Modding Help Child Portrait, dialogue, and gifts?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by LittleCaiCai, May 26, 2018.

1. LittleCaiCai

LittleCaiCai Void-Bound Voyager

Hi there guys! I've grown VERY attached to my tiny stardew family, but wouldn't it be more interesting if your child had... a personality? I'd love to apply a portrait and some dialogue options for my child, as well as some gift options (and maybe even a few events) but... The only mods I've made are simple sprite changes! I have no idea where to even start with this!

Any help or advice is appreciated! I'm going to be looking up a great deal here on the forums and online in-general, but I'm... not really good with tech, Help would be wonderful, or if a current modder has any interest in doing this, feel free to run with it! I don't know what I'm doing in the least, so this would likely take me a VERY long time to work on.

Thank you in advance!

• newgirlde

newgirlde Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know how it'd work, but if you could move the babies elsewhere you could replace them with your own child NPCs. Then give those NPCs dialogue and personality.

LittleCaiCai likes this.
      • Alandauron

Alandauron Space Hobo

I'm no artist but I can do coding and have been spending time figuring out how to make exactly those kinds of changes. Currently I'm working on making relationships more interesting and allowing relationships with all townspeople but eventually I want to get around to making spouses and children more interesting as well. I'm fairly new to the game but heard spouses are essentially worthless once married, same goes for children. Is that still the case?

LittleCaiCai likes this.
        • newgirlde

newgirlde Void-Bound Voyager

Spouses all have some extra dialogue now and some have one or two passive things they do for you or your farm on occasion. But yeah mostly useless outside of that.

Children are...well they are nice to look at for awhile.

LittleCaiCai likes this.
          • kasuralixa

kasuralixa Orbital Explorer

I'm working on art for teenager versions of children based on spouses' looks, and actually need a programmer for adding dialogue/personality. I have absolutely no idea how to begin making dialogue even possible lol :cry: I should have my mod finished in the next week, maybe we can team up for it? I was just going to replace the toddler files after a year or so in game so they "age" since I can't even figure out how to have them age to a new artwork (like from baby to toddler).

LittleCaiCai and HopeWasHere like this.
            • Alandauron

Alandauron Space Hobo

Sounds like a plan kasuralixa, I'll start looking into the way the game changes from baby to toddler and work on a way to replicate that to turn them to your teen versions. I'm still just starting out so it might take me a few days to learn how to best utilize SMAPI and since you're adding completely new sprites and portraits(I'm assuming) from what I've been reading it sounds like we'd need a SMAPI mod rather than a Content Patcher one. Feel free to PM me for future communication if you'd prefer.

LittleCaiCai and kasuralixa like this.
              • LittleCaiCai

LittleCaiCai Void-Bound Voyager

You guys are amazing, thank you! I'm doing my own art as well. I'm still looking into coding but I'm really not good at all with the tech aspects yet. Would you guys mind if I tossed in some potential ideas for your collab/ potentially optional art variations? (I have some expression sheets ripped from a raising sim I play, but I'm working on making my own (legal) versions as well. I'm excited that this is something others have been thinking of, I could barely find anything in my web searches!

• KungfuSarah

KungfuSarah Void-Bound Voyager

https://github.com/sndcode/stardewvalleycode/blob/master/Stardew Valley/Characters/Child.cs
                  here is the code used for the children if you haven't seen it already, to my limited knowledge it seems that if the age = 1 you have a baby in the crib, age = 2 they crawl around and from the age 3 it changes to the toddler sprite, so you should be able to add to that right? I'm trying to make a mod for pregnancy events, and I have some stuff already made but pfff I'm not good with smapi mods and don't know how to make the events happen when you're having a kid. So if that sounds like something you wanna help with, feel free to!

• .Lavender.

.Lavender. Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm an artist with some SDV coding knowledge. I'd be interested in seeing if I can help with this. I was always disappointed with how dating and marriage in SDV was leagues better than Harvest Moon, until you had kids. Then Harvest Moon was superior.

SigridStorrada and KungfuSarah like this.