NPC Friendly NPC Jobs

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Mighty Archemedes, Sep 21, 2015.

?

Should NPC employment be a thing in Starbound?

1. Your fact pack offers a narrow and achievable Gantt chart!

100.0%
  2. You're boiling the ocean here, Michael.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mighty Archemedes

Mighty Archemedes Phantasmal Quasar

This could be argued to be a game mechanic suggestion.

I like the addition of watering to farming, as it makes more sense than simply planting crops and waiting for them to grow. However, it adds an unnecessary strain to getting any major crop operation going.

Perhaps NPCs, which have been given housing, could perform jobs for you? Such as farming, or mining, instead of paying rent? Additionally, for the sake of balance, perhaps the number of employees that you could have at a time could be related to the tier of ship you are captaining?

I could see the job being activated, and chosen, by interacting with the NPC at the Land Deed. Some tasks could be unlocked with time, or could require a specific artifact to activate.

2. ShinigamiX

ShinigamiX Big Damn Hero

I do like the idea of having an NPC farmer on my planet. They could produce a basic crop like wheat but would grow other crops if you provided the seeds to get them started. Then the 'tax' they pay to you could be whatever is produced from the seeds.

I can see mining being a little harder to deal with or just stranger in my opinion depending on how its done. It'd be harder to code and stuff if the NPCs actually mined away blocks (and could potentially damage things so this is also risky) otherwise it just feels strange if the NPC gives you ores and claims they went mining but wasn't able to prove any results, I could then put that kind of a mining NPC in some trapped box up in the sky and they'd prodce ores and claim they went mining even though that would be impossible.

3. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ummm. I'm going to assume the top vote is a yes? and the bottom vote is probably no? :badpokerface:[DOUBLEPOST=1443132682][/DOUBLEPOST]
    you could also just have a "Farmer" or "Miner" tenent who dont actually do anything but pay the rent with ore/food.

4. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i think i'd rather have the non-merchant villagers have inherent "tasks" they complete according to their origins, with most of them being useless filler where they just interact with others or certain items. a few could be farmers, hunters, or could cook a certain dish if the ingredients were present, and leave you some from time to time.

or, y'know, you could make a farm on a very rainy planet and set up a teleporter there. instead of tryng to do everything from your ship. jus' saying.

5. Domidoy

Domidoy Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea of having an actual colony. For now, all they really do is just give you stuff, but you have to build everything for them :zzz: I do wish they can mine and farm.

6. PabloElPuas

PabloElPuas Pangalactic Porcupine

Good idea

7. ADaks

ADaks 2.7182818284590...

I came here looking to see if there was a suggestion for this. I would love it. You could have NPCs that farm (and instead of rent they give crop yield), some that could follow you to fight, some to cut down and replant trees. Mining would be a beast to figure out. If you could direct them somehow to clear out a selection of blocks like a drag and stretch rectangular selection tool it would at least make it easier to clear land. You could have craftsmen, too. Since it looks like crafting many of one thing will take forever (crafting 500 blocks in nightly took me a full 5 minutes at least of just sitting in front of the table with the UI open) you could delegate it to a mason who will craft them all for you in that time while you can use it to do other things.

I love colony building but unless you make sure you get a chef, merchant or guard they're kind of useless. And if you can pay people for their work it gets rid of that end-game glut of pixels from rent. Or at least gives you a reason to keep collecting it