Biome Regeneration? Status?

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by MariSama, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MariSama

MariSama Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have been browsing the forums and the Reddit for about a week now, trying to figure out if there is any news/mods for regrowing Biomes on planets.

I want to sculpt my landscape on my home planet, but I'm finding that the grass, shrubs and flowers never grow back after you destroy them. While trees grow on bare dirt, the grass never seems to follow. WRYYYYY?!

After reading and looking around, the only thing I found were a few passing comments in the other threads here, mostly about getting tree seeds (which is finished). There was also a thread on Steam about making biomes spread like they do in Terraria, but it's since been abandoned with no real answers.

Is this feature going to be implemented and is just in the works? Is the code even moddable to allow the regrowth of biomes on plain dirt/sand/rock, etc.? I was very, very surprised to not see a mod out for this yet, so what's the deal, does anyone know what's going on with this?

2. MariSama

Seriously, not one person knows anything?

3. Direwolflord

Direwolflord Tentacle Wrangler

I was wondering about this too because when you want to flatten out a plot of land to make it look nice around your home planet/house i was a bit disappointed that i couldn't find anything that grew grass or background plants.

Other then maybe creeping in some inventory editor mod i don't think you can replace grass or plants. I think this should be fixed because trees grow when you plant them and in Terraria as long as some grass is touching a blank dirt block things regrow which is lovely, because i for one dislike seeing blank dirt everywhere

4. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

I'd suggest using the same regrowth mechanics as Minecraft and Terraria, whereby grass automatically grows on dirt after a short time. It's fairly simple and works well.

Of course, cheap grass seed to speed the process also wouldn't hurt.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't on the to-do list already.

5. Direwolflord

Yea im really hoping for it though with grass seeds there would probably end up being a large pile of them because of the different colors and types of grasses that grow depending on the planets (color) or however you want to refer to the different colors of dirt

6. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

It is possible the grass seed wouldn't need color information, as it would simply spawn grass to match the specific biome.

7. Carryall

Carryall Big Damn Hero

I'm sure this would go under the terraforming category. I bet there'll be a silver bullet mechanic like a genesis probe or something. Re-rolls the procedurally generated planet.

8. Direwolflord

I rather like the idea of making mini biomes on a planet that don't necessarily match the planets natural biome

9. MariSama

Great ideas guys, and I didn't even think about the point that they were adding terraforming. I just hope those tools are sophisticated enough to let us have free reign with the plants...because half of my builds are gardens anyway, it would be nice to be able to use grass seed or switch biomes around.

The problem here is I haven't heard anything from any official sources about this. And if terraforming covers it, isn't it on a higher teir? I think they should made grass resilient through the whole game like Terraria did, so things can get overgrown and unkempt after time. Also, the planet's default plant should regrow as characters pick the wild plants. It adds to the realism. Then save the fancy terraforming activities for a higher tech teir.

10. CyberCC101

CyberCC101 Orbital Explorer

grass is grown with grass seeds on moist tilled dirt. as for background plants idk.

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

@CyberCC101 Please note the date. Necro-posts are only allowed if you remain on topic and the topic is still relevant. Going to lock this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.