1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Casual or Survival?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by dullreverie, May 13, 2017.

?

Casual, Survival or Hardcore?

1. Casual

2. Survival

3. Hardcore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Clavio

Clavio Void-Bound Voyager

i tried to play survival, i really TRIED but the fact that i die so OFTEN
    and all my items go to hell really leaves me raging alot so i rather play
    on casual because i don't want my keys to be forcefully detached from my keyboard again

i once had a really good run until i accidently suffocated in 500 blocks of falling sand in a cave.
    i had such good items
    my matter manipulator was not fast enough yet

and i didn't think about the fact that i could've simply beamed back up to my ship to safety
    i still can't believe that happened

have i mentioned falling damage yet

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

You know you can just go back to the planet you died on and recover your stuff, right?

3. Clavio

yes, i know that indeed!
    but i always die so unfortunately (like the sand one :nurumad:) that it would take ages to get that stuff or find it again.
    or when i know where i died and i'm trying to get there but the lack of any weapons
    makes it incredibly hard because aliens attack me and i can't defend myself and i just
    die over and over again

i think i'm just not very talented at this game

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Here's a tip: Healing Augment. Always the healing III Augment. If I find a healing II augment before I have the healing III augment, I use that. Also, how did you die in sand? Why didn't you have an epp on so you could breath?

5. Clavio

it was all way too early in the game to have any of this stuff but thanks for the tip!
    maybe i'll try starting up a new game in survival again

and also maybe i shouldn't go to incredibly risky places so early

6. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Oh. I always bother to recover my stuff regardless of where I lost it. The key to enemies killing you while trying to recover your stuff is just building around them. The matter manipulator is as OP as the fact that it's the logo of an interstellar organization would imply. Building and digging, while slow at the start of the game, always lets me get to my stuff reasonably easily. Spotted a lot of enemies up ahead? Build a dirt bridge over them and watch them not even see you. Using the ctrl key also allows you to move your screen around and see enemies early, by the way.

7. Redacted Revenant

Redacted Revenant Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been playing casual since the early days of Starbound. I'm mostly in the game for building and combat and have always hated dropping items on death and hunger mechanics.

8. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

Also remember that in survival you don't drop all your stuff, just blocks, food and consumables mostly. Importantly that includes healing supplies, so it's a good idea to keep an extra stock of them in your ship locker or someplace like that, but it's not as bad as say Mediumcore in Terraria where you lose your weapons and armor too.

It does make going deep underground quite a bit more tense though. Usually what I do is mark my way with torches. That makes it easier to get back out, and should the worst happen, it also helps me locate the place I died.

9. resistentialist

resistentialist Pangalactic Porcupine

Survival. I used to play casual but the extra layer of risk add more than you'd think. I can't just mine straight down to the core without checking my food supply beforehand, and making sure I have an exit plan in mind. I have to actually store things, like bandages and such. I might actually try hardcore now that single player can pause, since most of my deaths are afk starving...

10. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I go with survival since it's not unreasonable to recover from a loss. One of my big criticisms with Terraria's "normal" mode is that dying causes you to drop equipment as well as items, which is kind of not helpful when you're on the hardcore whoosh crikey kapow stage of the game and you're suddenly out in the middle of the wilderness naked and possibly miles away from home. That's not going to help a struggling player bounce back. Starbound cuts that bit out so death becomes acceptable to me.

11. Mr Brightside

Mr Brightside Void-Bound Voyager

My usuall choice is Survival, because Casual feels like the game is pitying me by disabling hunger (which is actually kind of annoying, but making sense) and allowing me to save my items after death. Hardcore is just simply no fun - You make a lot of progress and then suddenly die because of, I don't know, fall damage or getting into places of "insta-death" (like jumping of the Outpost or Asteroids), so I just stay with Survival, yeah.

12. FlyingFloran

FlyingFloran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I use a modded Casual that allows me to have hunger, while not losing all of my items. I tried survival on an unmodded client, got annoyed at something I lost and buggered off.