1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Squids in Space: A Splatoon Mod V3.1 ~ Hotfixes ii

A species mod based off of Nintendo's Splatoon.

1. Alpha_StevO

Alpha_StevO Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure what plans you have for a ship, BUT if you go about doing it, I think it'd be neat to see some zapfish being used to power it, similar to the bubbles you pop open at the end of campaign levels.

Maybe the final tier could have the Great Zapfish wrapped around a portion of it?

2. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Marinebeast updated Squids in Space: A Splatoon Mod with a new update entry:

Fixes & Fresh New Styles

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. Marinebeast

@ Alpha_StevO

A cool idea, but I don't know if I'll pursue it. It seems a little self-centered for someone to put the entire Great Zapfish on their spacecraft when it's already pretty cemented as an entity that exists on their planet, having enough power to fuel the energy needs of an entire city if need be. I mean, Inklings are already kinda greedy creatures by nature, but...

I might opt for the idea of having smaller Zapfish being visible in the ship design, though, that's a cool idea.

No promises on when / if I'll ever make a fully custom ship, though. It's a really daunting task and I'm not sure if I'm up to it, personally. :')

4. Marinebeast

Brief updates:

I probably won't get v1.1 out until after I'm done with classes in early-mid December. I'm just alternatively tired and low on motivation, and putting effort into even enjoyable things feels like something I shouldn't do when I have school stuff to address.

Well, here's what I've got in mind so far. Some of this is in progress, some is just planned to be worked on.

- A custom respawn animation. As of right now, this is roughly 40% done, and is probably my top priority.
    - An alternate flag, because "I had an idea and it fits perfectly". Old flags will remain but will only be craftable by 3D printing, so be sure to make one for that purpose if you like it.
    - Objects having to do with Inkling culture. Music, art, more graffiti..
    - And probably an overall re-touch of the Modernized set + the rest of it.
    - Racial status effects that interact more with the world around you, especially with liquids.
    - More codices. Quite possible are codices that are a bit less serious than the doom and gloom of the first wave.
    - Probably more hats. I love hats.
    - Another dragon slug color morph, maybe. I can't promise this.
    - I'm definitely thinking about implementing unique songs for this mod, too, but I'll have to track down .midi files of the soundtrack first so I can convert them properly.

5. qinlongfei

qinlongfei Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Kind of wondering if this is current version limitation, a bug, or if I did something wrong. But currently, Inkling guard overrides tenant spawn from other races?

I tried to put down a bunch of 'standard issue' item to spawn an Apex guard around a bunch of Apex NPCs on my starting planet but all I'm getting are Inkling guards. Not a huge deal breaker, since I can use turrets or just do quest for the normal NPCs till they are ready to join the crew (act as guard).

6. Marinebeast

@ qinlongfei

They shouldn't be overriding other species; they should just be added to the pool of potential species that can spawn. If there's Inkling stuff anywhere in the living space designated for that NPC, you're increasing the chance for them to show up, but they need that requirement satisfied to appear. Without it, they won't show up and you'll get whatever NPCs have their requirements filled by your furniture choices.
    So, yeah, it's probably a stupid oversight on my part that needs to be fixed.

I'll look at the files and priorities going on with the patching paths, since there's definitely a way to modify the priorities going on with NPC species.
    I'm not sure how long it'll take / when it'll be in an update, since NPC testing is really slow due to my Starbound running poorly when NPCs are present, but it'll 100% certainly be in the v1.1 update if not a little earlier.

Also, if it's okay to ask: what tier guards are you trying to spawn? The tier 1, 2 and 3 Inkling guards all have their racial furniture as requirements, but I forgot it for the tier 4 ones, as you can see here.
    You can tell they're tier 4 because of their armor-- tier 4 guards have the Inkling Agent armor set, which is a pretty distinctive black + yellow-green + blue color scheme.

If it's a different tier or it's happening for all tiers, then let me know, because that's really weird and shouldn't be happening. :0

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  7. qinlongfei

Sorry about not doing extensive testing before I posted my message. It was tier 4 (I kind of cheated and spawned a Durasteel bed with a cheat mode) guard.

I'm fairly sure I should be getting Apex Guard if everything worked fine since Starbounder wiki has 'standard issued' furniture with 'Apex' tag. I have two wooden doors, a durasteel bed, two weapon chests, a standard issued over, and a standard issued dresser (Which should give me combat 8+, tier 4 10, and Apex 12+ that spawn an Apex guard) but I got 3 tier 4 Inkeling Guard 3 times in a row. Haven't tried it with other race so I'm not sure if that's only Apex problem.

8. Marinebeast

There's nothing wrong with that, no need to apologize.
    But if it's exclusive to tier 4, then yeah, it was an oversight on my part with not putting in racial furniture as a requirement.

Thanks so much for pointing that out: the fix will be out in the next update!

9. qinlongfei

I did some additional testing, having a furniture with both a racial and combat tag seem to spawn the guard from the correct race pool (tried it with Floran). Also tried the configuration of two weapon chest, a bed with no tier tag and I seem to get guards from random races. So my guess is the always Inkling guard only happens with a Durasteel bed and furniture with only combat tag.

Sorry about being curious, but what furniture has Inkling tag. Can I still build them if I play as a human?

10. Marinebeast

@ qinlongfei

That sounds about right for what'll get them to show up. Combat, tier4, door + light are all necessary, and in the next update they'll require Inkling-tagged objects.

All of the furniture that's added by my mod has the Inkling tag. The bad part is that nearly all of them are race-exclusive for the time being. If you're playing a non-Inkling species, you'll have to either A. have a squid friend make stuff for you, or B. spawn stuff in with admin commands. Everything can be found in the /objects folder of the mod.

I'll add this to my to-do list: making an item that's accessible to all races that will grant the recipes for Inkling-exclusive items. Most of their foods can already be learned on pickup, and can be bought from Inkling merchants; weapons will probably only be limited to lower tiers.
    It'll be either a 3D-printable item or a mid-tiered craftable, probably some sort of high-tech tablet kind of thingie. Effective and lore-friendly, since it won't grant all the recipes-- just ones that other races can reasonably create and use.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  11. qinlongfei

Sounds really cool.

Guess I can always just remember my current character's coordinate. Start an Inkling character and fly to my current character's system and drop some furniture around.

I can't wait for your next update so I can build some Inkling colony just above the water on an ocean city legit.

12. Marinebeast

Marinebeast updated Squids in Space: A Splatoon Mod with a new update entry:

V1.0.5B: Ew, sticky...

Read the rest of this update entry...

13. dragonet64

dragonet64 Big Damn Hero

If at all possible, are you going to make a random spawn city like the vanilla races have? I think It would be awesome to see! also good job on this mod, its amazing

14. Marinebeast

It'll happen eventually! I've got other things with higher priority right now, like objects, vanilla object descriptions, and the custom respawn animation, but it'll happen at some point.
    I've got a few ideas for little encampments, so it'll start small for sure.

And I'm super glad you like my mod! :)

15. Marinebeast

Aaaaand we're back in business! My classes are done, so now I can start dedicating time to this again.
    The next big release should be sometime in January-- I'm leaving for a trip on the 26th and won't have much time for modding. But I'll definitely get v1.1 out before classes start again in early February.

V1.1 to-do list, in rough order. I'll probably be striking out easily-done things as I go..

- Iron out existing bugs and inconsistencies.
    [Edit: Tier 4 tenants, crafting issues are both fixed. Grape Tee weirdness is under testing.)
    - Polish up existing furniture items, some might get a shading / detail tweak. [Undergoing!]
    - Look at weapon damage output and see if anything needs rebalancing.
    - Objects & object descriptions. The Modernized set is gonna have a few things added to it, there's a few other pieces in the works, and I'm gonna see if I can finish off the biome-exclusive furniture set descriptions before moving onto other large sets. (Also, fix the generic tent descriptions, because they're still not working.)
    - Also, a new flag. The old one's animation is really choppy, but I've got an idea for a new one.. [Undergoing!]
    - Music stuff! I've already gotten one song transcribed into abc format that sounds pretty good, it probably won't be the only one.
    - Accessible Inkling crafting for other races, in the form of a 3D-printable item that'll grant a lot of recipes on request. [Finished, under testing!]
    - More clothes. Maybe.
    - A custom respawn animation! Possibly. It's in the works right now and needs more in-between frames to be filled out.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    2nd Lieutenant Raoni and Coricus like this.
  16. Coricus

Coricus Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, since you're back in business, I may as well pitch in a bit as well. I heard the latest Starbound update caused some compatibility issues with some mods, so I'm going to give you a .log file from the latest version just in case. Just turning the game on and doing some normal walking around and questing, I didn't notice too much off, but my Inkling ship pet was missing. I checked again and made another Inkling to check, and it doesn't seem to be loading. I did hear that pet feeding was stealth removed, so that may have done something.

Looking it over, an animation involved with the pet feeding cycle does seem to be the main error popping up. There was also one other line that popped out to me that's unrelated.

"[Error] Could not load recipe /recipes/anvil3/weapons/tier6/inklingtier6sniperalt.recipe: (ItemException) No such item 'burstbomb'"

Other than that, there's nothing my tech illiterate eyes can see that seems to be going wrong just by booting up the game and walking around a little bit. I'll leave the full file here for you just in case, though.

Also, Merry (early) Squidmas! :D

Attached Files:

2nd Lieutenant Raoni likes this.
  17. Marinebeast

o hai!

Yeah, I was suspicious that the 1.2 update had done something somewhere, and that's definitely not surprising. I'm kinda annoyed that they took out pet feeding, but I can see why they did, because pet behavior involving food has contributed to lag for me before. Less lag is always nice. :p
    I'll have that fixed up, and look into other 1.2 update changes, in good time.

As for the Bomb Rush E-Liter crafting issue, I found that last night while cleaning up weapon recipes, and it's been fixed! A tiny oversight there.

Thanks a ton for your continued testing, and you have a merry squidmas as well!

2nd Lieutenant Raoni and Coricus like this.
  18. Coricus

Well THAT's weird. Good, but weird.

1.2 sorted out the Grape Tee issue without any kind of intervention. It's got an inventory sprite now.

2nd Lieutenant Raoni likes this.
  19. Marinebeast

I actually fixed the Grape Tee issue at some point, I think? The inventory icon was having sprite size problems, so I fixed that... at some point after v1.0. The issue I've pointed out previously was some weird visual stuff during specific movement frames of those wearing the Grape Tee.. but I think I've fixed that.

Anyways, tonight's progress:
    • Pets have had their .monstertype edited to establish which tech station they spawn from. Cats spawn from "humantechstation", etc, and the nudibranch didn't have it established which tech station they're supposed to pop up from, so the game would just assume that there was no pet for the inklingtechstation object. That's been fixed, and I'll look for other issues involving nudibranches.
    • Weirdly enough, pet eating behaviors and sprites are still intact...
    • Finished sprite frames for the new flag. Despite functionally identically to a flag, it's not actually a flag anymore. ;)
    • Heavily considering making a custom sprite for the teleporter. Definitely considering. It's an object, it qualifies as "what Marine's supposed to be doing right now"!

Coricus and 2nd Lieutenant Raoni like this.
  20. Coricus

Oooh! A custom teleporter was something I was thinking of, too. Some of the mods I have installed have custom teleporters available at the 2 Shop Teleshop, and it was definitely crossing my mind that having a spawn point of some kind to use for teleportation might be aesthetically a good fit. I was almost about to suggest it a couple of times, but I kept forgetting.

I'd definitely be excited to see custom teleporters implemented. The singular usage seems to imply more for the one in the ship, but I figure it would be cool to have a nice custom teleporter for bases as well.

. . .Hopefully I'm not swamping you too much, you mentioned "teleporter" and I remembered that I really wanted to suggest that because the idea sounded cool.

*EDIT* And I don't think I say this enough, but I appreciate everything you're doing with this mod. Thank you for putting such hard work into it. Really, thank you.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016