1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Avian Females

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by 1John5vs7, Jul 4, 2013.

1. 1John5vs7

1John5vs7 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Edit: I am removing my initial post since several people have said they don't think this thread will end well.

The Squid and SolidSnake like this.
  2. fallingorbit

fallingorbit Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Because the game is designed by humans who have certain expectations as to how men and women look.

3. 1John5vs7

Perhaps that expectation needs to be modified. It doesn't feel alien if it looks human. Though maybe there is a possibility of people not wanting to play a creature that looks totally unhuman. Still, breasts on a bird don't make sense.

4. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

don't forget that all races have to fit models! it's the reason we don't have oddly shaped playable races.
    Edit: too much useless work to make sure the armors fit for everyone.

5. Ricky Rouse

Ricky Rouse Zero Gravity Genie

Are you sure? I mean, just check out this bird tit.

[​IMG]

Beautiful isn't it?

6. Malvolio Portius

Malvolio Portius Pangalactic Porcupine

You want to be able to tell the difference between the genders right? Can't do that without the extremes when your working with pixels.

7. fallingorbit

Birds have breasts, they just don't use those breasts to feed their young.

8. 1John5vs7

Semantics. They don't have mammary glands is what I mean. Yes, clearly they have a chest, but it isn't a compartmentalized, fat-filled organ with comprehensive lactic-production tissue and vascular supply.

[​IMG]

HedgeFlanders likes this.
  9. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

evolutionary slandered; the breast could have been used to find a mate.

10. Malvolio Portius

It's so we can tell the difference much more easier, not to be real or not.

11. 1John5vs7

Yes. As I said in my initial post, it can be done quite readily with color themes, hair styles, etc. If males want to have those same styles, that way they can. It's their call. But things traditionally associated with females would be presumed by the average player to be female in the game I would think.

The argument that the reason all the characters have breasts is because they all have to fit a character base-model for armor etc is the best explanation of why, really. Though there again, I don't see why they couldn't just use the flat-chested male model. It's not like the male bit-models have bulging biceps or remarkably different proportions.

I guess in the final analysis, for RP purposes I could just pick a male, say it's a female, and RP it as a female because members of the species in question wouldn't really have breasts (though being ultra technical a human-sized amphibian isn't possible with the oxygen content of planet earth's atmosphere, at least...surface area:volume ratios become problematic).

Anyhoo, I'll hush and just enjoy the game I suppose. Thanks for the answers, everybody!

SolidSnake likes this.
  12. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

The avians are not birds. The hyotl are not fish. They are aliens - who's to say that life evolved quite differently on their alien planet? Maybe female "birds" on that world grow breasts because that's how they evolved. Same for the hyotl, and even the floran for that matter.

And from a user interface point of view, giving females breasts regardless of species makes it easier for us players, as humans, to know intuitively what gender other players are playing as.

Also, to be fair, the hyotl (who I assume you're talking about here) are not amphibians, as far as we know. They can't breathe underwater unless they're wearing their race's special armor, which obviously has some sort of technological bypass.

DudeUA likes this.
  13. Malvolio Portius

Color's and hair style's would can not be easily used to recognize gender, people would get confused very fast and then complain. This can't work with pixels.

14. fallingorbit

I think this is the answer that ends the debate. Good post.

15. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

I think it's not biology that counts here, it's... well, boobs. if a female of some races has none, it's probably a tribe of uncivilized savages with no civilization who just walk in circles in some stupid tribe huts.

16. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Why do the....okay so you're worried about realism in Starbound?
    Either way that's fine, let me just throw on my shark head and ride my hover-rockasaurs out of here and to the nearest fiery death planet to mine some coal.

[​IMG]
    I'll see you soon.

17. Malvolio Portius

Where's mine? I want one too.

18. Spike

Spike Supernova

Oh gosh, a TIT! A NAKED TIT! The ENTIRE BODY OF THIS ORGANISM is a TIT! You can't post naked tits on the forum! Common!

19. Loria Cesaille

Loria Cesaille Big Damn Hero

In a lot of science fiction we see alien humanoid females of all types with breasts, I actually hadn't pondered this question until now, it seemed normal to me because of that.

Now I'm not sure what to think.

20. SolidSnake

SolidSnake Existential Complex

I love the way you think, biology that makes sense is always the best way to make different species, and i find it a lot more fun and enriching to create or play as an alien species that would make sense