1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Classic Grey Alien race

Discussion in 'Races' started by Shadewarp, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

I feel a Classic Grey Alien race is missing from the game. I've always loved these Grey's in every aspect - think Grey's from X-Com games.
    I'm no shark at programming, but I have worked on stuff before - so I need time to get to know this system, what to edit and whatnot.
    I'll soon have something to show.

Background:
    You are a citizen of Zeta Reticuli, humans tend to refer to your kind as Grey's. As every other member of the Reticuli society, you are bound to set out for yourself after your young years. This expedition is to harden you to become a functioning member of the Expeditionary force. After traveling some way around, visiting planets your computer malfunctions and you drift out of fuel. Floating in orbit of an unknown planet, you must now find a way to refill your ship and find your way home to Zeta Reticuli.

Character Creation:
    [​IMG]

Before skinnyfication:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

After skinnyfication:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Only armor will look a bit odd on the character - I will make race-specific armors though (later!)

Ship:

Design 3:

[​IMG]

Features done:
    • Custom Classic Alien race
    • Custom body (slimmyfication)
    Planned features:
    This will be what I'll be working towards to begin with...
    • Custom Name generator
    • A lot more head mods
    • Custom Ship
    • Custom Background
    Upcoming:
    This will be when I get the time to expand...
    • Custom Quests
    • Custom respawn animation
    • Custom Cinematic
    • Custom Clothes
    • Villages / villagers / spawners
    • Custom Sounds
    • Custom Armors
    • Custom Weapons

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. Shadewarp

First update: Starting out

Figuring out every single file to change, has been quite the task - there are a lot. And one mistake, somewhere, will either crash the game or not make it run at all :)

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to set the hue of the skin, so that it will be at least one shade of grey - haven't happened yet... So yeah...
    At least it's progress :D

3. Shadewarp

The mod is basically playable now, but with on the one skin (seen above).

Now I'll start working on the different head options. I really want to make the body skinnier, but it will also mean I need armors and a way to deal with the weapons... I have some idea's, but nothing I'll get done right away :)

4. Shadewarp

Few more head options up (the blue is a collar... not sure if it looks ok) and a preliminary background story for the race :)

5. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

The blue collar looks weird in my opinion. Other than that I really love these. I've always been a fan of the gray.
    I hope you'll find the will and energy to go all the way and complete these guys. :)

Shadewarp likes this.
  6. Shadewarp

Yeah, not too fond of the collar myself - don't think it will make it into the final release. Maybe some markings instead or jewelery of some kind... :)

Will start working on the ship soon :) Thank you for the feedback - much appreciated :D

7. Shadewarp

So I started working on the ship design. I've pondered different approaches, and not wanting to make the ship too small (and thus rendering it nearly useless) I came up with these alternatives.

Since the ufo designs have always been sleek and without features, I went for that approach... please let me know what you think and which design looks the best of the two here. Or if you have any idea's (specially for the bottom of the ship...) please let me know :D

Ship:
    Design 1:
    [​IMG]

Design 2:
    [​IMG]

8. Gotcha!

Looking good so far. I like the shapes. I prefer the top one myself. :)
    Maybe you can make the bottom part of the top one appear more... I dunno how to explain it. Maybe like this? http://www.unitydc.co.uk/images/funnels_300/funnel_5.jpg
    Well, not like that picture ofcourse, but like the part is squeezed at the bottom. Sheesh, I hope that made sense.

Their surface is a bit too sleek in my opinion. What might be an idea is to change the top part to glass and have a cockpit there, if you know what I mean.
    Example: http://avatar.home.xs4all.nl/downloads/CC/Zealots.png (Something I created for another game. :p ) It would break the pattern for sure.
    I'd also make sure the white borders of the room fully fit inside the ship's design, without shaving.

9. Shadewarp

Yeah, after being away from it for a bit, I realized that I wasn't at all satisfied...

What I also realized is that we do have a ufo in the game already... The penguin

So I'll base something off the penguin UFO design, with a different interior and exterior, but with some of the same detailing :)

Still not getting the bitmap working, so I hope someone can help me soon with that :D Thanks for your input!

10. Shadewarp

ShipShip.png
    Tried a different approach as I said - here is the result.

Still can't get that damn bitmap file to work though !

11. Shadewarp

I've done the skinnyfication - and I actually think that did the trick. The belly with the smaller limbs, really makes them look like the Grey aliens we know! Do you agree?! :D

12. Gotcha!

Nice belly! I really love how the aliens look.

The ship's hull looks blurred, probably due to scaling. Right now the vanilla interior shows fine details while the hull has enlarged pixels.
    At the same time the edges are perfectly rounded/anti-aliased. It clashes a lot, in my opinion. It's a good start though. :)

Edit: Is this useful for you?
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/starbound-toolset.152/

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Shadewarp likes this.
  13. Shadewarp

Thanks! Yeah, not satisfied with the ship exterior yet, but it's a work in progress :) And yes, it's due to scaling ;)

Wow that tool looks amazing! I'll have to give that a go!

14. Shadewarp

Yay! Got the ship in game, thanks to that tool, I figured out where my shipship file was off the grid... apparently, the file I downloaded with a grid, is a tad off...

I still have a way to go, the windows are a bit broken, the flames are about a pixel away from the funnel and I can't get the rest of the ship lit up - but I'm getting there...

Just happy I finally got it in-game!

[​IMG]

15. Gotcha!

Well, the hard part's done, right? :)

Shadewarp likes this.
  16. Shadewarp