1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Destructible environment

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DNLK, Jun 25, 2013.

1. DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it'd be interesting feature to be able to change environment. Something partially: break the walls or bridges (maybe it could do bosses), pull the levers to open some parts of the levels or something like this. Just for players be able to change map's "geography" to provide more freedom and possibilities to deal with enemies (drop something on their heads, pour the lava or poison).

bounding star likes this.
    • Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

I would really, really enjoy something like this. It could make the already hectic game even more hectic, but in a great way. Maybe you could also have secret areas with this implemented, where you'd have to break a destructable wall to get to it.

This makes me want to have a Level Editor for Risk of Rain. xD

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Okay, destructible terrain would be completely game breaking. Maybe some REALLY powerful bosses (like, just the final boss, or something) could break blocks with an attack, but the level would have to be designed around it.
        For example:

• Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Would GameMaker really support something like that?

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not all parts of level should be breakable, right? Only where it couldn't ruin movement on the map.
            Check out Spelunky for example.

• Treadlight

Destructible terrain isn't that hard to make. Game Maker doesn't use object types like Construct does.

• Shrooblord

Nah, there'd just have to be specifically designed areas that could be broken/opened up in special ways. Think of small mechanisms that lower a drawbridge, small walls that reveal a cave, small bridges that can be pierced, rock formations that can be smashed. It doesn't even have to have that much function, but it's something that makes you as a gamer go 'hah, that's neat'.

• Treadlight

That's not "destructible terrain", though. I forget what that's called. '<something> Environment'. Let's just call it 'Dynamic Environment' for now.

• Shrooblord

Destructible environment? I don't really care what you call it - the idea I considered is clear (right?).