Ability to select, accept, and reject quests

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by intrepid-explorer, Jun 23, 2015.

1. intrepid-explorer

intrepid-explorer Phantasmal Quasar

A shortfall in the quest functionality became evident when I was playing the mod Your Starbound Crew, one of whose features is that each NPC offers many quests.

When an NPC has more than one quest to offer, there is no ability to select which quest you want to talk about. Once the quest is displayed to the player, there is no option to reject the quest without first accepting it. Nor is there an option to not turn in the quest if its conditions are met. Without such a reject ability, I spent about 12K pixels on things I didn't need just talking to my new crew members.

So the first priority on this suggestion is the ability to choose whether to turn in the quest.

The second priority would be the ability to choose which quest to display when there is more than one available.

The game does offer the option to drop quests later. Therefore I would consider the lowest priority to be adding the option to not accept the quest in the first place. It would be a badly-designed quest indeed that would take irrevocable action by merely accepting the quest.

Not doing this will continue to limit the game progression to one quest per NPC at a time, which makes the game play feel more linear than you likely intended. With the upcoming changes to offer more story lines, you almost have to implement the suggestion.