RELEASED Dintern's Portrait Tweaks (And Alternate Portraits): Young Linus, Shane, Short-haired Sam

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by dintern, May 4, 2016.

?

Are you interested in this mod?

Poll closed May 31, 2016.
  1. Yes

64.7%
  2. No

17.6%
  3. Yes, but only Shane

17.6%
  4. Yes, but only Linus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dintern

dintern Astral Cartographer

Welcome to my thread!
    I'm slowly editing character portraits, usually making alternate versions (like a young Linus) or tweaking the existing portraits (like Shane's). See below for a list of planned mods. If you are interested in a specific character (who isn't on the list), please let me know and I will make a mod for them! :)

LINUS [WIP]

Show spoilers to view updates since 5/4. Currently, the sprites still have to be completed but all character portraits are done. There is only a brown-hair version in development.

5/4

Silver-haired young Linus

Young Linus v2 sc.png

I've taken a few years (or decades?) off Linus!
    I was going to edit his hair to make it brown or black, but then I thought "What's so odd about having a silver-haired man in a world where people have purple, pink, green and blue hair?". So I decided to keep his hair silver. :)

I always thought that Linus had a great personality, it's a shame that he isn't a bachelor.

5/5 Update

Due to popular demand Linus now with brown hair instead of silver:

Brown-haired young Linus

young linus brown hair.png

I also finished making all of his portraits!

Linus' completed portraits:
    Linus Portraits SC.png

SHANE [Complete, Portrait only mod]

5/5 Update

Shane 2 sc.png

I also made a slight edit of Shane's portrait (see spoiler above). I made his hoodie tidier and his shirt a less shocking green. I removed his stubble and also slightly edited his eyebrows, nose and jaw shape.

5/9 Update

Shane sprite sheet complete.

Shane's completed portraits:

shane sc.png

Shane's before and after comparison:

Shane before after.png

5/9 2nd Update

SHANE PORTRAIT MOD RELEASED!

Download here: http://z4.ifrm.com/30322/96/0/p1172673/Shane.xnb

Thank you SarahKik for helping me repack the files. :)

SAM PORTRAIT MOD (SHORT HAIR) RELEASED!

See spoiler for preview

Sam.png

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/61b6c0av9awbmwt/Sam.xnb?dl=0

Future Plans:

• Sam (different hair mostly)
    • maybe Penny (different hair)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    • dintern

May 5th update: Due to requests there is now a brown-haired version of Linus. I also edited all of his portraits to match. I aim to finish the sprites later today, xnb mod coming soon!

• SarahKik

SarahKik Pangalactic Porcupine

These look great :D Looking forward to your other edits!

• dintern

5/9 Update

Shane sprite sheet complete, looking for someone to help me with XNB repacking... gaah.

shane sc.png

• raelenas

raelenas Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not very good at describing things, but I can give it a shot! What I usually do to repack my .xnb files is use xnb_node. I'm gunna assume you know a little bit about it since that's probably how you edited them in the first place.

First, ya gotta make sure that the .png and .yaml files are in the same folder! I usually give them individual folders to sit in for each character, since I'm sort of nitpicky like that. Then make sure that xnb_node and all the app folder are in the same folder that contains the character's folder. (also be sure to name your folders as all one word!!!!!!)

So if you have a folder for YoungLinusSilver on your desktop, you would want to make sure that xnb_node and the app folder for it is also on your desktop.

Next get to xnb_node how you used to unpack the content, except this time instead of "extract", use "pack". Your string will look like this:

(file location where your folder and xnb_node is located)>xnb_node.cmd pack (folder with .png and .yaml in it) (the folder you want the .xnb file to go)

and then the .xnb file will go to the second folder you named in the string

I just realized that I'm assuming you're using windows for this as well, but I'm sorry I don't really understand osx or even know if it's different :c I'm sorry! In this guide, steps 1-5 and step 11 are the parts you would need to look at.

If not, then you're free to send me the .pngs and I won't mind making the xnb files for you! If you decide to expand your edits I can't really do all of the future ones, but if you want me to make them for now then I don't mind. I really like all of the portraits here, I definitely like your Shane, and I really like how your young Linus still fits in with the style of the game! One of my biggest peeves with a lot of these portrait mods is that most of them don't stay true to the original style. But your Linus looks true to CA's style, and that's really awesome!!!

• dintern

• dintern

Hey, thanks a lot for the advice! It worked brilliantly for unpacking but I couldn't get repacking to work for some reason. ): I also really appreciate you offering to help but I've found someone who is willing to help me repack the files. Thanks again!

• dintern

5/29 Sam with short hair, finished with all portraits now. Just need to make the xnb.

sam short hair.png

Mystiana and SarahKik like this.
                • dintern

5/30

Sam's portrait xnb released.

• sunbean

sunbean Void-Bound Voyager

I love that hair on Sam, looks great!

• dintern

Thank you! :)

• Mystiana

Mystiana Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks to Siv's Marriage Mod Linus is now a bachelor. Would you be willing to create duplicate versions that are compatible?

• dintern

What do you mean exactly? If you're asking about using my mod with Siv's Marriage Mod, it should work just fine. It won't affect the mod in any way (aside from Linus' appearance, of course).

• Mystiana

Mystiana Void-Bound Voyager

Marriage candidates have extra portraits and sprites added. I'm pretty sure that for the sprites you'd need something for both the flower dance and the wedding, plus I think there's almost double the portraits.

• dintern

Hmm, in the portrait .xnb I unpacked there are only the portraits shown in the preview I posted above. I don't see a different portrait for marriage; could it be that marriage and Flower Dance changes are sprite only?

Edit: I checked. There are no portraits for marriage and the Flower Dance, those are sprite only changes. I will include those when I make the sprites, that should cover everything.