1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Actual rain during a nasty bit of the game

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by navar0nius, May 5, 2013.

1. navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Because the game is named Risk of Rain, I though I'd share this idea. Some form of precipitation whenever there is more than one/two bosses AND the teleporter is active. During GROUND ZERO it could be rain, during FUNGAL CAVERN it could be shroom spores or something.
    and as a side bug report later in the game ground zero has easy and few enemies and ultra expensive chests/shops/etc,
    while fungal cavern the enemies are tough as nails but the purchasable things are dirt cheap.demo 1.0.1. fix pls

Ayer99, Alvin Flummox, Bump and 6 others like this.
    • Penjuin

Penjuin Void-Bound Voyager

I'm liking this idea.
      Although the game name is based on chance, this could tie in to make the game's name even more ambiguous.

Ayer99 likes this.
      • Salem_1337

Salem_1337 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I agree, and the location similar rain is very good idea too.

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sudden Rain Event when all around sheds by toxic rain and all mess!

DuGringo likes this.
          • Casca

Casca Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The more enemies on screen, the more rain there should be.

• ZebraJ

ZebraJ Title Not Found

I support this idea! Maybe add in a special "rainfall" battle track to go with it!

• Pastuleio

Pastuleio Risk of Rain Developer

We have thought about adding rain into the game somewhere but it has to have a meaning!
                We will keep chewing on the idea :)

Alvin Flummox and Restarter000 like this.
                • Dave Combine

Dave Combine Corporate Co-Chair

Hmm. I thought about adding my own suggestion, but... There isn't really anything to suggest XP

Nice idea, too. Maybe different elemental types of rain based on the area, like fire-rain, acid-rain, hail, etc.

• petelectro

petelectro Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just add it to the arena mode as a backround storm that gets more and more intense the more waves you survive.

• DuGringo

DuGringo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree with DNLK, if the rain is not dangerous it would not be a RISK of rain, so i guess that the rain COULD hurt the player! and the farther the lvl (or the time) it would hurt more

EDIT: not all the tiem tho.. only now and than...

• Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

It would be neat if the magma worm's fire element was to drop flaming rain from its body while going up and down. This would make the normal tactic of standing under it somewhat more dangerous.

Also perhaps if there is a City location later on with some mid/end-game significance it would make sense for there to be rain to give it a more dreary aesthetic.

Shrooblord and Dave Combine like this.
                        • Hako

Hako Aquatic Astronaut

What about having "rare" instances of normal maps where the rain is so bad that part of the level is covered in water.

Not sure what it would do mechanically, but maybe having things kind of slowed down with a breath meter or something. just an idea. :p

• Dave Combine

I actually thought about that, but then I thought it would be to hard mechanically. It is a great idea though :p

• Nixeras

Nixeras Subatomic Cosmonaut

Actually one thing I was thinking is that instead of more enemies means harder rain, it's the other way around. When you're going about normal business you're doing alright but when you notice it starts to drizzle, it's your warning signs that a boss or a large horde of enemies is incoming. Perhaps the rain attracts the monsters? Or perhaps it follows ahead of them and signals their coming. That kind of thing.

• Restarter000

Restarter000 Intergalactic Tourist

This. This would be awesome, then as the enemies are clearing up the rain clears up as well.

• pitfall

pitfall Big Damn Hero

The game has that nostalgia factor as far as graphics go, so the rain would really add into that. I also support the idea of more enemies = more rain.

• Nixeras

Nixeras Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really feel like more enemies=more rain is backwards, I think the rainstorms should be an event that cause enemies to spawn much more often and in larger groups while they're active. Or perhaps signify a boss incoming/alive somewhere. At later points in the game you'd literally never be without rain like this though and that's why I don't think the rain should be dependent on enemies and instead the enemies should be dependent on the rain.

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

As far as rain goes, I feel that the darkness caused by stormclouds has more of an effect on the atmosphere than the rain itself. Or you could reference AUS, and just put a big black curtain in the background.
                                      I'm just concerned for what would happen if the amount of rain isn't limited. My computer would surely have trouble keeping a stable framerate.
                                      That may cause performance issues as well, although, your idea is my favorite of what has already been suggested.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

If performance is the worry here, you could have an option in the menu that sets the level of detail for the rain: OFF, SIMPLEST, DETAILED or HIGHEST.
                                        Off I don't think I need to cover;
                                        Simplest would basicly be almost like a static image moving downwards, very 'cheap ass' rain, no particle effects, no physics when hitting the ground, just simple images moving in front of the background and characters and disappearing 'underneath' the foreground layer of the terrain;
                                        Detailed is basically the same, but small 'splash' graphics appear along the collision line between ground and air;
                                        Highest involves individual rain particles that can be affected by (wind,) objects or the ground and burst apart when they hit anything.

• Dave Combine

Wouldn't that remove the entire 'rain damages you' mechanic?