Race Humans being more.... human

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by T.Y.M., Dec 21, 2013.

1. T.Y.M.

T.Y.M. Phantasmal Quasar

I branded it as race as it is a series of suggestions about an already existing race but more on the npc/lore side. Right now most of the humans activities I've stumbled upon are either abandoned prisons or lonely traders, I would like to suggest a different approach.

I would like to see humans divided as always in many factions same way we have many countries on earth, each one trying to claim all the land and resources they can. This is based on my belief that we humans are very territorial by nature and even if humanity left earth united, it would end up splitting once again once scattered through space. It would also be a counterpoint of freedom and diversity vs the totalitarian regime their "cousins" the apex suffer.

Also I would like to imagine humans being more of the trader kind and resource hungry. This way we would have settlements around human mines, settlements around forests claimed by humans, settlements around large human farms and finally armored settlements built around human markets, where you could find some members of other species attempting to make some trades.

There could be huge military complex too, planets in war between factions as well as tiny poorly manteined labs and remote farms that hardly make a living.

Please leave your opinion and suggestions, any feedback is welcomed.

2. OGBigredmachine

OGBigredmachine Space Spelunker

Like the thread idea however i feel like it would bring about much more attention to the humans being on planets ect and therefore overshadow the other races slightly.

3. Unit-2417

Unit-2417 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This actually seems like a really good idea, to be honest.

Well, if it's done incorrectly, you're completely right.
    However, I'd imagine the rarity of coming across all of these things would be pretty high, that way you're not running into clusters of humans this way and that.

I think it only makes sense to have humans creating civilizations for what they can, be it mines, or be it farms.
    Not only do I think that, but I also think that if humans get mines and farms, other races should most certainly have mines and farms. Digging for ores and planting stuff isn't a human-exclusive thing.

Example: buttered toast.

All the butter in one spot? Bad.
    Spread the butter on the toast? Decidedly better.

STCW262 and Crexxer like this.
  4. T.Y.M.

T.Y.M. Phantasmal Quasar

Indeed all should have they own farms, mines, etc, just more scattered, or more controlled, more underdeveloped (florans). My point about humans is making them look more resouce hungry and more trading oriented to give them a special flavour. It doesn't mean the other races will be overshadowed, besides making this sort of findings rare.

- Florans could be the other territory hungry race, although they could be more limited to interest in planets that fit their liking (i.e. not too cold, or too dry) and could have huge colonies dedicated to collecting space trash for retroengineering.
    - The apex already have their big labs and security tight colonies
    - The hylotl could have centrals for dogmatic teaching as well as unique recycling factories for all sort of stuff and large underwater, glass enclosed cities.
    - The glitch already have their medieval castles and villages with scattered farms and could add junkyards where dead glitches are processed for spare part.
    - Avians already have their temples and towers, perhaps huge holy cities could be added with large farming lands around them.
    - Novakid could have wild west like cities as well as special placing like railroad construction areas, or tight poorly lit mines acompanied by their mining town.

5. Crexxer

Crexxer Void-Bound Voyager

I like these ideas of humans being more "resource-hungry" and conquering. I think it is a well fit for them.

Also, along with this idea, you should be able to encounter battlefields. Perhaps you will see a huge conflict of Humans battling Humans, or Humans raiding/killing/taking over other races. For example, you may see a Glitch Village only to be taken over by Humans (Like metal fences around the city, and soldiers patrolling, etc.). Maybe, you might even see on your Star Map a highlighted area that indicates that it belongs to a specific faction. And, overtime, you might get to see the territories expand, depending on the race it belongs to.

Or maybe, all of these ideas belong to a different or new race. It doesn't have to ONLY occur to the Humans.

Tazmaniac95 likes this.
  6. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

I would think human setalments should be on aried planets and farms on plains

while disolet moons, astiroids, frozen worlds, magma worlds and the like should have minning xomplexes ... . maybe part of the prisons ... penal minning collonies are common in sci-fi

7. Peachy

Peachy Star Wrangler

I think the problem with fleshing out the humans is that everyone has a different idea of what a human should be and do. In doing this you would be isolating people from what should be the most relatable race. It also doesn't really fit that well into canon for them to have colonies and towns like other races since the humans were attacked unexpectedly and wouldn't have much time to really do anything other than survive. Showing the humans scattered with no real identity helps reinforce the fact that many of them have lost their home planet and probably many of their friends and family.

STCW262 and Chrono Crow like this.
  8. T.Y.M.

T.Y.M. Phantasmal Quasar

The fact that humans were able to scatter after what happens to earth shows they have long before developed FTL technology and probably already had settlements outside, otherwise why would you want to scatter so much if you don't know where you're gonna end up? To get humanity lost forever? They would probably make large ships and put people in them and perhaps scatter in 3 or 4 directions but with large numbers of people casue they don't know how hostile the outside universe is. On the other hand I already said it would be a race focused on freedom vs the lack of freedom the apex have, the main unifying point would be the large fortified market-cities where humans can trade amongst themselves and with others. Everyone would still have plenty of room to take opver their char as they want.

My idea about humans being resource hungry and expansionist is based on both, human history and the loose of their home world, I believe humanity as a whole would want to ssecure their position in the universe even more after loosing their home planet, they wouldn't want a second earth mostly due to the events being too recent and the fear of loosing home once again. Their way to secure their place would be expansionism and resources gathering in huge scale to be prepared if disaster hits them again.

Also be mindful that with most races it is stated that your character does not follow the race mainstream, if you're an apex, you're a rebel, if you're a glitch, you're self-aware, if you're an avian, you're an atheist, why with a race that is focused on freedom shouldn't you be whatever you want no matter the race mainstream?

Tazmaniac95 and Crexxer like this.
  9. Peachy

Peachy Star Wrangler

I understand your reasoning but, your only focusing on some of humanity. For instance the Native Americans weren't very resource hungry but they are clearly humans so when you say all humans possess x trait you're always gonna leave some people or even entire cultures out of the equation.
    Also in my opinion it doesn't make much sense for a space age race to make the same mistakes and missteps the Romans did, like seriously at this point there have been how many instances of this? I mean even now people know to learn from history so why would they decide to just use and consume everything they could? ( Also I don't understand your " the player character isn't mainstream" logic because if humans focus on freedom and you aren't mainstream wouldn't you hate freedom or think everyone should conform? )

10. Crexxer

Crexxer Void-Bound Voyager

Humanity's leaders are resource-hungry. And who leads Humanity? Their leaders! So, in that case, Humans go from planet to planet in search of resources.

T.Y.M. likes this.
  11. Peachy

Peachy Star Wrangler

Humanity's leaders would want to protect humanity and it just so happens that in the past people believed that having resources would do so. Being hungry for resources however is not a quality that all humans or all human leaders would have. Saying all of humanity's leaders would all want the exact same thing just doesn't cut it.
    Reasons like this is why I think leaving it vague is better. But as a different race it would work better since the player doesn't interact with these aliens all the time and wouldn't know how they act or function as well.

12. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

If you actually read the lore, there are no human settlements because human colonization never left the solar system, while Earth itself was obliterated and turned into a Tentacle Planet.

There's no factions, no wars, no leaders, no settlements, because everyone's dead.

13. T.Y.M.

T.Y.M. Phantasmal Quasar

In first place define native americans, cause mayan city-states died out of continous wars and extreme usage of the fields around their always growing cities and they were certainly native americans, you even have examples nowaday like the japanese being so ecofriendly while eating too much tuna. About the part of not being main stream, yes it could be you are against freedom if you wish so, but it could be also that you are against the monopoly o fmarket-cities, or that you dare against territory claim or how resources are managed.

Maybe you forget how it was said there wouldn't be another war like WWI or how instead of banning (for real) nuclear weapons after what happened in Japan every other leader attempt to make their own nuclear weapons to "protect" their country. See India and Pakistan as an example of this. I am also sure some influential people would claim there's not a sure way to know what exactly caused the tentacles to appear or that we should gather resources anyway cause we don't know if the dissaster will repeat anyway in an alien planet we know nothing about or how that doesn't protect us from other possible menaces. History has repeated itself so many times already that leaders not making the same mistakes again is highly unlikely. Probably they would think they would be safe as long as resource gathering happens far away from their market-cities, and in as many palnets as possible just in case one of them fails and leaves them without their valuable resources. This doesn't mean there will be plenty of human encounters, they could be rare and base it in the fact that they have only started with their plan.

In first place if you read my OP started saying I was making LORE suggestions. Then I must say first, I said factions appeared after leaving earth and so did wars.

Finally I want to say that I appreciate the criticism, both the positive and the negative. I am trying to make a suggestion to give some flavour to human and make them look what I believe as more realistic, I try to improve it/explain it better when someone points out some flaw, but even if you still don't like it, I appreciate you at least came and posted your opinion instead of simply ignoring my post.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  14. Peachy

Peachy Star Wrangler

You might want to wait a little later until we know what the main story of the game is before asking for a lore re-write. But right now I don't think it fits the overall feel of the game. I just don't think players should be caught up in humans factions and what not when the focus of the game is discovery. I could understand if you were trying to paint humans in a new light or explore something different about humans but making them more "realistic" just feels like more of the same. I guess the whole " humans are greedy" thing is kinda bland compared to the other races because the other races surprised people while this is something they're used to. I appreciate you answering me, this was a good discussion.

15. Searif

Searif Void-Bound Voyager

Personally I'd think there would be a few types of human bases you could come across, the USCM stuff we already have, a secondary, as of yet unmentioned faction that is more of a dictatorship, similar to USSR or Nazi Germany stylizing(with the obvious absence of symbols which could offend) and then a third group, which is more friendly to the every day person, being the refugees from earth which set up various encampments which work in a similar way to avian and apex towns, but with more tents then buildings.

16. Bucketlamp

Bucketlamp Giant Laser Beams

From what it sounds like, all races are supposed to have factions eventually. Even now some races have pretty obvious factions. With the glitch you have cultists, (hostile) Royal glitch, and friendly glitch townies. With Avian we see both those who believe in murderous bird god, and those who completely oppose the religion. I think it, like many suggestions, though good, comes a bit too early in development as it seems from earlier updates (main page) factions are going to be a large thing with every race. Hopefully, this is all already planned.

17. Roselle

Roselle Pangalactic Porcupine

Okay, REALLY old thread, but I feel like I can add to it.

I feel like we are supposed to get a sort of Star Trek impression from humans, considering the Protectorate, which would be impossible if humanity at large had not progressed beyond its petty and warlike ways. However, human factions would be entirely realistic and I support this idea.

Further, why are the humans we find now so damn feckless? They mainly exist in sad little camps, in isolated scientific outposts, and sometimes as traveling merchants.

Where are the colonies, farms, and cities?

Where are the space stations?

Where are the human-run planets?

(Where the hell are the USCM?)

The only evidence we have of cities on planets outside Earth's solar system are the devastated scorched planets. It strains credulity to think that this is the extent of humans' reach and influence throughout the universe. I totally love the Mad Max-style post-apocalyptic warrior and scrounger NPCs in these biomes. They are a start, but they are not enough.

And why does it feel like the destruction of Earth is the end of humanity? Pro tip: now, in real life, we have ways to preserve seeds, DNA, and all sorts of organic material, as well as endless data, so we would not be completely screwed if a tentacle monster booped our planet. Earth, in the futuristic society shown us by Starbound, would have squirreled stuff away all over the galaxy, at least. Earth would remain vitally important, at least culturally, but we'd already be gone in a setting like this. There are replicators and all kinds of amazing tech. Why are we roughing it, sleeping on the ground? Replicate yourselves some habitation units!

I find this game's handling of the human race frustratingly unrealistic. Overall, it is like fantasy in space, and hardly anything like sci-fi.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Jappards likes this.
  18. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Do keep in mind that Starbound is very much a future fantasy game rather than sci-fi, but I do agree there should be more expansions on them, along with perhaps city planets for all races. I mean, there's no way earth was the only city planet... Right?

Jappards likes this.