Race [Florans] This is kinda driving me crazy...

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by BionicKraken, Dec 7, 2013.

1. phyvo

phyvo Subatomic Cosmonaut

I actually like the idea of subverting the trope. I named my Florian "Peace" before I knew anything about the game at all and honestly I like the irony. I kinda thought that's what they were going for with apex scientists too because oftentimes in sci-fi monkey people are, well, just monkeys in space, because with human apes in space already the space monkeys have to be stupider.

I don't think it's proper to approach this from a logical standpoint... logically all the sounds you mentioned are beyond the human ear and the average person hasn't heard anything but leaves rustling and branches snapping. As a result CLICK CLICK is a pretty disruptive interjection and would have confused me to no end before I googled it, prompted by you. I also tried saying those words with the extra "n"s and "m"s and it just made them sound slow, like treebeard... which is pretty much the opposite of where the game is going here. The "s"s aren't perfect because of the usually reptilian connotation but otherwise they back up the current feeling of the Florians' lore really well. I think it's fine and I like it the way it is even though it's the opposite of what I expected at first.

That said I am as confused as Gorvi as to how my Florian can even use a space ship and that could be fleshed out better then the current rare "we steal things" description. I don't think you need to change the way they speak to do that, though depending on the explanation you might change some descriptions. I haven't done the main story quests yet though because I kind of accidentally skipped them or something, so maybe there's something there.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. Cyanistic

Cyanistic Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You really should include a vote to show how people feel and what they desire.

"Do you feel Florans should sound different?"
    "Yes, they should _____!"
    "No, they should stay the same!"

And I do want the plants to stop hissing, not only because it's kind of stupid but because if a lizard/snake/reptile type of race comes into play, you have two races that hiss and such.

3. CasketBase

CasketBase Aquatic Astronaut

A way to implement the clicking noise would be to add a '-ck' or '-cks/-x' in place of some sounds, kind of like what a Germanic/Slavic accent sounds like.

"Something's not right." -> "Something-k's not right."

4. Jeszter

Jeszter Tentacle Wrangler

I think Sir Slush escalated a bit on the cannibalism subject. from what I have read, there is nothing written about them eating their children out of random thoughts. It IS said that they eat travelers for a living, and furthermore it is stated that they
    cannibalize their offspring in some kind of ...ritual? although explicitely saying it is unknown if this is of use or just social habit. In my eyes this is quite a bit deeper than "eat a kid because I can".

Some of this I read in a wikia, so don't take it like an Impressive FishSlasher and beat me to death with it ;)

5. BionicKraken

BionicKraken Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah, I looked at the wiki last night before I went to bed and didn't see any reference to it. :p Sorry if I came off as hostile, it just bugs me when people twist my words.

I thought maybe he found it in the lore books. Honestly, though, I just started this thread to address the hissing. The developers put the hissing in there for a reason, but I don't know what that reason is, so I was just throwing out some suggestions.

I'll make another thread with a poll (don't know how to add it to this one), because thinking about it - why do they need to have a speech affectation at all?

6. Sir Slush

Sir Slush Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey, they're not plants. They're plant-like. It should be just as possible for them as the 'birds, fish or mammals' you mentioned.
    I think it's a nice idea, at least as far as Starbound goes. I really like the 'peaceful plant-people' too, but I see them all the time. This feels a little bit more creative because it defies the stereotype.
    As for the idea that a tribal/primitive culture is associated with cannibalism and poor intelligence... yeah, you have a point there, but I think I'd prefer that to something like Disney's Pocahontas (not saying that's what you're suggesting, but I'm comparing two opposite-yet-common stereotypes.)

Pfft, forget it man. I don't get offended that easily. I'd only be offended if you started name-calling or something.
    The hissing I'd probably have found myself annoyed with, if it wasn't for this guy's comic. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/new-comic-shine-the-light.33123/
    As it is, I think Florans (like humans) are very diverse people with a wide range of intelligence. Some dislike their culture's history and want to present a more 'civilized' appearance of themselves to the galaxy, and others... don't.

7. BionicKraken

BionicKraken Subatomic Cosmonaut

No, it's totally cool, and it's okay if people like Florans the way they are right now. I guess I just don't like having it shoved down my throat by the game, is all (through dialogue, search function, intro lore/lore). If the game was more structured like you see it - diverse range of individuals - it would be better for me. It would feel more realistic as far as society goes. It's fine, though. I'll get used to it. :)

One last note, though: just because plants or plant-like creatures aren't cannibals doesn't mean they can't be merciless killers. It's just a mindset thing for me. I'm not saying I want them to be peaceful. I like that they take you off guard, I just wish it was in a different sort of way. I guess I didn't get that across very well.

8. Shadowsbane

Shadowsbane Industrial Terraformer

Guys. We have audio. Just implement playback of a variety of small clicking or rustling sounds as they speak.

9. Gorvi

Gorvi Subatomic Cosmonaut

I hope their ship is remade into something more organic.

I also hope the playable Florian would come from a more advanced culture, with lost tribes being accidentally "seeded' across the galaxy during the war with the
    Hylotl.