Can you have too many mods?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by astha.karki55, Oct 17, 2017.

1. astha.karki55

astha.karki55 Lucky Number 13

Hello! I was just wondering if adding TOO many mods would crash/make stardew super slow?

So far, all i have is mods that make my stardew look more cute and pastel (building changes, hair and clothes changes, interface color changes) And I wanted to add some color scheme mods as well.

I don't know if theres a limit because some of these mod are so cute and I already know im going to be adding a lot of them, so I just wanted to make sure!

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have around 50 (half SMAPI, half XNB ) and have had no issues beyond one or two conflicts to sort out.

• astha.karki55

astha.karki55 Lucky Number 13

wow okay!! i dont think ill reach 50 anytime soon. thats awesome. Thank you!

Seismothesaurus likes this.
        • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

You can mod the game until it doesn't even look like the same game and it should still run fine. If you're only swapping out xnb's then its just the visuals that change, you're not messing with the coding itself. Mod away!

• Warilized

Warilized Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have some issue sometime when launching the game.
            it takes 30 minutes or so for the game to load properly.

I have like 31 .dll mods and about 60+ .xnb re-texture/overhaul mods (I use XNBLoader to load .xnb file tho).

I don't know if it's just me... I'm not bothered at all tho.

The game runs fine btw, it just takes forever to load sometime.
            sometime it will run immediately

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
            • MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

i think there are a few mods that conflict with one another but for the most part they can all get along. the modding community seems to work together very well

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

I idly wonder if there's a Ship of Theseus threshold for replacing game files with mods. :poke:

tljacobs, Pangaea and Seismothesaurus like this.
                • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I was actually just wondering, where is the point where you're no longer playing SDV and playing a different game 'based' on the SDV engine? heh

• zwei7

zwei7 Void-Bound Voyager

I have 437 mods, no issues.
                    I use a i5 8600k and an RX580 8GB. I play at 4K too.
                    Takes 1-2 minutes to load the game from my m.2 ssd though.

• MixUpYT_

MixUpYT_ Yeah, You!

i have 200+ mods, so far no problems. takes 6 minutes to open the game [yes i used a potato] and around 5 to 7 minutes to load.

• itznicki95

itznicki95 Intergalactic Tourist

I'm currently downloading mods to play with I have around 80 so far, I think it depends on how good your pc is. It takes a couple of minutes to upload the game but so far its good, a slight lag but my pc isn't the best gaming computer.

• WhitneyFox

WhitneyFox Void-Bound Voyager

I have 611 mods currently. It only takes a couple minutes to load the game, but takes about an hour to load a save. I've read elsewhere that this could be caused by a couple mods that have weird coding (Mineral Town for example). I don't mind the wait as I don't play full screen, so I can minimize the loading screen and do other things while I wait.

• 5feetofnrg

5feetofnrg Intergalactic Tourist

I have more than 240 mods, majority of them huge and a buff P.C ... And I have a feeling my steam launcher gave up on me because I can't create a world fully before the blue circle appears and my game starts to crash... Does anyone know about a good mod supporter to help steam cope with the heavy load of all the mods?