiy proves me wrong yet again. :)

15. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

I am going to answer from the first page :
    Do you like what you see? Is it pretty? Yea, looks good to me
    Is there enough variety from planet to planet? Pretty much. You could always add variety, they are all recognizable as trees. From my days of reading dinosaur books I remember that the Earth at one time didn't have trees but giant ferns and that might be something you could build on instead of always having trees you could have a giant plant that acts like a tree on another world. T.E.S. Morowind had giant mushrooms and a lot of people liked that- they've even found fossils of giant mushrooms so they're not just fantasy.
    Do the forests feel cohesive in design? Yes, they do and I'm looking forward to seeing creatures in those forests!

16. Bismuth

Bismuth Cosmic Narwhal

They look cartoony, but they are kinda supposed to. Would you rather hyper realistic trees that don't line up with the rest of the game?

Breather likes this.
  17. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

its....beutiful....*sniffle* Hey, HEY, wait a minute!
    In the last one is that a dragons skeleton?!!?!?!
    WHO DARES!!!! Ohhhhhh who ever inhabits that planet is gonna pay!

blind sniper likes this.
  18. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

It looks amazing.
    I hope they have different stone colors matching the soil or something, that would be amazing.

19. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

Are they pretty?: Of course! The colors look so vibrant, but still easy on the eyes.
    Are they varied?: Yes! Only thing that needs changing are the backrounds(You're working on that)
    Do the forests seem cohesive in design?: Definitely.

20. Keirndmo

Keirndmo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I want to ride that giant skeleton serpent thing in the backround of the last pic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.