Crops vs Zombies!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Camz, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Camz

Camz Existential Complex

Hi folks,Well i was watching some gameplay videos on stardew valley today again and something sprung to my mind.Crops must be able to be destroyed or even wither away say from weathering if concerndApe decides to implememt a weather system or crops will wither from not attendng to the needs of your valuable crops i.e.. watering and harvesting at the right time when ripe.
    so my main thought was to make things more challenging and interesting imagine also you had the possibility of Zombies and other nasty creatures will come and spoil your day by trampling or munching your costly crops so i thought it would be cool if say you had defensive crops like giant venus fly traps what would gobble up any crops thiefs or even say spore plants what would give of a deadly gas when approached near your crop patch.So i would love to hear your thoughts on the crop vs Zombie idea and if you guys out there had any better idea's of some wierd and wonderfull crops or plants you could invent/create that would kill any unexpected visitors. thanks your trusty Cyber Cat -- Camz

• Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

This is Stardew Valley I am afraid, not Zombies vs Crops.

Well already have enough to worry about from crows and weather without having to add zombies. Besides, how would they fit in with the system? I mean, you go into caves to fight right? Some people just want to relax without unwelcome visitors banging down the doors.

Its a nice idea and all, just not what I think this game needs.

MrXIX and Wolfedg like this.
      • Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't like the idea of Zombies or turning the game into some kind of pseudo plant vs zombies. Concerned Ape has said in the past that he wants to make sure the game has a lot of different type of things for people to do what they want. Forcing people who want to farm into combat causes zombies attack their farm isn't the way to go about it. Right now it seems that combat is mainly present in the cave/wilderness areas not on your farm.

I think it could be a good possibility that wild animals might trample your plants and having a dog or fences will ward them away-- but I wouldn't want to see zombies attack.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

This is the only...bad...suggestion I've read thus far.

kattenjansson likes this.
          • Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Dr. Ivo Robotnik Contact!

hm... well... I don't think this would work too well with the core game... but I think a mod like this might be kinda cool... maybe

• Throndir

Throndir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I remember CA mentioning that eventually (not in the first release) he'll try to include modding support. Then all those ideas anyone else have can be added. Plus it would make an interesting test case to see what features people like.

• Wolfedg

Wolfedg Pangalactic Porcupine

This reminds me of the Trains vs Zombies game I saw on steam once. I was like seriously... Why not play a game that was meant to fight zombies in instead of converting a completely unrelated simulation game.
                Not trying to bash on the OP though, I think as one poster mentioned before, it could make a good mod. It never hurts to have a vast array of mods and the ability to do cool stuff with them, but as far as the core game I would prefer they stick to the current theme of things.

• Camz

Camz Existential Complex

very true guys i agree! maybe was bit over the top but i think maybe then say a cuztomible scarecrow what you could dress in different funky clothes and other perks to warn off crows and such things.

• Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

That would become Plants VS Zombies.

• Hollow

Hollow Phantasmal Quasar

I hope your farm never, ever comes under threat of monster attack simply because of how many people it would push away from the game. Don't deprive people who want a Harvest Moon farming experience of that. And Plants vs Zombies is only good as a puzzle game. :p

• Javiolanti

Javiolanti Void-Bound Voyager

Excuse me good sir. I'll have you know my Planets vs Zombies lawns were IMMACULATE and BEAUTIFUL!

• Peggy77

Peggy77 Space Hobo

I never played Harvest Moon but used to watch my son play and wished there was a game like it for PC as I've never been able to master the game controllers for console games (yea, I'm old, lol!). That son grew up and is now getting his Master's Degree in Computer Sciences and I joked to him that he was going to have to make a Harvest Moon for the PC for me -- then I found this site. I am soooo excited about this game and will be one of the first to buy it once it's available. (Told my son he doesn't have to bother now as the game is already being made -- he said good!, lol!) Anyway, I like the suggestion of a scarecrow that we can customize but please, please do not put Zombies into this game. I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead, but I want this game to be just farming, not zombie fighting. ;)

• Redheat

Redheat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry but we.don't.need.zombies.in.every.fking.game . I'm not being mean or calling your idea stupid, I'm just sick of the whole zombie thing.

• Javiolanti

[​IMG]

Scarecrows are already implemented, dear friend. Though, it seems that their use right now is unknown, I believe it'll have something to do with large crop farms become at risk against crows/etc, and that the scarecrow'll reduce likelihood.

Zombies are hardly in every game, even if there is a niche of games, there's no reason to get uppity about someone suggesting it. I do agree that the tempo of this game doesn't fit with zombies through a plants-vs-zombies type of perspective, as a tower defense portion would likely have no room or place in this style/speed of a game though.

[​IMG]

The game already has goblins and other baddie mobs, though. I can see zombies as being as one of the available mobs found in caves, etc. Perhaps a mob type who spawns in caves only during night time in game. Of course, going into a cave you're already expecting to have to fight mobs of variable appearances, so I see how they could be inserted.

Personally, I can go either way. I have no favor towards or against implementing zombies as a regular mob you might find like any other mob right now.

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

I'll just say that I don't plan on having zombie attacks in Stardew Valley.

LastDay, Bjoern_B, Blackleaf and 7 others like this.
                                • Javiolanti

If you ever change your mind, you better allow a zombie romance option. Zombette is waiting for me, and she likes doesn't like me for my body, she likes me for my BRAIIIINSSSSSSSSS. <3

LastDay, Sunako_Kirishiki and Cardbo like this.
                                  • oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

Sounds like you have an idea for a mod ;)

• centor111

centor111 Cosmic Narwhal

honestly i agree with the idea of: what happends in the dungeon stays in the dungeon.
                                      that being said: a pile of gloop once a while if you havent made a door on your dungeon wouldn't be the worst thing to happen

Blackleaf likes this.
                                      • Blackleaf

Blackleaf Oxygen Tank

Zombies attacking you inside the dungeon: Good idea.
                                        Cliche Zombies on farm: NOT GOOD

• centor111

centor111 Cosmic Narwhal

like a green slime to a hallowed armor terrarian lvl of annoying but a billion times rarer