Modding Help Adding Additional Animation Frames

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by ObviousTrap, Jul 20, 2017.

1. ObviousTrap

ObviousTrap Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Recently I've gotten into modding, and I've got the basics down. Although, I'm having a difficult time understanding the .lua framework as to how I could connect additional armor/clothing frames based on differing movement frame. This might sound crazy and complicated, but hear me out...

I wanted to design an armor that changes depending on the the player's walking frame as depicted in malebody.png, meaning the armor sprite changes with each walking frame. I know this would be located in either a .lua or maybe an .animation or .frames file.

I've wanted to know if anyone would have an idea on how to go about doing this. I know this means modifying a .lua script file or similar file, although I don't know which one. Once again, I want to make an armor that has additional sprite frames which change based on player movement; think a chestpeice that pulses or a jacket that rustles when a player walks or runs.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The sprite sheet already does this, a different frame for each...frame...
    So you need this for head armor and and the aiming sleeves i guess?

3. ObviousTrap

Well, not exactly... As we know, Starbound only uses one armor sprite that overlays the character's body while the character walks, while arms and the body use eight sprites to make up the walking animation. I want to add additional frames in chest.frames and name them, lets say awalk.1 , awalk.2 , etc, so that the armor could change based on the relative walking sprite. Although, I don't know where Starbound calls walking (as seen in malebody.frames, walk.1) sprites when the character moves. If I knew which file calls those sprites, I could possibly expand the range of frames for armors, so instead of one, I could add eight if I really wanted to.

4. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It would be simple to just draw the chest component as a part of the pants file. But if you need them to be separate then yes we would need to use some animations or lua magic. To the best of my understanding it is called by the engine, so editing the call would not be possible.

5. ObviousTrap

I just tried to change the chest.frames to a frame grid in hopes that the engine would read each sprite as they would the pants.frames. Aaaand it didn't work because the engine only recognizes/calls for idle.1 - 3 , run, duck, and swim in chest.frames

If only you could tell the engine to change the sequence of sprites...Or, at least make chest.frames read the same as pants.frames...

6. Zanderfel

Zanderfel Big Damn Hero

Ill check it out....I have some ideas on how to tame this beast...here is hoping anyway