1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Fix the final teleporter!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Feathers McGraw, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Feathers McGraw

Feathers McGraw Space Hobo

At the end of the fifth level, when you are about to use the teleporter to go to the final level and it gives you the option to go back to previous levels, PLEASE don't make the button to go back, the one I've been using to go forwards for the rest of the game. Make the use key send you to the final level, like with the other teleporters, instead of sending you back to the beginning because otherwise people run up to it and instinctively hit their use key. Switch the keys around, for the love of God!

AdenSword likes this.
    • Zaurok

Zaurok Void-Bound Voyager

The reason they did it this way is to make sure you know you can cycle the levels to farm if needed.
      It's better this way IMO.

• Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

They just have to change the loop one...
        Make the actual loop one go to the final would only confused the people already playing that game a lot.

Wasd_wasd likes this.
        • AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

IMO its not a big issue but it does bug me sometimes I do wish that "E" would be last level and "R" would be loop for the reason listed above
          he was not saying REMOVE it he was saying instinct makes you press "E" before thinking about it and you loop when you wanted to go to the boss (and then most likely die to the 5 magma worms)
          IDEA! have you able to REBIND the keys so those who want it can change it and those who don't can keep it the way it is.

• Smuggy

Smuggy Space Spelunker

I agree with the poster.

I think that this is indeed an issue. It is confusing to new and old alike having the "Next Level" button do something else. Looping should be the edge case not final level.

I accidentally hit loop a lot in solo. Also, I play a lot of multiplayer and it is very common for this mistake to occur. It yields a negative user experience.

The fix the poster gave would be fine or something similar.

Thank You,
            Smuggy

• Jazter

Jazter Industrial Terraformer

I like it the way it is. It's a lot more streamline this way because from stage one you're already use to pressing E(or w/e that key is). Then if you wanna cycle you have to immediately break that habit and keep pressing the other key just to keep cycling. People are saying they're accidentally going to previous level, well what if you accidentally go to the final stage. There's no going back to a previous stage once you hit that and that's way more unforgiving IMO because if you went to a previous stage, you still have the option to go to the final if you beat it.
              What I think they should do is have an option that asks "Are you sure you...?" when first decided to go to a previous stage or final stage.

• AdenSword

you like it the way it is
                and you want it changed.

Just backs up my idea of being able to rebind the keys so each can have what they want

• Smuggy

Smuggy Space Spelunker

That would be an interesting solution that would allow someone to customize their "fix". It would certainly help me.

The root issue seems to be, two game modes mashed together.
                  -> If your mindset going into a run is "loop" then the default configuration would be fine and go unnoticed.
                  -> If your mindset going into a run is "standard" then you may find issues with the default configuration.

There may perhaps be another way this can be done that is both simple and meaningful to all players. I do not have a suggestion for this however. I just know a possible solution most likely exists.

Thanks,
                  Smuggy

• AdenSword

even if not for the reason I said I think that all buttons in every game should be able to be rebound. Because playing styles differ between players like me I like to use 1234 for my skills and in most games I like to change it from up down left right to WASD. Im not left handed but rebinding keys helps left handed players play games because they prefer different button setups than right handers most of the time

Smuggy likes this.
                    • Jamato

Jamato Aquatic Astronaut

I spent 180 minutes looping before figuring out I can go further. Oops...

• AdenSword

lol you know what? I completed the temple like 5 times (in different runs) before I realized I could go on rather than loop

• Jazter

Simple answer to the non-attentive players would be a warning message.

• AdenSword

not a bad solution

• Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior Astral Cartographer

God dammit, just let me rebind the keys. This shouldn't require several discussions.

AdenSword likes this.
                              • HexZyle

HexZyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or have a "swap loop and final level keys" option in the menu.

• AdenSword

not to sound like im saying im the only right one but my solution would be best...........

its not rocket science people we don't need 99 answers

• Jazter

Might as well be rocket science with you guys having trouble dealing with the way it is in game. If you want to finish your run just press the key it's designed for. Stop being lazy and try to remember.

• AdenSword

its just instinct because 90% of the time you go to it your pressing "E" As fast as possible to spend as little time as possible and when you get to the teleporter you don't think of it untill its too late

I know its an easy thing to remember but still I do it occasionally and its really annoying (actually sometimes I see the teleporter and think of this thread and then I remember to press "R" instead of "E")

And besides like I said before all games should have all buttons able to be rebound because heck some people may even want to change WASD to 5123 on the number pad and change the use button to 6 and such because everyone has a preference it may seem weird but they do good with it

"To each his own said the old lady as she kissed the cow"

• Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior Astral Cartographer

This is nonconstructive bullshit. The teleport buttons are not a big issue, but that doesn't mean that the developers shouldn't try to make them more intuitive for the player.

• Jazter

I already gave my suggestion for a useful feature when dealing with the divine teleporter or w/e it's called. That comment you quoted was in reply to the OP talking about rocket science. Calm down and choose the right key already and stop crying.