Other Any fanfiction writers/readers?

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by crabrangoony, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

3rd person narrtive with a 1st person perspective is the worst for me and I'm not sure since Its been forever since I last used diffent perspective but I think my story is 3rd person narrtive with a 1st person perspective....and also Roxas if ya looking for a beta to read some stuff hit me up :3

• Xireni

Xireni Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@InvaderRoxas: I'm actually slightly ashamed of my 40+ hour record, but I can't stop! But yes, setting goals will definitely help, and I can't wait to see what you come up with :3 I'm slowly putting together my piece and cutting out the fluff, because it seems to get a bit too rambly. I have this issue with character voices where I try to make them sound different, but they always end up sounding exactly the same.

@Lanx12: Dang, that's some dedication! I'd give anything to have that kind of drive and determination to write. I think a chapter takes me at least a week to write, if not more... also, because now I have SDV and a slight problem with procrastination.

@Ghostly Fox: I think looking at the world through Shane's eyes would be an excellent idea! I mean, he's in a very similar position to the protagonist before they left Joja, and he doesn't seem to have a way "out" yet, so to see his struggles would be something.

• Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

@Xireni : I don't think its really dedication as much as a strive to actually finish something...Then again i've always enjoyed writing its just now I'm braver than I was back in my younger years to actually start posting it.

• InvaderRoxas

InvaderRoxas Industrial Terraformer

@Lanx12 Will do! ^^ I'll shoot you a message once I get a good amount of work done, and feel free to have me beta test any of your work at any time! :)

@Xireni Haha, don't be! Gaming can be addicting, but in my opinion I would be proud of an insanely long run (like my 50+ hours on a game called Banished...oh boy...). And I can understand the character voices thing--I try to blend the character's personalities with their actions, eye contact, mood, and the way they speak. That helps me sort of differentiate between character dialogue, besides their individual selves, but I know that each process is different!

• Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

@InvaderRoxas I...wont get into the details of some of my...runs...-looks over at 200+ hours of a certain rpg sandbox viking like game that was the bane of his life with shouts- Yea....Motivation...but anyway yea I'm actually working on 2 other projects besides my fanfic that I would love to get some advice on once I get half way through em

• InvaderRoxas

@Lanx12 :rofl: Oh my gosh that's awesome! I've never been able to play a game long enough to get to 3 digits (then again I've only had Steam for a good couple of months), but I'll fall into that eventually!
              Oooooh, I'd love to see! I've got another, a bit more serious, project I plan on publishing in the near future, but it's still gonna take a while to get there :unsure:

Lanx12 likes this.
              • Xireni

@Lanx12: Dang, that's some dedication. Does it have anything to do dragons as well? :3 But for that game... I don't even count the hours I spent modding it any more. Nope. Not going to, otherwise it's going to be horrifying. Still, it's a determination to finish something, and that is admirable in itself! Wonder what other projects you'll be going through.

@InvaderRoxas: I haven't started Banished yet. It's been languishing on my backlog, as I never got around to it... one day. One day! That sounds like a good way to go - that way, you can differentiate easily! I do this weird thing where I run every line through my head (reportedly, my face makes the same expressions as well...) and figure out if I can see it coming out of the person's mouth. As you said, each process is different.

I've just about managed to tear myself away long enough to start outlining and maybe a few drafts for the stories. I'm juggling another one on the side, so this should be a change up from the normal, monotonous routine I've fallen into.

• InfamousFool

InfamousFool Space Hobo

I was just thinking yesterday that it might be fun to write a story, then I saw this thread. It's a game that has it's own fun narrative, but leaves it open enough that you can make your own too! Plenty of space to be creative within that world. I do feel like I need to get deeper in before doing anything though, I'm only in Spring year 1.

treebyriver likes this.
                  • Satashi26

Satashi26 Phantasmal Quasar

Definitely get in a bit more, or you'll probably keep wanting to swap your focus or get the characters wrong. Plus it's so addicting you might blink and realize it's two days in the future!

• InvaderRoxas

@Xireni Banished can be a very fun game, but at the same time very frustrating if things go wrong. That's ultimately why I took a break from it and bought Stardew Valley to play for a bit. And I get what you mean! Sometimes if I draw a character's expression out, I make the same face (which can get preeeetty awkward in public settings), so I suppose it's a creative outlet sort of thing.
                      And outlining is good! I know it can help a bunch of people with their stories, and staying on task. I'm trying it out for the first, time, and at least have the next 4 chapters planned once I'm done with this one. The only issue I find is wanting to write one later chapter over another due to it being more interesting, but I guess that's where self-patience comes in (or just saying "screw it" and writing them at the same time, whichever comes first).

treebyriver likes this.
                      • InvaderRoxas

Welcome to the thread! It might help a bit to delve into the game a bit more, but even if you're just starting out I don't think it'd be harm to work on the story, especially if it does start in spring!

• namelessgrace

namelessgrace Void-Bound Voyager

I have an idea for a story that I may end up writing if I can get my butt in gear ^^'' It would just be a one-shot, so hopefully I can get it written soonish???

It's nice to see the fanfiction community taking off for this game, though! Can't wait to read all these stories y'all are thinking up! :D

treebyriver, InvaderRoxas and Lanx12 like this.
                          • Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

Oooo I can't wait to read it if you get it up :D As well as everyone elses fanfic <3 But a bit of advice don't be like me and make the promise you'll update every Monday,Wensday, and Friday :p lol

• InvaderRoxas

Awesome! The more the merrier I always, say and can't wait to see it! :)

Lanx12 likes this.
                              • Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

@InvaderRoxas Also just finished reading your fanfic I Love it so far ! can't wait to read the next chapter :D

treebyriver and InvaderRoxas like this.
                                • Satashi26

Satashi26 Phantasmal Quasar

Chapter 2 of Stardust is up now! Lots of characters met this time around. Can't wait to get into the story a bit more, I think I'll leave more introductions for another chapter. I want to get into some magic and little cute creatures!

@namelessgrace get that butt in gear, I'd love to read something!

@thead in general: Going to start on your guys fics soon! Weekend is here so I have time now, yay! (also I'm at 67 hours in Stardew, oops!)

treebyriver, InvaderRoxas and Lanx12 like this.
                                  • Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

Woooooo more fanfic !...Wait 67 hours into stardew....-logs backinto steam to catch up-

InvaderRoxas likes this.
                                    • InvaderRoxas

@Lanx12 Thank you! :love: That means a bunch! Finally caught myself some time tonight after a busy day and was able to publish the 2nd part on WattPad this afternoon. Might just put on the Prologue in the forum here real quick.

Gonna catch my breath, play some of the game, and sit back & read all of your fanfics everybody as I recharge my brain! :DD

treebyriver, Satashi26 and Lanx12 like this.
                                      • Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

Honesty is key here And what can I say i'm hooked...tho it looks like another sleepless night tonight so Might as well write away with some awesome advice I got earlier <3 And recharging ones brain is always good o.o

• Xireni

@InvaderRoxas: Oh, boy. I saw horrific playthroughs where it took one tiny tiny move and the entire settlement collapsed. I'm staying firmly in Stardew Valley, thank you! I sometimes write one chapter out of chronological order - the one that I'm "feeling", to get the main events out of the way. Not the best practice, but it keeps me motivated... (I found your Wattpad account, by the way! Gonna go sign up to read your story - I don't actually *have* a Wattpad account...)

Back on topic though! Finally figured out the first (few) drafts of what I want to post, and then going to sit on it for a bit so tomorrow morning I can see what needs to be taken out. Hopefully, if my assignments are kind to me, I'll have them up soon.

Lanx12 likes this.